Orlando Postmatch

Crowd seemed much bigger than 22,000, not sure what that's about. But it was a very quiet crowd. The team didn't give us a lot to cheer for over the first hour or so, but even after we made it 2-1, it was still mostly pretty quiet. Even the supporters' section seemed quieter than normal.
I thought it seemed much bigger than 22,000 as well. But I do disagree with you to some degree on how quiet it was, at least in the supporters section. I was in 237 and felt there was a ton of energy and noise, especially in the second half after a couple of the close missed chances. I honestly thought we were going to will the team to a draw at the end.

I came out of the game feeling disappointed but not frustrated. After reflecting on this a bit, it's because none of the major factors are super troubling IMO.

All in all, that loss hurt, but after thinking on it a while, I'm not super concerned. Football is a funny old game, where results aren't always highly correlated with overall performances, thereby driving us insane and infatuating us over and over again. Every hook has a variable reward.
Solid post, but I consolidated two points from it that I really want to drive home.

As infuriating and frustrating as that game was, and I know we didn't play particular well in the first half, I still felt like we had a good effort, and played well enough that was deserved at the least a draw.

Lets put it this way. If you're an Orlando fan, 3 points aside, are you actually encouraged by your performance yesterday? They created two chances and they finished them both. I need to go back and rewatch, but their first goal also seemed like there was not a whole ton there. It was an extremely tight window and Larin just got there.

I hate leaving points on the table, especially at home, especially to Orlando, especially to Kreis, especially when we had a chance to be at the top of the table. But I thought we played well and am not discouraged (as a whole, obviously several things individually discouraged me) by yesterday.

Solid post, but I consolidated two points from it that I really want to drive home.

As infuriating and frustrating as that game was, and I know we didn't play particular well in the first half, I still felt like we had a good effort, and played well enough that was deserved at the least a draw.

Lets put it this way. If you're an Orlando fan, 3 points aside, are you actually encouraged by your performance yesterday? They created two chances and they finished them both. I need to go back and rewatch, but their first goal also seemed like there was not a whole ton there. It was an extremely tight window and Larin just got there.

I hate leaving points on the table, especially at home, especially to Orlando, especially to Kreis, especially when we had a chance to be at the top of the table. But I thought we played well and am not discouraged (as a whole, obviously several things individually discouraged me) by yesterday.

Agreed. And as disappointing as 10 points in 7 games is, we had much worse stretches last year. I think we would all generally agree (recognizing our biases) that our odds of getting better from here on out v worse are something like 5-to-1. Which would put us at 50+ points.

Fortunately for me, I only saw the first 35 minutes before heading off to coach my son's rec league game. From that, I thought we were outplayed a bit, and the scoreline of 1-0 not totally unfair.

Reading through this thread, it seems many think we outplayed them again and just didn't finish well enough to get a result. Was the 2nd half a different story from the first?

I am beginning to worry a great deal about this team. 10 points through 7 games is not good, and that was against much easier competition than we are going to have in the next few weeks.

Fortunately for me, I only saw the first 35 minutes before heading off to coach my son's rec league game. From that, I thought we were outplayed a bit, and the scoreline of 1-0 not totally unfair.

Reading through this thread, it seems many think we outplayed them again and just didn't finish well enough to get a result. Was the 2nd half a different story from the first?

I am beginning to worry a great deal about this team. 10 points through 7 games is not good, and that was against much easier competition than we are going to have in the next few weeks.

i only think we dropped points againt MTL and should of not lost vs DC. as for orlando same story as first game...couldnt finish plus its pretty clear their GK / larin is helping giving them points.

also everyone is beating everyone in the east making it very tight and were not even a third a way into the season

True, but meh. Welcome to MLS where your expectations don't matter and everyone drops points they "shouldn't" near constantly.

In terms of week-to-week parity, MLS is a lot closer to MLB and NBA. Come to mention it, an NBA level of parity would be pretty neat, with some "super clubs" that become near unbeatable during their peak windows, but everyone generally having access to that opportunity with the right set of moves. Maybe they should beef up the homegrown rules or soften the cap to allow teams to retain their current players, to foster those periods of peak windows.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
I'm literally and figuratively hungover from that game yesterday.
LL

I'm generally of the opinion that "too late" comes earlier in MLS than people tend to realize, but I'm not worried yet. I do have concerns. We are dropping points that should have been won and could cost the team a spot or two on the table at the end. And it will be harder to qualify for the playoffs this year both as a simple matter adding one team to each conference, and more importantly because it seems the East is better on the whole.
But last year we were in worse shape later in the season and finished second in the East. Last year the team had only 18 points after 15 games of which 9 were at home. And yes, you cannot count on jumping from 1.2o PPG to 1.89 on a regular basis like last year. But it doesn't seem to matter where you finish or even if you get a bye as long as you qualify, and while the team is barely above the line right now, most of us agree it has underperformed and results are likely to improve.

I thought it seemed much bigger than 22,000 as well. But I do disagree with you to some degree on how quiet it was, at least in the supporters section. I was in 237 and felt there was a ton of energy and noise, especially in the second half after a couple of the close missed chances. I honestly thought we were going to will the team to a draw at the end.
The supporters were great yesterday! Kept singing even through the lousy display on the field.

The rest of the stadium was more muted, but was brutally loud about 4-5 times when the Ref made an obscene call on an obvious play and everybody whistled/booed him. The entire stadium let him know he sucked ass - pardon the terminology, I'm still chaffed over losing because of a bought ref.

I love PV, but we really need to stick with our formation and find the best like-for-like subs for a missing starter. We end up screwing ourselves by getting too cute to cover any holes we may have. He's a pro and smarter than I am, but our play inconsistencies have been mirrored by the inconsistencies in lineup and formation.

I love PV, but we really need to stick with our formation and find the best like-for-like subs for a missing starter. We end up screwing ourselves by getting too cute to cover any holes we may have. He's a pro and smarter than I am, but our play inconsistencies have been mirrored by the inconsistencies in lineup and formation.
I was going to comment on the lack of like for like subs, but when I started thinking about it, LB is the only place we don't have a decent back up option. Patrick leaving lewis and Camargo in the bench to get Tommy in was his own problem.

**** yes. On the road, tough attacking team that has been playing well at home, Kaka is out...

Orlando fans are experiencing what we were hoping to experience. They can trust in their coach, they can depend on Larin, they can begin to feel confident that the team is competitive without their superstar, they can trust that they can compete with anyone anywhere by making small adjustments. Take nothing away from Orlando. They fully deserved that win because they prepared and executed as necessary. We did not.

We're on pace for 48 points and we've already played the bottom of the Eastern Conference 4 times (Philly, Montreal and DCU twice). Last year, that was good enough for 4th in the East and 4th in the West.

My concern is that we haven't played Columbus, Chicago, Toronto or NJRB yet. Toronto will be good. Columbus has been good, Chicago is playing well and NJRB just has our number.

We're on pace for 48 points and we've already played the bottom of the Eastern Conference 4 times (Philly, Montreal and DCU twice). Last year, that was good enough for 4th in the East and 4th in the West.

My concern is that we haven't played Columbus, Chicago, Toronto or NJRB yet. Toronto will be good. Columbus has been good, Chicago is playing well and NJRB just has our number.

We were flat during the early part of the season. Orlando isn't a 2.5 PPG team, they will revert to the mean. We're definitely getting a summer signing which will be the equivalent of the healthy Lampard effect last year, hopefully.

Lebogang Phiri will add a Pirlo player with pace in the midfield, hopefully. Lewis will get better, hopefully. Okoli will be an option.

Oh, and we're getting Torres and Khedira, right? RIGHT?

We were flat during the early part of the season. Orlando isn't a 2.5 PPG team, they will revert to the mean. We're definitely getting a summer signing which will be the equivalent of the healthy Lampard effect last year, hopefully.

Lebogang Phiri will add a Pirlo player with pace in the midfield, hopefully. Lewis will get better, hopefully. Okoli will be an option.

Definitely hopefully.

If we believe that Pirlo is always going to be in the XI, where does that guy play? They want Maxi in the midfield, and Ring seems to be an engine for us.

Good problem to have, but where does Phiri fit in the midfield? Unless they move to a 3-4-3 full-time, which may not always work because of our lack of depth on the back-line.

Reactions: Kjbert