Sportswashing and CFG

the world she is a changin.

i would also hope even the most ardent trump haters can give his administration a little credit for this job well done.
It's not a job well done. UAE has been a strong ally of Israel for a long time on a number of issues including Iran. Nothing has practically changed outside of Trump trying to put his name on something.

It's not a job well done. UAE has been a strong ally of Israel for a long time on a number of issues including Iran. Nothing has practically changed outside of Trump trying to put his name on something.

Aside for some back room arms trades to partner against Iran there has been no formal relations between the countries. Israelies couldn’t even travel there or even fly commercial airlines over their air space. I don’t know where you get this “strong ally” BS, but it’s not true. Trump used the concept of annexation (probably a card never meant to be played, but one dems would NEVER even draw from the deck) and parlayed it into a peace deal. And it didn’t require Isreal giving up any land for peace like every other administration has always demanded. It’s pretty brilliant diplomacy and I’m sorry you can’t see it or at least admit it. I’ll still let you hate on Trump for a variety of other reasons, but come on; this was a good thing.

Aside for some back room arms trades to partner against Iran there has been no formal relations between the countries. Israelies couldn’t even travel there or even fly commercial airlines over their air space. I don’t know where you get this “strong ally” BS, but it’s not true. Trump used the concept of annexation (probably a card never meant to be played, but one dems would NEVER even draw from the deck) and parlayed it into a peace deal. And it didn’t require Isreal giving up any land for peace like every other administration has always demanded. It’s pretty brilliant diplomacy and I’m sorry you can’t see it or at least admit it. I’ll still let you hate on Trump for a variety of other reasons, but come on; this was a good thing.
Normalizing relations is nice, but you can't ignore the fact that both Netanyahu and the UAE both benefit with a Trump victory in November. There isn't really a whole lot of proof that Trump or his administration did anything to facilitate this deal.

Regardless of who takes credit for what, I have major doubts that this deal has any real long term impact as long as the Palestine question goes unanswered.

Normalizing relations is nice, but you can't ignore the fact that both Netanyahu and the UAE both benefit with a Trump victory in November. There isn't really a whole lot of proof that Trump or his administration did anything to facilitate this deal.

Regardless of who takes credit for what, I have major doubts that this deal has any real long term impact as long as the Palestine question goes unanswered.

you really can’t admit it. Did you not see Bahrain, Oman, and Yemen have all said they wish to normalize relations with Israel too now that the UEA took the first step? If a UAE/Israel brokered peace is a result of both parties wanted Trump to stay President, then he’s DIRECTLY responsible for the treaty based on your reasoning. He should get the Nobel Peace Prize.

As for the “Palestinian Question”, they’ve been nothing more than a political tool of the Arab nations. And with modernization of the Arab world and their inclusion into the global economy, the Palestinian agenda is getting left behind. And that’s a good thing, because if you took the time to see what Palestinian law stands for (and what type of nation their asking for), you’d see the subjugation of women and murder of their LBGTQ population, as well as the destruction of any Archeological remnants of religions that are not their own. Soon their only supporters will be those with similar ideologies such as Iran, ISIS & Hezbolah. Not the best company to keep.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Israeli-Arab relations for the first time in years, with this development. That said, Trump should be nowhere near the Nobel Peace Prize or any other of any kind. He is a petty, vindictive, selfish, misogynistic jackass and can't leave the national consciousness soon enough!

Reactions: Annagram
I'm cautiously optimistic about Israeli-Arab relations for the first time in years, with this development. That said, Trump should be nowhere near the Nobel Peace Prize or any other of any kind. He is a petty, vindictive, selfish, misogynistic jackass and can't leave the national consciousness soon enough!

I said from the start with EganSoccerWords derek_villa that I'm not arguing one way or another for Trump. I was just following his logic to it's (in some people's eyes) absurd conclusion. I'm just baffled that his hate for Trump won't let him see this development as a good thing, as you just said it was an optimistic development. That's really the my full point, period. This was good for the world and the countries involved in general. Anyone involved in this deal from the US administration should be given credit for a job well done. And everyone is also free to go about hating the current administration for 1001 other reasons, go ahead it's still a free country (aside for quarantines & those trying to stifle free speech). I just find it ludicrous to condemn anything this administration does just because you want them out of office, it's a very unhealthy way to view the world. (counterpoint; it's also unhealthy to praise anything this administration does as well.). Would we do the same with NYCFC and only praise their moves no matter what and hate on another team no matter what, without reason or logic?

I said from the start with EganSoccerWords derek_villa that I'm not arguing one way or another for Trump. I was just following his logic to it's (in some people's eyes) absurd conclusion. I'm just baffled that his hate for Trump won't let him see this development as a good thing, as you just said it was an optimistic development. That's really the my full point, period. This was good for the world and the countries involved in general. Anyone involved in this deal from the US administration should be given credit for a job well done. And everyone is also free to go about hating the current administration for 1001 other reasons, go ahead it's still a free country (aside for quarantines & those trying to stifle free speech). I just find it ludicrous to condemn anything this administration does just because you want them out of office, it's a very unhealthy way to view the world. (counterpoint; it's also unhealthy to praise anything this administration does as well.). Would we do the same with NYCFC and only praise their moves no matter what and hate on another team no matter what, without reason or logic?
I applaud your commitment to fairness and giving credit where credit is due. I don't know who did what in this administration or to what extent this would have happened in a Clinton or other administration.

That's all I got. Fuck this ignorant asshole president and his goons.

Interesting article on Mesut Ozil from a Pakistani publication. It acknowledges other reasons why he might be out of favor at Arsenal (contract, Covid wage cuts, Artete), but makes a plausible case that it also is partly due to him being frozen out by both team and league after he publicly expressed support for Muslim Uighurs in China. It contrasts the unwillingness of the Premier League to support a player on this issue with how they embraced BLM and even issues about police violence in Africa. It's all very cynical.

It will be interesting to see where he lands. MLS -- for now -- probably cares less about the Chinese market than any larger leagues.

Interesting article on Mesut Ozil from a Pakistani publication. It acknowledges other reasons why he might be out of favor at Arsenal (contract, Covid wage cuts, Artete), but makes a plausible case that it also is partly due to him being frozen out by both team and league after he publicly expressed support for Muslim Uighurs in China. It contrasts the unwillingness of the Premier League to support a player on this issue with how they embraced BLM and even issues about police violence in Africa. It's all very cynical.

It will be interesting to see where he lands. MLS -- for now -- probably cares less about the Chinese market than any larger leagues.

That article was actually originally in the NY Times.

after their peace treaty with Israel, I’ve felt more comfortable with the clubs connection to the UAE.

Reactions: LionNYC
So this is now going in the UAE. Wonderful development, sadly I doubt we could ever see such a sight in the USA without some type of protest. If a true peace can be formed and the Middle East steers itself in a more moderate and progressive direction, then much of that sportswashing won't be necessary. Can't wait to visit my Arab cousins in the near future and will gladly fly Etihad to get there. If you know my political leanings, this is a real 180 for me; but I've always believed in an open mind and open heart and hope this is the start of a bright new future for us and future generations.

Last edited:
The Athletic has just published the first part of a two part series about CFG, with the indication that part 2 will heavily feature NYCFC.

Absolute must read! We'll at least keep discussion of Part 1 in this thread since the author calls out "sport-washing" in his tweet of the article:

Can't wait to see Beitar as a regular in the Champions League. Also, anti-arab fans is a headline grabber. I'd say it's full of nationalistic, anti-terrorist fans. The terrorists, just happen to be their Arab neighbors. But as I said in a different thread, the times they are a changin. And this is another example of it. Let's hope for a long stretch of peace between Israel and its neighbors and any anti-anything sentiment becomes a long distant memory.

Reactions: mgarbowski