Separating The Forums From The Supporters Group

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
I've been saying this from day one to many people and I think it's time we make this thread here for all to see and read. I don't know any other way to make it more clear than this as people continue to come to me...
We are NOT affiliated with the Supporters Group.
This is a fan forum, open to all those who are fans of the club regardless of where you live and what other teams you support.
I've removed a few 'confusing' threads that might label us as an SG but we are NOT and that is NOT the goal here.
Can we all just get together as a community and discuss our football club without the need to organize something and put a label on it? This website doesn't need to be a supporters group and it isn't going to be a supporters group. I will back any supporters group out there, whether it is the current one or a new one that comes along because I feel that is our responsibility. Unless that group does something to misrepresent our club. This is the same discussion I've had with NYCFC club officials as they asked me where our website stands.
I don't have a problem with allowing the current SG access to our forums. I made a separate section for them for official discussion. It's our responsibility as fans to help recruit people as they will greatly add to the atmosphere of our games and we NEED a strong SG. A lot of our members will surely become SG members and that's great. But a large majority will not as they don't live in the city, don't live in the states and don't plan on attending every game and want to be casual supporters. We are there for those individuals so they are not alienated.
It is very frustrating when our staff and member base have invested such a great amount of funds and time to build this community and the actions of someone affiliated with the SG on twitter or facebook are misrepresented as those of our community.
PLEASE separate the two. We have taken matters into our own hands to silence those on our forums who are offensive and rude so that we represent our club professionally and with dignity.
I will change our logo when I can. I'm not a graphic designer but will work on it.

Again, we welcome everyone. Whether you choose to represent the SG or are a casual supporter.

I think you may be confusing people discussing the SG on this site with people considering this site a SG. I haven't seen any posts make indicate the latter in a very long time.

Of course, nothing wrong with the discussion at all. I still do get messages and emails and lately about the whole Sheik thing and people no longer wanting to affiliate themselves with us due to various other reasons.
This is an investment of time energy and resources. We do need to protect that. For as many people that message or email me there are a just as many if not more that simply leave.

Of course, nothing wrong with the discussion at all. I still do get messages and emails and lately about the whole Sheik thing and people no longer wanting to affiliate themselves with us due to various other reasons.
This is an investment of time energy and resources. We do need to protect that. For as many people that message or email me there are a just as many if not more that simply leave.
I see, obviously I wasn't aware of those emails, so you have a good point.

I don't know if you are able to do this, but maybe you can put a disclaimer on the banner of the home page. Just a blurb stating what you are, and what you are not. Just a thought.

I wouldn't label this as NYC Supporters Club on the website, that's the first problem. Also, there have been discussions (maybe you deleted them) about a forum scarf and t shirts. That's a SG move, not a forum site move. A lot of contradictory posts from the staff as well.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
I wouldn't label this as NYC Supporters Club on the website, that's the first problem. Also, there have been discussions (maybe you deleted them) about a forum scarf and t shirts. That's a SG move, not a forum site move. A lot of contradictory posts from the staff as well.
I agree with point 1

Point 2 and 3 was more of a problem earlier, and when it was pointed out, the admins got much more clear about their goals, and in my mind that issue has been resolved.

Reactions: einwindir
I don't know why anyone would expect the forums to be a supporter's group. A forum is just a place for discussion. That discussion could include supporter's group related discussion and that would be appropriate. The discussion could not include anything related to the supporter's group and that would be appropriate. I agree with MyBoyCity in that this seems like a solution in search of a problem at the moment. Supporter's groups and their needs should be allowed here as much as any other discussion. That seems to be the case to me right now and I expect it will continue.

but isn't the communication of "third rail", or whatever the name will be, come thorugh the forums? wasn't the meeting on Saturday held by forum admins to discuss sg topics, name, membership etc. etc.

but isn't the communication of "third rail", or whatever the name will be, come thorugh the forums? wasn't the meeting on Saturday held by forum admins to discuss sg topics, name, membership etc. etc.

No. The admins had nothing to do with the meeting or the naming process. This is just a website without agenda other than being an open forum to discuss and promote the team.

No. The admins had nothing to do with the meeting or the naming process. This is just a website without agenda other than being an open forum to discuss and promote the team.
so I can be the president of the "Whitestone Elite", a fake hypothetical sg, and still come here?

^This is exactly why I made this post.
Nothing has ever been said on here or come out of the forums regarding SG activities other than in the SG section which I made a post for when I created it and it was done so to help them.

Reactions: MyBoyVilla
The Third Rail was suggested here, yes.
A lot of the chants have been suggested here. They've been compiling that stuff.
We can not be an NYCFC community and alienate SG members or the other way around.
I think the fact that people from England, Poland and parts of the states have been contributing ideas to the group is great. The chants section shows that people are willing to help and be a part of this movement despite the fact they might not be 'members' on paper.
That's all that should matter. That we are all coming together on one platform, sharing ideas and growing as a community.

Reactions: CornellBigRed

I believe that the majority of the guys organising the SG which held the meeting on Saturday are not even members of the forum - or at least, weren't until a few days ago.

Most of the Leadership are members here. I think Chance is the only one left. Maybe Andres? Brian and Anthony have been here for a while now.

The Forum and the SG have a relationship that feeds off each other. While we can each survive on our own, we have a much more potent effect when we work together.

Technically the Leadership of TBD (can we use this from here forth until a proper name is announced) are Mods here. They have Admin rightd im the Supporters Section ONLY. Once TBD has a name, the section will be renamed and hopefully clear up any lasting confusion.

If you want to start your own SG..DO IT! We've got a section for that too. If you get enough traffic we'll even provide a private section for you.

Reactions: NYCBlue
I rhink the umbrella group and its affiliates should operate out of this forum. Just like the hatter is mancity pub, the forum should be a "third rail" (or whatever the name is) exclusive forum