Rolling Stock (nyc Fc Fanzine)

Scott McCarthy

Registered
Donor
Seasoned Supporter
May 22, 2014
Brooklyn,NY
www.facebook.com
I wanted to let people know about a project I have been thinking about doing, a NYC FC Fanzine and seeing if anyone wanted to contribute or participate in any aspects, be it writing, photogrpahy or grpahic design, compensation would be limited to full credit for your contributions and a few free copies of the issue your work was printed in, if it proves to be popular enough, than monetrary compensation on a by submission basis would definetly be considered.

You can check out the Facebook here

Attachments

• MAG.jpg
    MAG.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: einwindir
I might be interested in doing the design, but it depends on how often an issue would get released.

I wanted to let people know about a project I have been thinking about doing, a NYC FC Fanzine and seeing if anyone wanted to contribute or participate in any aspects, be it writing, photogrpahy or grpahic design, compensation would be limited to full credit for your contributions and a few free copies of the issue your work was printed in, if it proves to be popular enough, than monetrary compensation on a by submission basis would definetly be considered.

You can check out the Facebook here
Can you expand a little more on your project and what you have in mind? What you'd lime to accomplish? Your target demo?

A fanzine.. That´s a blast from the past really, they tended to cater for more hardcore fans and was often critical about the club. You got something similar in mind?

Do fanzines and programmes even exist in the MLS now and on what scale in the past? In the UK fanzines are produced by fans and programmes are official club productions. Every club in the premier/football league certainly has an official programme (probably the leagues below many do as well in first couple of tiers at least) and I'm sure each has at least one fanzine. This has been the case for years and years there's programmes going back decades. Obviously the content is very much different as well as the quality of production. Obviously fanzines are less politically correct. The production quality varies but with technology being what it is today its easy to produce something of decent appearance at the very least.

It could be interesting to see whether club decides to publish official programmes and how many sell. A lot might buy them for collectible reasons more than anything. The first home match programme for instance will probably be worth a lot of money years from now.

Last edited:
A fanzine.. That´s a blast from the past really, they tended to cater for more hardcore fans and was often critical about the club. You got something similar in mind?
When I saw Fanzine I had to take a step back. When I was in HS I was all about the fanzine culture, but that was for the Death Metal scene here in NYC...never even considered it as a soccer thing.

When I saw Fanzine I had to take a step back. When I was in HS I was all about the fanzine culture, but that was for the Death Metal scene here in NYC...never even considered it as a soccer thing.

I think social media sort of killed the fanzine culture..

I used the term fanzine since I am waiting to gauge the interest level before committing to a style, I know of several printers who can produce news stand quality magazines.

The early goal is to essentially educate the unconverted and those who really do not know what MLS is, what NYC FC is and why they might want to.

as for being critical of the club, I would not see that as a goal,but being unofficial would allow some freedom to not stick with "company line speak"

Fanzine is a niche term, and I felt it fit with what is a niche sport.

I elaborated more on the name and goal on the FB page description.

Publishing frequency has yet to be decided, maybe bimonthly. Have an issue out around the draft, that would be similar to those Lindy's NFL draft guides is a possibility.

In essence, I'd like to produce something that not only would a die hard fan like,but someone who may feel uncomfortable trying out a game,because they don't know any players and might not know the rules of the game.

I used the term fanzine since I am waiting to gauge the interest level before committing to a style, I know of several printers who can produce news stand quality magazines.

The early goal is to essentially educate the unconverted and those who really do not know what MLS is, what NYC FC is and why they might want to.

as for being critical of the club, I would not see that as a goal,but being unofficial would allow some freedom to not stick with "company line speak"

Fanzine is a niche term, and I felt it fit with what is a niche sport.

I elaborated more on the name and goal on the FB page description.

Publishing frequency has yet to be decided, maybe bimonthly. Have an issue out around the draft, that would be similar to those Lindy's NFL draft guides is a possibility.

In essence, I'd like to produce something that not only would a die hard fan like,but someone who may feel uncomfortable trying out a game,because they don't know any players and might not know the rules of the game.
I love this idea. Specifically the part about educating newcomers. It's very similar to what we are trying to achieve with MLS101. I'm sure Falastur Falastur could give you a hand, he's done an outstanding job for us.

If there's anyway we can help let me know!

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
in addition, this is something I had this forum in mind as well as the team as far as something I want to help direct traffic to.

I think something physical and intangible has an effect that looking at something on the computer screen does not...if we could use that to get people who may be fairly new to the game, to see the forum mentioned (as I did in the description on the FB page) and in the fanzine/magazine and get them to feel comfortable about the community that is being built around the team, it benefits everyone...the zine gets popular and drives people to the forum, the forum gets them excited about the team and drives them out to a game, hopefully they enjoy the experience and come back, the team makes money and can improve the on field product via transfers and the academy and that pays off for all of us.

I love this idea. Specifically the part about educating newcomers. It's very similar to what we are trying to achieve with MLS101. I'm sure Falastur Falastur could give you a hand, he's done an outstanding job for us.

If there's anyway we can help let me know!

I actually had those in mind, perhaps seeing if he would approve of reprinting them as a series in the magazine and at the end of each one put "for more informative 101's head to www.nycfcforums.com"

Oddly enough, my inspiration for the project came when I started to educate myself about the team when it was announced and while I know all I need to know about the Yankees, I knew very little about Manchester City and in reading up on them, I read about King of Kippax fanzine that has been going for 25 years.

in addition, this is something I had this forum in mind as well as the team as far as something I want to help direct traffic to.

I think something physical and intangible has an effect that looking at something on the computer screen does not...if we could use that to get people who may be fairly new to the game, to see the forum mentioned (as I did in the description on the FB page) and in the fanzine/magazine and get them to feel comfortable about the community that is being built around the team, it benefits everyone...the zine gets popular and drives people to the forum, the forum gets them excited about the team and drives them out to a game, hopefully they enjoy the experience and come back, the team makes money and can improve the on field product via transfers and the academy and that pays off for all of us.

I'm in. As a marketing device it's a great idea. As a way to keep the community involved in the tean, it's a great idea. The toughest part is funding those first couple issues. But I guess where there's a will, there's a way.

Tagging Falastur Falastur again, just in case he misses it!

I'm in. As a marketing device it's a great idea. As a way to keep the community involved in the tean, it's a great idea. The toughest part is funding those first couple issues. But I guess where there's a will, there's a way.

Tagging Falastur Falastur again, just in case he misses it!

funding is and isn't an issue, I have no problem doing a print run of 50-100 and doing extra printings later if need be,until a solid idea of what the demand will be.

Sounds great. I'm always up for writing.

Side note: When I was in high school I wrote, edited, and published my own high school football magazine for all of Westchester County, Rockland County, Putnam County, and Dutchess County. It looked like crap because of the printer I used, but I wrote all 80 pages myself. Sold a freaking boat load of them.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy