mgarbowski

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
Jul 16, 2014
Queens, NY
mgarbowski.com
Does anyone know more details about this.?

I haven't been to a Knicks game in 10+ years. I've never - believe it or not - been to a hockey game. I want to go to some this year. The Rangers and Knicks have a flex bank where you deposit a minimum of $2,500 and then buy tickets at an oddly undisclosed discount during the season. Money not used is forfeit at the end of the season.

I'm pretty sure I can use up $2.5k between both teams. I like the flexibility. I don't want a plan with specific tickets for specific games. If I just leave it to buying individual tickets I might not ever go. But I don't like how they basically tell you nothing, including whether I'm limited to certain sections, or what the discount is, or anything really. I even started the buying process and got as far as payment without being presented with additional specifics.

I haven't been to a Knicks game in 10+ years. I've never - believe it or not - been to a hockey game. I want to go to some this year. The Rangers and Knicks have a flex bank where you deposit a minimum of $2,500 and then buy tickets at an oddly undisclosed discount during the season. Money not used is forfeit at the end of the season.

I'm pretty sure I can use up $2.5k between both teams. I like the flexibility. I don't want a plan with specific tickets for specific games. If I just leave it to buying individual tickets I might not ever go. But I don't like how they basically tell you nothing, including whether I'm limited to certain sections, or what the discount is, or anything really. I even started the buying process and got as far as payment without being presented with additional specifics.

based solely on the link you provided, you can pick whatever seats in the available inventory including general and premium seats, you can pick your tickets at any time (all at the start of the season or as the season progresses).

savings is still a mystery but they expressly state pricing can change at any time, so the sooner you lock in a ticket the better? maybe?

Reactions: mgarbowski

My concern here would be the flex pricing on games. Good games are going to be insanely expensive.

based solely on the link you provided, you can pick whatever seats in the available inventory including general and premium seats, you can pick your tickets at any time (all at the start of the season or as the season progresses).

savings is still a mystery but they expressly state pricing can change at any time, so the sooner you lock in a ticket the better? maybe?
My concern here would be the flex pricing on games. Good games are going to be insanely expensive.

I found a bit more info via a link to the portal where you select your games, which has information on the front page before you sign in. Which is poor design because it is info designed to entice you to buy the package, but you cannot order from there and the page where you order does not have all of that info.
And with all that, there's still a lot of uncertainty, mostly to do with pricing, and Fred's point about variability is a good one..

But I pulled the trigger. I know the tickets are expensive. But I'm not too concerned about specific games and oddly, with a $2.5k deposit, I was more concerned about using up the credits without having to drag myself and others to too many games, so if the tickets are expensive, mentally I'll feel like I got my money's worth somehow as long as I use the full credit. I figure for that amount, I should get between 10 and maybe 20-22 tickets at most, which is fine, especially using it for both teams. I'm not looking to become a regular. Like I said in the first post, I having never been to a hockey game and not having been to basketball since (I think) Jeff Van Gundy was coach I just wanted to force myself to go to a few. If I use a big chunk of the credit on a pair of decent Rangers seats for a quality opponent I'm fine with that.

I'm also trying find an easier local way to to scratch the itch that's developing which is I want to go to college football games all over the country and experience all the wild traditions and atmospheres in person. Obviously NHL/NBA is very different but it's something.
10 years ago I didn't care at all for soccer or college football. Then the 2014 World Cup/NYCFC and my daughter starting at Umich in 2018 generated 2 completely new interests that eclipsed all the other sports, but that's a whole 'nother topic.

Rangers winning 2-0.
786AE668-975F-498B-A968-572A5BBBFBAE.jpeg

Reactions: Joe_Cos
Making this the general Rangers / Knicks playoff thread now . At least their both giving those of us that also follow hockey / basketball something to be excited for while NYCFC try to put an actual roster together .

Can’t figure this Rangers - Devils series out just relieved they live to fight another day and get a deciding game 7.

Knicks go tomorrow . NBA playoff format is weird . Not complaining that the number 5 Seeded Knicks get the bottom seed in Miami and not the number three seed 76ers as would be logical but it’s weird .

Speaking of weird

Can’t figure this Rangers - Devils series out just relieved they live to fight another day and get a deciding game 7.
Devils have no solid goalie. Rangers have almost no offense outside the power play and that runs hot and cold. I've been lurking in the Rangers subreddit and those fans are the most bipolar of any fandom I've seen. It's way beyond the usual overreactions and nothing carries over game to game. The series was over after the Rangers won Game 1. Doubly after G2. Then absolute doom after losing Game 3. It was so bad it did not even get worse after losing 4 and 5, it just kept going. Now Rangers won G6 and all is well, nobody remembers the doom, and how can anyone think the Devils have a shot?
NBA playoff format is weird . Not complaining that the number 5 Seeded Knicks get the bottom seed in Miami and not the number three seed 76ers as would be logical but it’s weird .
Totally normal fixed bracket. It's just like March Madness. Winner of 1v8 plays winner of 4v5. If a lower ranked team upsets the higher they inherit the higher seed's opposition. Also has the benefit of not having to wait until every first round series ends to know who plays whom. Reseeding after every round also makes sense, but neither is inherently better than the other I think.

As for the Flex Bank, I'm happy I did it but would not recommend it. I accomplished what I wanted which was making myself go to some hockey games. Somehow I only saw one victory out of I think 5 Rangers games and one Knicks, which is weird given their records.
But apart from the forcing myself to go part, the benefits of the program are minimal. There's a supposed 5% discount on tickets but it's impossible to tell if it's actually applied, and you can only pick sections, not seats. In some sections seats have 2 prices so you're effectively picking front half or back of the section, but that isn't even spelled out. You have no idea what seat you're getting until after you buy and it shows up in your account.

Reactions: Schwallacus