• Red Bulls

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Cosmos

Votes: 11 32.4%
  • Game goes in extra time then penalties which never end

Votes: 19 55.9%

• Total voters
Different people, different mindset.

Growing up, I was raised to like the Giants , Mets and Knicks. As kids, we always looked down upon those who have 3 or 4 favorite teams.

Do I hate every team as much as I hate the Red Bulls or Dallas Cowboys? No, of course not.

Do I ever wish anything positive on any other teams but my own? Hell no.

We're just different people

Who the hell voted to root for the Red Bulls? This was a trick poll to find any fake NYCFC fans. I'd rather have the Triple-A Red Sox affiliate win a game rather than the Mets (this is the best sports scenario I can think of that relates to this match).

Hate everything about the energy drink and am kinda glad our team will focus on the league this year...soooo Cosmos?

I guess?

hell, ours was the first USOC match I ever watched and I went to it. Suppose I can go back to ignoring it like I have the rest of my life. Seems to have worked out okay.

I will be rooting for the Cosmos to lose not rooting for either to win.

I really admire the Cosmos' management for having passed on the chance to join MLS because they didn't want to lose control of their logos and other marks, and because they wanted to retain the ability to sign their own players.

I like the Cosmos a lot, and I root for them -- in all games but last night's. But now that last night's game is over, I can appreciate their come-from-behind win, and I can congratulate them for having been the better team on the night. I hope they go on to win the competition.

Until NYCFC came along, I couldn't be bothered with MLS. The MetroStars didn't move me; and the Red Bulls disgusted me. I think that this describes many of us. But just because we are now NYCFC fans, that doesn't mean that we have forgotten about MLS's flaws. The single-entity structure is a scam on both players and fans; and the bloated playoffs rob the regular season of meaning. So the Cosmos, representing a rejection of the MLS way of doing things, should be attractive to us.

Also, the team's current management have revived a great New York institution that meant so much to soccer when we were kids (or even before some of us were born), a team that is responsible for soccer's move into the mainstream of American sports. And they have kept the logo intact! We as New Yorkers have to love all of this.

So I hope that the rivalry between NYCFC fans and Cosmos fans can be purely friendly, and that we can save our vitriol for our common enemy, the Red Bulls.

nycfc-cosmos-combined-logo-very-small_zpsqoituslo.png
WTF are you talking about?????? The single entity structure is the only way this league could have survived until now and this won't be changing. Do you think that if MLS and their teams were run independently and were able to spend what they want on players without a salary cap and without any type of restrictions that teams like Columbus or FC Dallas, or any other small market could have survived?????? NO WAY, it would have been NASL all over again, folding while a couple of clubs brought in all of the talent.

The single entity structure works beautifully for the NFL, and they are doing just fine, and have been doing even better since Roger Goodell came in, and that is from a league that has no competition whatsoever from anywhere all over the world. I swear people just do not understand how HARD it is to run and operate and grow a soccer league in this continent, holy shit. SMH....The single entity structure is not the problem with MLS, it is some of the player acquisition rules, that players such as Herc Gomez, and many others have complained about.

These rules will be changing as we continue to grow but to say that we should appreciate the Cosmos blah blah blah, are you kidding me? Appreciate them, why? because they play in a glorified beer league and have MLS rejects and former MLS scrubs on their roster, and current MLS players that are not wanted by their current MLS team so they loan them out. The Cosmos like to act like big dogs in the soccer scene here in NYC but in reality their league, and their team, is irrelevent until they join MLS.

And by the way to say that the Cosmos said NO to MLS is a huge lie. Here is a comment from EOS from a poster named Ullrich over a year ago about the Cosmos saying no to MLS, and now you have Eric Stover their COO saying we never wanted to join MLS, because with MLS' structure you can't compete on the global football scale, please spare me the BS.

Ulrich 06/15/2015 at 11:32 pm I’m still trying to figure out how the hell the Cosmos were in a position to turn down MLS? MLS has always had a business plan to be run as a single entity structure, and the Cosmos wanted to be part of MLS just with the caveat to not be bound by the salary cap and to be run independently. Essentially it was like vinegar and water – neither would be able to mix. And the Cosmos also didn’t want to have to pay the new “buy-in” fee that was approaching $70M+ when the previous club came in at about $40M. How do I know that? I had many a conversation with the former Cosmos Chief Marketing Officer and we discussed the attempt by their power structure to become the 20th MLS franchise. It was ALWAYS the team’s goal to be in MLS – that’s why the Marketing/Advertizing agency Anomaly was brought in: to sell the team’s potential to the league; Anomaly actually had an ownership stake in the team, which made their efforts all the more important for success. Now to most of you this is just hearsay, and that’s fine because I freely admit my conversations took place over drinks and not in a formal meeting room, so believe me or don’t, but unless you were in the MLS/Cosmos meetings and/or have the minutes from them, just stop with the fictitious notion that the Cosmos turned their back on MLS. Granted, there was no question MLS was interested in the Cosmos because of the name & the ties to NYC in the 70’s/80’s, but they were not ever going to change the league’s structure to accommodate a single potential team owner when there were many more ownership groups eager to join up; evidently, one that was willing to pay $100M. So back to the Cosmos and their supposed negotiations from a position of power (to evidently ultimately spurn MLS according to revisionists)…. The NASL reboot was in 2009. If the Cosmos actively wanted to be part of the NASL, they would have done so immediately instead of being an unaffiliated club attempting to negotiate their way into MLS from 2010-2012 when they ultimately joined the NASL. Even when they announced the buyout from Kemsley to Sela in Nov 2011, they included a snippet in the press release that MLS was their ultimate goal. Granted, the Cosmos website has removed the said new release (because it legitimizes their attempt to join MLS) but the following link (from the next day) has the release in italics: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/new_york_comos_announce_management_buyout So somehow the Borough Boys all believe the Cosmos closed the door on MLS when in reality the club was focused on MLS & announced: “It is unequivocally the goal of the current ownership to become an MLS team in the most expedient manner possible, and decisions for the club will be made with this in mind.” Of course, after Joe Fragga said this he was soon fired and the revisionist history of the club’s goals began. Why else would the club & its fans be so excited settling for the NASL when MLS had always been the goal?

Reactions: Gene
WTF are you talking about?????? The single entity structure is the only way this league could have survived until now and this won't be changing. Do you think that if MLS and their teams were run independently and were able to spend what they want on players without a salary cap and without any type of restrictions that teams like Columbus or FC Dallas, or any other small market could have survived?????? NO WAY, it would have been NASL all over again, folding while a couple of clubs brought in all of the talent.

The single entity structure works beautifully for the NFL, and they are doing just fine, and have been doing even better since Roger Goodell came in, and that is from a league that has no competition whatsoever from anywhere all over the world. I swear people just do not understand how HARD it is to run and operate and grow a soccer league in this continent, holy shit. SMH....The single entity structure is not the problem with MLS, it is some of the player acquisition rules, that players such as Herc Gomez, and many others have complained about.

These rules will be changing as we continue to grow but to say that we should appreciate the Cosmos blah blah blah, are you kidding me? Appreciate them, why? because they play in a glorified beer league and have MLS rejects and former MLS scrubs on their roster, and current MLS players that are not wanted by their current MLS team so they loan them out. The Cosmos like to act like big dogs in the soccer scene here in NYC but in reality their league, and their team, is irrelevent until they join MLS.

And by the way to say that the Cosmos said NO to MLS is a huge lie. Here is a comment from EOS from a poster named Ullrich over a year ago about the Cosmos saying no to MLS, and now you have Eric Stover their COO saying we never wanted to join MLS, because with MLS' structure you can't compete on the global football scale, please spare me the BS.

Ulrich 06/15/2015 at 11:32 pm I’m still trying to figure out how the hell the Cosmos were in a position to turn down MLS? MLS has always had a business plan to be run as a single entity structure, and the Cosmos wanted to be part of MLS just with the caveat to not be bound by the salary cap and to be run independently. Essentially it was like vinegar and water – neither would be able to mix. And the Cosmos also didn’t want to have to pay the new “buy-in” fee that was approaching $70M+ when the previous club came in at about $40M. How do I know that? I had many a conversation with the former Cosmos Chief Marketing Officer and we discussed the attempt by their power structure to become the 20th MLS franchise. It was ALWAYS the team’s goal to be in MLS – that’s why the Marketing/Advertizing agency Anomaly was brought in: to sell the team’s potential to the league; Anomaly actually had an ownership stake in the team, which made their efforts all the more important for success. Now to most of you this is just hearsay, and that’s fine because I freely admit my conversations took place over drinks and not in a formal meeting room, so believe me or don’t, but unless you were in the MLS/Cosmos meetings and/or have the minutes from them, just stop with the fictitious notion that the Cosmos turned their back on MLS. Granted, there was no question MLS was interested in the Cosmos because of the name & the ties to NYC in the 70’s/80’s, but they were not ever going to change the league’s structure to accommodate a single potential team owner when there were many more ownership groups eager to join up; evidently, one that was willing to pay $100M. So back to the Cosmos and their supposed negotiations from a position of power (to evidently ultimately spurn MLS according to revisionists)…. The NASL reboot was in 2009. If the Cosmos actively wanted to be part of the NASL, they would have done so immediately instead of being an unaffiliated club attempting to negotiate their way into MLS from 2010-2012 when they ultimately joined the NASL. Even when they announced the buyout from Kemsley to Sela in Nov 2011, they included a snippet in the press release that MLS was their ultimate goal. Granted, the Cosmos website has removed the said new release (because it legitimizes their attempt to join MLS) but the following link (from the next day) has the release in italics: http://www.sportspromedia.com/news/new_york_comos_announce_management_buyout So somehow the Borough Boys all believe the Cosmos closed the door on MLS when in reality the club was focused on MLS & announced: “It is unequivocally the goal of the current ownership to become an MLS team in the most expedient manner possible, and decisions for the club will be made with this in mind.” Of course, after Joe Fragga said this he was soon fired and the revisionist history of the club’s goals began. Why else would the club & its fans be so excited settling for the NASL when MLS had always been the goal?
Interesting post is so many ways. Wish I had some of that info a few years back when I was posting on a Cosmos forum and arguing with those delusional nit wits. I mean anyone with half a brain in his head (I'm almost there) knew that was likely the scenario that took place when it came to the Cosmos and MLS, but at the time I had nothing to back up my arguments other than trying to apply a little common sense.

There were more than a few who felt it was only a matter of time before MLS bent over and grabbed their ankles and let the Cosmos have their way with the League, because you know, they're the Cosmos. The concept that there's no way in hell a League will allow or thrive with 19 teams following one set of rules and a 20th getting special breaks because, you know, they're the Cosmos, flew totally over their heads.

Interesting post is so many ways. Wish I had some of that info a few years back when I was posting on a Cosmos forum and arguing with those delusional nit wits. I mean anyone with half a brain in his head (I'm almost there) knew that was likely the scenario that took place when it came to the Cosmos and MLS, but at the time I had nothing to back up my arguments other than trying to apply a little common sense.

There were more than a few who felt it was only a matter of time before MLS bent over and grabbed their ankles and let the Cosmos have their way with the League, because you know, they're the Cosmos.The concept that there's no way in hell a League will allow or thrive with 19 teams following one set of rules and a 20th getting special breaks because, you know, they're the Cosmos flew totally over their heads.
If MLS would have allowed the Cosmos to do as they please as they claim they wanted, then yes the Cosmos would have destroyed another league like they did the original NASL. There was an article on big soccer asking if the Cosmos can destroy the NASL again??????
http://www.bigsoccer.com/blog/2015/3/20/can-the-cosmos-really-manage-to-destroy-the-nasl-twice

So the Cosmos should be respected and appreciated, in what world??????? They destroyed American soccer a few decades ago and want to act like a big bully now with absolute no reason, and no clout. I actually fucking hate this beer league franchise more then the redbulls and I for one hope the Redbulls destroy this team.

Reactions: whill4 and BxLio91
This whole conversation confuses me a little. I mean, why do you have to root for anyone once your team is eliminated? I watched the Premiere League for several years before I sort of accidentally started rooting for Man City. And when the EPL season was over I would watch MSL when I needed a soccer fix even though I didn't have a particular team.

Was kind of interested in the MetroStars, but not in an "I'm a fan" kind of way. Was not at all interested when they became the Red Bulls though. And I definitely liked the original Pele version Cosmos. Now that I'm an NYCFC fan I can't imagine rooting for either one of the suburb teams though.

Cosmos fans are scum so go NYRB. Red bulls fans have suffered enough
Cosmos fans are scum and think they are woldbeaters for some reason. It is amazing to see how they act considering who the present day cosmos are lol....total hilarity, and kinda sad really. Redbulls fans are jaded american soccer fans. They are so cynical and won't be happy ever EVER! and secretly wish and pray their beloved Metrostars aka the black and red come back somehow. They act like a bunch of know it alls and if you disagree with them they start to call you names etc....so I hate both fans but I hate the Cosmos organization or lack thereof more then anything so I hope they get put in their rightful place.

Reactions: BxLio91
I'm a huge sports fan across the board and I agree with the sentiment of many of you. I couldn't imagine rooting for another team aside from the one (and only one) I support. Anything else cheapens the whole experience.

Reactions: Gene and S1ARK5
Why would you root for either team? Serious question. Can't you watch a match as a neutral and just enjoy it for what it is?
For me it is not about rooting for either team, its about which team do I hate the most, and which team do I not want to see win the most. For me in this game, it is easily the Cosmos. I do this in every sport. I only have one team I root for and care to see win in every sport. Other games that I watch I see which team I dislike the most and root for them to lose.

A) I'm rooting for Team Meteor

B) If one of these teams has to win, I'd rather it be the Red Bulls. Red Bulls fans at least have some sense of perspective about "our team is a branding exercise. We want it to change but it's our team." Perspective has never been had by a Cosmos fan. They think they're greatest thing ever. It's embarrassing to have lost to them, but more wins will make them more insufferable. Two wins over both NY MLS teams? Heck no. I'm team MLS.

I'd never root for another team other than my own. Go to a few road matches and witness the shit that we have to deal with and I promise you will never say another nice word about these teams. Fuck Cosmos and Philly after the way they treated us.

Reactions: BxLio91