Positions Explained & Post Questions Here

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
The voting is based on a basic 4-4-2 formation. This is in order to keep things simple.
Any questions please ask here!

I'm struggling to think of any scenarios at all where taking to the field with ten players is preferable to having eleven...

That said, the 4-4-2 isn't about how it suits the field. It's about that NYCFC has a mandate to play tiki-taka possession football, and to match MCFC's style of play in general. 3-5-2 doesn't suit that style, at least in my opinion.

I'd like to see a 4-4-1-1 or something along the lines of what the US national team plays which is usually a 4-2-3-1

Doesn't Kreis play a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond?

Normally yes, but on the Soccer Morning interview he went to great pains to emphasise that they're signing players for how they fit into the team ethic, and the formation will be moulded around the core players they sign first, not the other way around.

Normally yes, but on the Soccer Morning interview he went to great pains to emphasise that they're signing players for how they fit into the team ethic, and the formation will be moulded around the core players they sign first, not the other way around.
Fair enough, but the number of midfield players we seem to be linked with suggest it may end up in a very narrow formation, at least.

Fair enough, but the number of midfield players we seem to be linked with suggest it may end up in a very narrow formation, at least.
If you play a similar style to MCFC the midfielders and full backs will need to be rotated to maintain performance levels, which could explain that. Don't most of the linked mids seem to be DPs though? They might be either/ors rather than a planned group of signings.

If you play a similar style to MCFC the midfielders and full backs will need to be rotated to maintain performance levels, which could explain that. Don't most of the linked mids seem to be DPs though? They might be either/ors rather than a planned group of signings.
Yeah that makes sense. I agree for NYC to play like City they'd need marauding fullbacks to provide width, so should be a priority.

How possible would this XI be and how would you guys feel about it?

53d6a56a1c984.jpg

What about something like this.

Ronaldinho just takes the place of any 3rd DP

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 155
Is just for fantasy or real?

Who is Angelino and Ephraim? Brovsky is a natural LB not RB.

Angelino is a highly-rated MCFC youth player. I have no idea who Ephraim is, though.

Is just for fantasy or real?

Who is Angelino and Ephraim? Brovsky is a natural LB not RB.
Well, it's not real, it's just an estimate based on rumors and potentially available players (2+2 cenarios)

Angelino is an extremely highly rated MCFC academy left-back. He's 17 and has no real first team experience thus far, but City are confident that he and Pablo Maffeo on the other side will become City's 2 full backs in the future.

Ephraim is an English winger who has just been released by QPR. He has MLS experience (he played 11 games on loan at Toronto last season), and last played for Peterborough. I had seen his name mentioned on this forum before so that's what brought him specifically to my attention. Other alternatives could be Paddy McCourt (free agent), Giles Barnes (Houston Dynamo), Sal Zizzo, Soony Saad (both Sporting Kansas), Martin Rivero (Rosario Central), Brendan King (Chicago Fire) etc.

Reactions: Kinkladze
Hogan Ephraim was a disaster for Toronto last year. But it's good to think outside the box. Some of your MLS choices could be possible during the expansion draft.

Martin Rivero, who I really like, plays for Chivas USA and is hurt. I wonder if the train wreck that is CUSA will protect him.