Poll: Cut Mix or Josh (If It Comes to That)

If neither Josh nor Mix finds a new club, on whom should NYCFC use its uncharged waiver?

• Josh

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Mix

Votes: 51 75.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
So we have some confirmation today that the club is letting both Josh and Mix look for new places to play, as has been suspected.

If neither succeeds, whom should the club cut, using its one uncharged waiver before the season starts. Vote above and show your work below. Also feel free to discuss whether you think the club will use it on the wrong guy (or not at all).

Mix. As I've stated before, takes an extra $600k off the books. Make Slosh GK #3 and waive Rawls (who's older than SJ and EJ, not exactly a prospect worth holding onto). Slosh also has some trade value down the road for a team short of a keeper.

I think it has to be Mix given the discrepancy in salary charge between the two. Saunders has zero on-field value this year since, as the 3rd GK, he would never play. Mix could, presumably, have value in some role if he ever played, but, rightly or wrongly, that doesn't seem like it is ever going to happen. Given that is the world we are living it, just do whatever frees up the most salary. If I thought Mix might have a contributing role, then there is at least a debate to be had, though I'd probably still go with him because the dollars are so valuable and even when he was playing, he was pretty clearly overpaid relative to performance.

Mix's continued presence and unresolved situation also likely has more distraction factor, though its hard to know if that really matters at all from a team performance perspective, so it doesn't really factor into the calculation for me.

Reactions: Kjbert and adam
I voted Mix but I Don't think he's in a rush to find a club. He's back in Europe having a good old time right now. Unless that's his preferred destination and he's just letting his agent do the work.

Reactions: Kjbert
Cut Josh.

- He's older and unlikely to find another team willing to picking his huge goalkeeper salary.
- He serves no purpose as he's the fourth option for goalkeeper at least as of now not being called into camp.

Why keep Mix?

- He's younger, more talented compared to Josh, and still has potential to get better, so he's more valuable to trade or transfer if that can happen.
- I still believe that if God pulls a miracle and allows Mix to play for NYCFC, he can contribute to this team.

Reactions: ktdNYCFC
I believe Josh will be the one the team uses its cut on (I just mentioned this in the roster thread). Mix's contract is obviously more expensive than Josh's, so buying out Mix the team will take a bigger financial loss. If Mix finds a team where he can get PT, I can see the team allowing Mix to rescind his contract and joining them on a free.

It's a win win for Mix and NYCFC and allowing us to cut Josh and bring our GK number down to 3. I think this is the smartest business move the team can make.

For one reason or another, Mix doesn't fit here. Forget the pipe dream of getting something out of him this season. Same for Saunders, who's probably the #3 keeper if he comes back.

So would you rather have $750 back in your pocket, or $150? Easy decision.

For one reason or another, Mix doesn't fit here. Forget the pipe dream of getting something out of him this season. Same for Saunders, who's probably the #3 keeper if he comes back.

So would you rather have $750 back in your pocket, or $150? Easy decision.
Yup. Also unclear on how long their respective contracts run, but I'd have to guess that Mix's is longer, so factor that in as well.

Reactions: Kjbert
Yup. Also unclear on how long their respective contracts run, but I'd have to guess that Mix's is longer, so factor that in as well.
Not necessarily. Consensus has two years left on Mix's deal (four years total), but Josh signed a new "multi-year" extension before last year.

This song always gets me in the feels, and its especially applicable to this situation. We need a player just like Mix, and Mix needs to play again. Maybe it just happens to turn out that, after all the animosity between the club and mix that...

Yes, they both like Pina Coladas.

(bonus appearance in the video of the Village People)

I think it has to be Mix given the discrepancy in salary charge between the two. Saunders has zero on-field value this year since, as the 3rd GK, he would never play. Mix could, presumably, have value in some role if he ever played, but, rightly or wrongly, that doesn't seem like it is ever going to happen. Given that is the world we are living it, just do whatever frees up the most salary. If I thought Mix might have a contributing role, then there is at least a debate to be had, though I'd probably still go with him because the dollars are so valuable and even when he was playing, he was pretty clearly overpaid relative to performance.
I copied my work.

ETA: wasn't going to say this, but since it's there to be copied, I'll do so in bold:

I hate Josh as a player more, but Mix is on a far worse deal, so Mix.

Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
Also, just because you can't find a taker for Saunders now doesn't mean we won't find one later or next offseason. Mix seems a lot more "sticky" due to his salary and complete failure* with the team the last two years.

*Optically. Please don't re-open the Mix debate, although I'm sure that's what this thread will become. Quick, someone quote a 90's song.

Also, just because you can't find a taker for Saunders now doesn't mean we won't find one later or next offseason. Mix seems a lot more "sticky" due to his salary and complete failure* with the team the last two years.

*Optically. Please don't re-open the Mix debate, although I'm sure that's what this thread will become. Quick, someone quote a 90's song.
I mean, you could avoid words like "complete failure". But do whatever you want. This shits been tracked all over the forum now, anyway. There's no sanctuary.

Reactions: Paul

If you want to destroy my sweater, bring up Mix in a thread and it will come undone...