San Antonio Pushing For Mls

Thank you MikeDatTiger MikeDatTiger

When they do crowd scans, it's always lily white families. That's good that the numbers are that high. I would assume next year is a wash with Chivas out and NYCFC in.

But keeping players like Cubo here is a big deal. I hope that moves are made to bring other talented Mexican players here. I had hoped to see Chicharito here but he was loaned to RM.

I've always wanted an extra spot for CONCACAF MNTs outside of the cap structure.

I think Orlando is making a big push with the Hispanic crowd; hopefully they'll bring in a lot the Hispanic population in Florida, who may not have as much of a connection to Liga MX as say Hispanics in California and Texas.

the Chicarito to RM move still confounds me. I mean, maybe being in Ronaldo's aura is enough to keep him in the Mexican NT picture, but sooner or later he's gotta get playing time, right?

I like the idea for extra sport for CONCACAF MNT in a like a 4th DP spot.

Detroit isn't pushing for a team are they?
Not really, nothing as strong as Minneapolis or Sacramento. There is movement for minor league pro soccer and the new owner of the Silverdome has tried unsuccessfully so far to get a MLS club. Read more here: http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...itch-plan-for-mls-stadium-mall-condos-on-jail

AR-130729936.jpg&MaxW=620&v=201405231302

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
San Antonio has only 1 pro team at the moment, is the 7th biggest city (37th size market, because people don't live outside the SA borders). That's only 6 spots behind Kansas City, which hosts more sports teams. SA's support for the Spurs is very healthy. So I don't know why they couldn't host one.

I'm not sure where El Paso is on the list, but good luck getting any players who have a choice to go to El Paso. There are at least 20 cities I'd choose before El Paso.

El Paso:
I don't think the location of the team really plays a factor into who plays on the team. If the team has a good ownership group, a good coach, and solid fan support from the local community I can't imagine players turning down the opportunity to play for that team.

Also, I don't see why the perception of El Paso is so awful. It has a largely hispanic population that would eagerly support the team. There are also the "affluent" young white people who would gladly support the team as well. Having said this, I don't think that the El Paso market would draw in a bunch of fans who weren't from the West Texas, New Mexico, and Northern Mexico area that it already influences.

If I was pushing for a team in El Paso I'd try and get an NASL or USL Pro team first.

San Antonio:
The healthy support for the Spurs can largely be attributed to the fact that the team has kept the core of its roster the same since the drafting of Tim Duncan and the continued success that it has every NBA season. If the team had sub par successs you wouldn't see the same level of support that you do today. I honestly do not believe that San Antonio can support another professional sports team of any variety.

San Antonio isn't exactly a choice destination for professional athletes. However, I don't think that the city really affects the players that the team is able to sign.

Miami:
Miami is one of the worst major sports towns in the United States.

I really hope that David Beckham gives it up and moves on from Miami. There are plenty of other deserving cities that he could try and get a team in.

Detroit:
I really doubt that Detroit would choose to support a soccer team. (Just a gut feeling)

The city is also a complete and total piece of crap. (My sincerest apologies to anyone from Detroit)

You guys keep forgetting, MLS has already granted Beckham and Miami a MLS franchise, he just has to figure out the stadium first. For all their bluster and success, Sacramento, San Antonio, Minneapolis etc still have to get a stadium built and convince MLS to sell them a franchise. Miami is still very much ahead of the game here.

Reactions: Kjbert and Z4CH3B99
You guys keep forgetting, MLS has already granted Beckham and Miami a MLS franchise, he just has to figure out the stadium first. For all their bluster and success, Sacramento, San Antonio, Minneapolis etc still have to get a stadium built and convince MLS to sell them a franchise. Miami is still very much ahead of the game here.
It would appear that the stadium plans are proving to be much more difficult than previously thought.

Aren't they already? I thought that rule was only towards USA teams and did not apply the other way to Canadian teams.
Americans count as domestics on Canadian teams. Canadian fans say that Americans should count as foreign players, I guess, to increase the number of Canuck players (and lowering their playing quality even further).
It would appear that the stadium plans are proving to be much more difficult than previously thought.
Well, yes it does seem to be proving difficult. But it doesn't change the fact that as soon as Miami figure that out, there is no other battle, they automatically will get a MLS franchise. Those other cities are still trying to whore... I mean sell themselves to MLS.

Americans count as domestics on Canadian teams. Canadian fans say that Americans should count as foreign players, I guess, to increase the number of Canuck players (and lowering their playing quality even further).

Well, yes it does seem to be proving difficult. But it doesn't change the fact that as soon as Miami figure that out, there is no other battle, they automatically will get a MLS franchise. Those other cities are still trying to whore... I mean sell themselves to MLS.
Honestly, I want all of this expansion talk to end and have MLS pick the cities for the new teams already so that we can be focused on increasing the level of play in the league as opposed to worrying about where the next team is going to be located.

Reactions: Kjbert
Honestly, I want all of this expansion talk to end and have MLS pick the cities for the new teams already so that we can be focused on increasing the level of play in the league as opposed to worrying about where the next team is going to be located.
Well I am here all week and love talking about pro soccer growth in the US/Canada.

I hope MLS never really stops growing, until the day pro/rel exist (after my life time probably).

Well I am here all week and love talking about pro soccer growth in the US/Canada.

I hope MLS never really stops growing, until the day pro/rel exist (after my life time probably).
I'm all for growth; don't get me wrong. I just want MLS to be primarily focused on the play that takes place on the field as opposed to where the new team is going to be located.

I'm all for growth; don't get me wrong. I just want MLS to be primarily focused on the play that takes place on the field as opposed to where the new team is going to be located.
I'm not convinced MLS the League spends much energy on expansion, other than cashing in that expansion check. And since that makes all MLS owners richer, they will probably continue to collect them from those willing to spend it.

I'm not convinced MLS the League spends much energy on expansion, other than cashing in that expansion check. And since that makes all MLS owners richer, they will probably continue to collect them from those willing to spend it.
I hope that you are right.

MLS likes expansion talk because Expansion talk is a nice reminder to certain cities that there are other cities that would very happily accommodate a MLS team with a nice stadium in a nice location (looking straight at you DC, though NYC might get on this list soon) . It also projects the sense that the league is growing and is desirable.

MLS likes expansion talk because Expansion talk is a nice reminder to certain cities that there are other cities that would very happily accommodate a MLS team with a nice stadium in a nice location (looking straight at you DC, though NYC might get on this list soon) . It also projects the sense that the league is growing and is desirable.
Does DC have room to build a new stadium?

The Navy Yard, where Nats park was built, it is the PERFECT location for a soccer stadium in DC. It's the perfect neighborhood. Up and coming, new buildings, near Cap Hill and Eastern Market. The only other place that would fit neighborhood wise is Dupont, but you can't build a stadium there. It just makes too much sense to put a soccer stadium in the Navy Yard.