Qatar 2022 - The Shitshow

Mark, those are strawman arguments I didn't make and a level of disrespect and condescension I don't think I deserve.
  • I like disallowing goals - I didn't say that. I actually agree with Stu Holden (so sue me), I like getting it right. I have some great ideas for giving soccer more goals. Allowing relatively easily reviewable botched calls to stand isn't one of them.
  • Everyone was happy - Qatari fans might disagree.
  • No goal celebration means anything until 3 minutes pass - Actually both of the other goals in this game were celebrated quite really pleasingly. Some goals are clear. Others aren't.
  • A "problem" nobody knew existed - That's actually the whole point. This is something that is objectively measurable that in real time nobody caught.
You don't know how to talk to me. That's on you. I'm one of the most tolerant and openminded people on this board.
Convo done then.

In the press conference last night the captain of Iran spoke out against the Iranian gov't in support of the protestors fighting for human rights. The entire Iranian team didn't sing the national anthem in an act of protest. All actions possibly putting the players and their families in the crosshairs of a regime that has shown they will kill people for disagreeing with them.

On the other side of the of the pitch, Harry Kane wouldn't even risk a yellow card for the cause he had stated he planned to support. It feels bad to blame the players for a problem created 100% by FIFA but its hard not to be disappointed by their lack of courage.

Germany’s protest

1669214284713.png

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Cos and adam
With 17 (?) games played, I stand by my original position. I'm a fan of offsides tech.

It has been very fast in every single situation except 1, the first time it was needed in the Ecuador/Qatar match. My assumption then, and even stronger suspicion now, is that the offsides tech was just as fast in that situation. The long delay was determining whether the play prior came from the keeper's punch or the striker's head.

Oh my god. Absolutely unbelievable. He was a brilliant reporter and seemed like such a good person. Unimaginably sad.

Teared up when I saw the news. Absolutely awful. Fucking disgrace.

Assuming he is dead and I have not helped spread a bizarre rumor, I want to note there is no evidence he was killed.
Maybe he was. Maybe it’s related to the incident with the rainbow shirt. But all we have now is speculation by his understandably distraught brother.

Assuming he is dead and I have not helped spread a bizarre rumor, I want to note there is no evidence he was killed.
Maybe he was. Maybe it’s related to the incident with the rainbow shirt. But all we have now is speculation by his understandably distraught brother.

would be pretty messed up if his actual brother ( no idea if it is his brother or not) posted an IG video saying he's dead and that he (the brother) believes he was killed.

sad if true. but even people who seem healthy can die suddenly for many reasons. it's easy to point fingers and speculate, but damn sure doesn't look coincidental considering his brother claims he (grant) was receiving death threats.

Reactions: mgarbowski

Right -- we need to wait for more information. Him dying is unimaginably sad. His wife, Celine Gounder, has "liked" a tweet of condolences on Twitter so by all indications it is true. If someone did kill him, it would be a massive international incident. I certainly hope that part of the story isn't true, because if it is, it's too horrific to even think about.

Reactions: mgarbowski