Promotion & Relegation

MrE-if teams outside of MLS could pony up $100,000,000 they would be participating. With television rights and teams in most major cities in America, it will be very difficult for another league to compete with MLS.

Please keep in mind $100,000,000 is just the entry fee, there is much more money needed to get a successful team off the ground.

My point exactly. 100 million dollars spent on a player or two to complete a team. Another 100million spent on facilities etc But it's an Nasl club spending it. So little reward, little if any tv rights. Second class citizens so let them wither and die whilst the elitist s feed on the wealth.
The numbers are immaterial, it is the absolute bar I do not like.
It's not sport when it does not matter how good you are you are unable (as a team) to compete at the top level. At that point the top level becomes a showcase circus.

I have to laugh at that argument.
Teams pay significantly more than that in Europe, without any guarantees.
But at least they not there own destiny, without too much league interference.

Do you think Leeds United did not invest £100 000 000 or more.
T

My pointin MLS.exactly. 100 million dollars spent on a player or two to complete a team. Another 100million spent on facilities etc But it's an Nasl club spending it. So little reward, little if any tv rights. Second class citizens so let them wither and die whilst the elitist s feed on the wealth.
The numbers are immaterial, it is the absolute bar I do not like.
It's not sport when it does not matter how good you are you are unable (as a team) to compete at the top level. At that point the top level becomes a showcase circus.
If the NASL clubs had the money, they would be in MLS. Obviously they don't, therefore they can't financially compete. All leagues are based on profit and MLS is just another way of being profitable. If NASL teams were not profitable there would not be a league.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never said your college system did not draw crowds I said that the clubs are barred access to the pinnacle. Two completely different statements
So are all your teams not named ManC,ManU,Chelsea,Arsenal, and Liverpool....

Consider this, the college teams always have legendary players that are electrifying and tomorrow's "pinnacle" players. And in college, you do it for the passion of the colors, no money.

Meanwhile, in your story about Diamonds, they obviously had relatively crap players because they did not reach the pinnacle and they are all mercenaries looking for money.

So who's really worse off?

Reactions: Gene
Ugh, don't get me started on college sports. Everyone makes money except the student-athletes. They should all be paid depending on how much revenue the program brings in.

So are all your teams not named ManC,ManU,Chelsea,Arsenal, and Liverpool....

Consider this, the college teams always have legendary players that are electrifying and tomorrow's "pinnacle" players. And in college, you do it for the passion of the colors, no money.

Meanwhile, in your story about Diamonds, they obviously had relatively crap players because they did not reach the pinnacle and they are all mercenaries looking for money.

So who's really worse off?

I think you will find the Diamonds rose from lowly amateur status to professional status. Momentarily becoming the number 1 club in there region.... How many college teams have risen even as far as NASL.

You miss my point completely, I am not calling or knocking the college system, I am aware that some individual players may make the grade. The bar is with the club not being able to progress. Fans of the club or College are starved of progress.

Fans put in the hours, the travel, the money, it is they that deserve to see the reward for their efforts, just as much as the players. What is the point of supporting a team who cannot progress.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
MrE-For the love of the game! Most people (like yourself) are only interested in their team winning but the real fan (of any sport) appreciates the beauty of the game first. Of course they want to see the beauty of the game come from their team, but it is appreciated just as much even if it's not.

Last edited by a moderator:
MrE-For the love of the game! Most people (like yourself) are only interested in their team winning but the real fan (of any sport) appreciates the beauty of the game first. Of course they want to see the beauty of the game come from their team, but it is appreciated just as much even if it's not.
MrE-The Hall of Fame of any sport is full of players representing numerous teams. In addition, each sport has Dynasties that represent greatness in different eras. These Dynasties are not just from a single team.

MrE-For the love of the game! Most people (like yourself) are only interested in their team winning but the real fan (of any sport) appreciates the beauty of the game. Of course they want to see the beauty of the game come from their team, but it is appreciated just as much even if it's not.

LOL

Ok just like Eindwinder I am going to get in trouble for this, possibly get the full ban but bollocks to it.
i have tried to put a point of view forward, I have tried to express a point of view, and have taken on board many of yours.

Have you followed a team for 47 years.
Have you yo yo'ed back and forth between divisions
Have you had your mates take the piss because you wasted Saturday Afternoons watching third division football
Have you sat or stood on the terraces watching your team lose to opposition from three tiers below
Have you cried at being relegated whilst watching David Pleat do a dance of joy
Have you rejoiced at the thrill of promotion
Have you supported a team that is floundering with relegation or in a second rate division whilst your biggest and nearest rivals are winning continental cups.

Or have you jumped on a bandwagon ?

Fuckin strange how your post still shows in full when the quote button is pushed.

You lot will never understand what it is to be a fan whilst your team is floundering.
You lot will never experience the highs and lows of being a real fan

You will support your plastic league, with its elitist clubs, bragging about what you have won whilst denying the real fans from lower leagues the chance to join you....

Reactions: BlueWolf
LOL

Ok just like Eindwinder I am going to get in trouble for this, possibly get the full ban but bollocks to it.
i have tried to put a point of view forward, I have tried to express a point of view, and have taken on board many of yours.

Have you followed a team for 47 years.
Have you yo yo'ed back and forth between divisions
Have you had your mates take the piss because you wasted Saturday Afternoons watching third division football
Have you sat or stood on the terraces watching your team lose to opposition from three tiers below
Have you cried at being relegated whilst watching David Pleat do a dance of joy
Have you rejoiced at the thrill of promotion
Have you supported a team that is floundering with relegation or in a second rate division whilst your biggest and nearest rivals are winning continental cups.

Or have you jumped on a bandwagon ?

Fuckin strange how your post still shows in full when the quote button is pushed.

You lot will never understand what it is to be a fan whilst your team is floundering.
You lot will never experience the highs and lows of being a real fan

You will support your plastic league, with its elitist clubs, bragging about what you have won whilst denying the real fans from lower leagues the chance to join you....
Everyone enjoys sports in their own way. I enjoy the ability of all athletes in a particular sport, even if they play for my teams rival. Others only appreciate their own team. Either way is fine. I subscribe to a "live and let live" attitude and I have no interest in telling anyone or having anyone tell me how I should (should is a very dangerous word) be cheering, and whom I should be rooting for.

This is called having an open mind, which from reading your posts, you know very little, if anything about.

I think you will find the Diamonds rose from lowly amateur status to professional status. Momentarily becoming the number 1 club in there region.... How many college teams have risen even as far as NASL.

You miss my point completely, I am not calling or knocking the college system, I am aware that some individual players may make the grade. The bar is with the club not being able to progress. Fans of the club or College are starved of progress.

Fans put in the hours, the travel, the money, it is they that deserve to see the reward for their efforts, just as much as the players. What is the point of supporting a team who cannot progress.
[/QUOTE]
But this is PRECISELY what I meant when I said:

"You don't know enough about our college system to realize how wrong you are."

Why don't you ask tiny Butler if they feel they didn't progress when they went to back-to-back National Championship games in Basketball? Or little Boise State if they didn't feel they progressed when they beat the Goliath that is Oklahoma football in the BCS Bowl game in 2007? Or Miami when they went from Football joke to Dynasty in the 80's?

Then I'll ask Leicester City how they feel as ManC, Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manu (you know, the real top flight teams) are pounding them into nothing how they feel about their progress. :D

Your league is just as exclusive even if they do say some crap teams are in the same league.....

Oh I have an open mind,
I have an inclusive attitude.
I can appreciate good play from all (in many sports).
I subscribe very much to the live and let live attitude.

I can and will however have a point of view.

I think if you read again, without your USA USA glasses on you will find that I have only placed a different view to the American way (a view shared by the majority of the world by the way)

I will support my club in the MLS as it is a part of the City Group. I will not ever support the communism that is inherent in American sporting culture.

I understand the view that the EPL is made up of half a dozen top teams and also rans, and subscribe to that view. Remember Man City, and Chelsea were also rans a few years ago, I agree with your sentiment.

But Man City and Chelsea have had the chance to become top clubs, something you will never give (say) Cosmos unless they conform to your Elitist fantasies

Ooohh, I see the error MrE is making, he is actually trying to change someone's opinion on an internet message board.

Doesn't work that way mate.

Not trying to change anyones mid pal....
It doesn't work that way.

Without reasoned argument and proof they wont change mine.
But are the forums not about expressing points of view.

Oh I have an open mind,
I have an inclusive attitude.
I can appreciate good play from all (in many sports).
I subscribe very much to the live and let live attitude.

I can and will however have a point of view.

I think if you read again, without your USA USA glasses on you will find that I have only placed a different view to the American way (a view shared by the majority of the world by the way)

I will support my club in the MLS as it is a part of the City Group. I will not ever support the communism that is inherent in American sporting culture.

I understand the view that the EPL is made up of half a dozen top teams and also rans, and subscribe to that view. Remember Man City, and Chelsea were also rans a few years ago, I agree with your sentiment.

But Man City and Chelsea have had the chance to become top clubs, something you will never give (say) Cosmos unless they conform to your Elitist fantasies
You must be an excellent athlete. I have never seen anyone pedal forward and backward at the same time.

You must be an excellent athlete. I have never seen anyone pedal forward and backward at the same time.

I have re read my post and it says what I want to.

If you are going to be a smart arse - first you have to be smart. Otherwise you are just an arse.

I have re read my post and it says what I want to.

If you are going to be a smart arse - first you have to be smart. Otherwise you are just an arse.
As I stated before, you are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine.