San Antonio Pushing For Mls

I prefer the best ownership groups. The best ownership groups will commit the best money, build the best stadiums in the best locations and put the best product on the field.

I don't think the Miami group has proven it can accomplish anything.

Reactions: Z4CH3B99
Good point, investment in soccer, academies, facilites is what MLS needs. However, so do great fanbases. I think Miami would be both.

Reactions: Kjbert
I prefer the best ownership groups. The best ownership groups will commit the best money, build the best stadiums in the best locations and put the best product on the field.

I don't think the Miami group has proven it can accomplish anything.
If land in San Antonio or Sacramento was as expensive as it is in Miami then maybe that argument might be valid. But it's not so all things aren't equal. If Yankees weren't involved with NYCFC were do you think they would be playing?

NYCFC is allowed to play by different rules than Miami.

A little bit if pot calling the kettle black here.

I think people are mis-defining things. There's a Cities Population and then there's a Cities Market.
There are a few that line up. Like NY #1 and LA #2 for both.

But San Antonio doesn't fit this. In Fact it's WAY Off.......The Population does put it in the Top 10. But as far as Markets go it's 35th. In fact with Atlanta joining in 2017, All top 10 Markets are Represented in the MLS.

If you want to round out the Top 20 markets into the MLS then there are 8 more cities needed (as in Present or Future like NYCFC not Past). In order of Rank; Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, Minneapolis, Miami, Denver, Cleveland, Sacramento.

Technically then you'd see Detroit get the next Team..........but lets be honest, that would be a short lived bid.

Using that Logic I'd predict Miami getting cemented in the spot or it going to move Sacramento up like Orlando. :)

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
Tampa
I think people are mis-defining things. There's a Cities Population and then there's a Cities Market.
There are a few that line up. Like NY #1 and LA #2 for both.

But San Antonio doesn't fit this. In Fact it's WAY Off.......The Population does put it in the Top 10. But as far as Markets go it's 35th. In fact with Atlanta joining in 2017, All top 10 Markets are Represented in the MLS.

If you want to round out the Top 20 markets into the MLS then there are 8 more cities needed (as in Present or Future like NYCFC not Past). In order of Rank; Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, Minneapolis, Miami, Denver, Cleveland, Sacramento.

Technically then you'd see Detroit get the next Team..........but lets be honest, that would be a short lived bid.

Using that Logic I'd predict Miami getting cemented in the spot or it going to move Sacramento up like Orlando. :)
should not get anything

San Antonio more than likely will never get a team. It's too close to Houston and Dallas. I don't think the city can support another team at this point.

Interestingly enough, El Paso, Texas has launched a campaign to land an expansion franchise. They've met with MLS on several occasions and recently launched a twitter campaign and a website dedicated to bringing in the new team.

It's too bad. I think SA, Austin and maybe El Paso could support clubs but MLS needs to be in cities with larger markets like Minneapolis, Miami or San Diego before it even thinks about those cites.

It's too bad. I think SA, Austin and maybe El Paso could support clubs but MLS needs to be in cities with larger markets like Minneapolis, Miami or San Diego before it even thinks about those cites.
If the league wants to expand its popularity internationally, I think El Paso would be the right choice. There are 2.5 million people in its metropolitan area (half or so on the Mexican side of the border) and no soccer teams anywhere for miles that would compete with it.

But El Paso is one of the poorest cities in the USA. What about Detroit? Bigger market lotsa sports teams. Should MLS go there?

San Antonio more than likely will never get a team. It's too close to Houston and Dallas. I don't think the city can support another team at this point.

Interestingly enough, El Paso, Texas has launched a campaign to land an expansion franchise. They've met with MLS on several occasions and recently launched a twitter campaign and a website dedicated to bringing in the new team.

San Antonio has only 1 pro team at the moment, is the 7th biggest city (37th size market, because people don't live outside the SA borders). That's only 6 spots behind Kansas City, which hosts more sports teams. SA's support for the Spurs is very healthy. So I don't know why they couldn't host one.

I'm not sure where El Paso is on the list, but good luck getting any players who have a choice to go to El Paso. There are at least 20 cities I'd choose before El Paso.

I know this will not be received well, but soccer thrives in this country where you have young, affluent, white males.

Minnesota has those. San Diego has those. Bay Area, NYC, etc.

You don't have that in Detroit right now or El Paso. You do have it in Austin. You could argue that you don't have that in Miami either.

I know there has been a long conversation about bringing more Latin fans into the fold, but they aren't the fans paying MLS bills or attending the games. They follow Chivas. They follow America. They follow Real or Barca.

I know this will not be received well, but soccer thrives in this country where you have young, affluent, white males.

Minnesota has those. San Diego has those. Bay Area, NYC, etc.

You don't have that in Detroit right now or El Paso. You do have it in Austin. You could argue that you don't have that in Miami either.

I know there has been a long conversation about bringing more Latin fans into the fold, but they aren't the fans paying MLS bills or attending the games. They follow Chivas. They follow America. They follow Real or Barca.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...-have-the-whitest-richest-oldest-fans/283626/

MLS has 34% Hispanic fans. We tend to think of it as affluent white because of the success of Seattle & Portland, which are lower % Hispanic communities, but to say "they're not the fans paying the bills" is inaccurate. You're not wrong that MLS has a struggle to get Hispanic fans to ditch Liga MX for the team in the city they're living in now, but that's a fight that with continued improvement in MLS quality that will eventually be won by MLS.

Detroit is a dumpster fire of a city, although MLS could probably buy downtown land there very cheaply. El Paso...just no. Austin is a possibility (though I think Texas maxes out at 3 teams, so it's between SA & Austin). Miami is just an awful sports town period and my hope is MLS convinces Beckham to give it up.

There's a lot of South and Central Americans who need to be convinced to give MLS a chance in NYC. I think if we build a Stadium in a convenient location, we can have really strong attendance. There's so much potential for us.

Thank you MikeDatTiger MikeDatTiger

When they do crowd scans, it's always lily white families. That's good that the numbers are that high. I would assume next year is a wash with Chivas out and NYCFC in.

But keeping players like Cubo here is a big deal. I hope that moves are made to bring other talented Mexican players here. I had hoped to see Chicharito here but he was loaned to RM.

I've always wanted an extra spot for CONCACAF MNTs outside of the cap structure.