Proud Of Our Fanbase

I figure I should elaborate on my experience. The TR (Whom I don't care for full disclosure) Was loud passionate in a Frat Boy sort of way. It's not my thing. If they get together in unison as they sounded scattered they may turn out to be a decent sound out in center field. There was no need to swear though. Not saying I am against swearing but that sounded like there main chant (Fuck New England). If a song has a swear or two fine but with all the rules already imposed by Yankee Stadium do they really want to get penalties imposed on top of the draconian rules? The fans in my section were standing the whole match which was wonderful. Backing up to the entry in the stadium there were a few problems. I wanted to walk in Gate 8 and walk around the inside going to my seats after 20 minutes in line just as I was getting to the front of the line they announced the scanners were broken get out of line and go to the next part of Gate 8. Upon over hearing that they should be open in a few minutes I said I would wait. I was the only person that stayed. 10 minutes later the scanners were fixed and I walked in. The store by there was obviously crowed but they did brisk business I bought my scarf disappointed that it was a half and half but it was what they had for the First Home Game scarf. Found my seats and settled in meeting people around me and taking the prerequisite pic from my seat. The only problem I had with some fans (besides some of the chanting but I touched on that earlier) was the amount of people that did not take their hats off during the anthem. It was an amazing match. We did get lucky a few times with misses and such that had the heart racing. I got to put the Jumbo in the Jumbotron when I got put on it. Great party out in the street with the guys from BBSC cheering and chanting. Lastly the knowing smiles and nods on the 4 train back to Manhattan from the fellow wearers of Sky Blue. What a home opener I am sure that the kinks will be worked out as the season goes on and how about that pitch wasn't it nice?
i was in the next section over, you guys were killing it all game long! you all were standing, my whole section, 10 feet 3 feet away were all sitting...

damn, why don't you non-TR folks tell us what you really think?

In seriousness, yea, we need some work: capos and/or multiple bigger drums might help (fat chance w/yankee rules in place on that 2nd item), plus distributing chant sheets out, at least at first. But Rome wasn't built in a day; it isn't as easy as ESC, TA, or some of the other more successful MLS supporters groups make it look. I'm just glad just about the whole place was singing, chanting, doing whatever to get involved, and standing mostly. At first I was a bit miffed at some of the criticism of our first go at this kind of thing as a unified group, but now I realize I'd rather 235-238 get (constructive and polite) suggestions from the rest of the stands as to how to step it up than not, because it shows how much passion is intermingled throughout the stadium.

Forza Celeste! Oggi combatiamo! Oggi conquistiamo!

I feel the Yankee stadium rules are stacked against the supporters in some ways (TIFO, flags, banners, smoke, drums) but we just need to show our passion on game day, coordinate songs and chants in advance of game day as much as possible, and prioritize our fight for the changes we feel are most important to enhance the stadium experience. Keep up the great "Third Rail" work!!!

Reactions: Comeonyouboysinblue
yeah we were loud but sound doesn't carry well in that stadium....away support could be heard because they had the roof over their head so it trapped the sound....once we have our own stadium it will be great for keeping noise in and it will be properly mic'd for TV...until then we just make the best of it

Was standing in the Third Rail section and it seemed like some of the chants that had the best chance of getting going were the ones being sung in Spanish. It was awesome, I was trying to listen out for the words so I could try and join in, but they eventually got shouted down by the guys behind me who preferred to yell random Spanish words and "Kick him in the dick", which they giggled at constantly.

Please let's not have capos, I want to watch the game, not a bearded cheerleader with a Napoleon complex.

Reactions: Shotofjmoh
Was standing in the Third Rail section and it seemed like some of the chants that had the best chance of getting going were the ones being sung in Spanish. It was awesome, I was trying to listen out for the words so I could try and join in, but they eventually got shouted down by the guys behind me who preferred to yell random Spanish words and "Kick him in the dick", which they giggled at constantly.

Please let's not have capos, I want to watch the game, not a bearded cheerleader with a Napoleon complex.

because yes, kicking another player in the dick will not result in a card. ever...

Yea I was a bit frustrated with that. My section had everyone standing at first then you had that "a-hole" yelling sit down so our area was seated most of the game. Honestly it kind of makes me want to relocate.

I was a little concerned about the bleachers sec knowing more than likely we'd stand the whole time, but I would have it no other way. It was great.

I think some chants carry sound better than others. I was sitting in section 237 and know we were making a lot of noise, and the "Bronx down to the Battery" got pretty loud at times during the match. However, I just went back and watched the replay last night on WatchESPN and could not pick that one out at all. The "Hey Baby! Ooh Aah, I wanna know if you're NYC" came through very well.

Reactions: roxfontaine
I had the sense that the supporters tried to start the NYC Knick Knack Paddywhack chant a few times, but most of the stadium didn't know it and just converted it to a more basic
NYC
NYC
NYC

because most folks had no idea about the knick knack version, they just overwhelmed the "official" version. Just shows how hard it can be to create these chants. Most of the 40k people there didn't spend time here or on FB researching the chants. Again, It will come with time.

I had the sense that the supporters tried to start the NYC Knick Knack Paddywhack chant a few times, but most of the stadium didn't know it and just converted it to a more basic
NYC
NYC
NYC

because most folks had no idea about the knick knack version, they just overwhelmed the "official" version. Just shows how hard it can be to create these chants. Most of the 40k people there didn't spend time here or on FB researching the chants. Again, It will come with time.

Agreed. Thats why I think capos would help here. I know some are against having them, but when the supporters section spans such a wide area, organizing the chants just among the sections is difficult enough. If you have two full sections all chanting in unison, then the rest of the stadium can pick up on it a little easier.

That and when a chant would die down, fans in each section didn't quite know what was next. So at times, 237 would start chanting one thing, and 236 would start doing something a little different.

The biggest thing is to get the "common" fan to chant something easy in unison instead of just "NYC, NYC." There were plenty of people in and around my area (107) who were pumped but didn't know quite what to chant and just went to the old standbys which is fine for now but we need to cultivate something easy for everyone to pick up.

Reactions: Paul
We aren't all like that Andre - you are lumping the entire TR membership in with a - concededly vocal - sub-group of TR members who decided to go that route, maybe because of the difficulty hearing the people up front who were decidedly not chanting fuck NE all game, and the admitted lack of complete organization, so they took matters into their own hands. The lack of a bowl in YS doesn't allow our sound to travel that well. Hell, it didn't allow anyone outside of 235-238 and the 100s below us to be heard from where I was in 236. I didn't hear the Revs AT ALL. If you asked me specifically what section 209, 210, etc. was chanting, I'd say I had no clue, no matter how boisterous people in those sections say they were singing. But yes, I agree, we need to sparingly use cursing in chants, if at all. It is lazy, and it is definitely something we need to work on. Again, like a broken record: we are new, this was our first home game together, ever. If you have evidence of other supporters groups, at their first home ever, sounding as if they have been supporting since first division soccer started in England, please, I'd love to see/hear it. Otherwise, I think we deserve a little slack, ya know? That's all I ask.

And lastly, yes, the party outside the stadium after, couldn't agree more: priceless.

Just because it is our first time doing this stuff doesn't mean we can't learn from groups that have done it before. Look at other teams and what works there. All of the large supporters groups have capos and multiple assistants. They are very effective in organizing large groups of people especially in large noisy environments.

If the NYPD or the neighbors don't complain, that post game celebration should be a tradition.

I also loved that everyone gave the team a standing ovation at the final whistle. We've been waiting so long for soccer in the 5 boroughs that we should show our appreciation that way every game: win, lose or draw.

Nothing will ever be in unison without capos. I don't understand why people think it will work without one.

Boston sucks, fuck New England and the referee's a wanker are probably three of the worst chants of all time. Unfortunately they were also the most popular on Saturday.

Not worried though. Unity will come. YS seems to be the worst for sound.

We need capos in order to have organization. The best and loudest supporters groups around the world all have capos like emerald city supporters here in mls or teams like borussia dortmund fans in Germany.

We need capos in order to have organization. The best and loudest supporters groups around the world all have capos like emerald city supporters here in mls or teams like borussia dortmund fans in Germany.

I went to a Sounders game several years ago. That was one of the best atmospheres I have ever been in at a sporting event.

Reactions: Brandon Martinez