NYCFCFan10

Registered
Mar 23, 2014
San Jose
BoGpAiiCIAACOH3.jpg

BoLhw2nCMAEOLaO.jpg

BoVq38QCYAAXt6M.jpg

im jealous

Don't be. San Jose have been waiting for their own stadium for 18 years. They even went on a 2 year hiatus because they couldn't get a plan together for an SSS. They deserve it and I hope we won't wait that long for our stadium.

Plus, their stadium looks pretty wack.

Reactions: MrMartinezNYC
Don't be. San Jose have been waiting for their own stadium for 18 years. They even went on a 2 year hiatus because they couldn't get a plan together for an SSS. They deserve it and I hope we won't wait that long for our stadium.

Plus, their stadium looks pretty wack.

I'm not a fan of the single tiered stadiums but I have to say this one looks alright so far.

I'm not a fan of the single tiered stadiums but I have to say this one looks alright so far.
I think it will have a great atmosphere. The fans will be so damn close and with the crazy high slope of the stands it will be loud as hell and every seat will be great. The problem I have with it is the long-term angle. It's one of the most cheaply done MLS stadiums ever (inflation adjusted) and 10-15 years down the line will likely seem run down like Crew Stadium is now.

The terraces could be the wrong move in the short term. Doesn't fifa have a thing About seats?

I agree.

It will seat about 20,000 I believe. If demand increases, they'll build a 4th side. Probably seat somewhere just north of 25,000.

I always wonder with these stadiums, do they plan them for expansion BEYOND those needs? I'd hate to see the Portland situation play out across more MLS stadiums.

Portland was hamstrung because it's a redone stadium. Wasn't new construction

I agree.

It will seat about 20,000 I believe. If demand increases, they'll build a 4th side. Probably seat somewhere just north of 25,000.

I always wonder with these stadiums, do they plan them for expansion BEYOND those needs? I'd hate to see the Portland situation play out across more MLS stadiums.
I wonder the same thing, I would hope the these teams are smart enough to think about the long term. 25K isnt going to cut in the long term and most likely the med term.

I wonder the same thing, I would hope the these teams are smart enough to think about the long term. 25K isnt going to cut in the long term and most likely the med term.

Only one team, Seattle, averages more than 25k. LA is at 22k. Then a number of teams between 15k and 20k. Which is great.

Even in the EPL, half the clubs average below 30k in attendance.

Only one team, Seattle, averages more than 25k. LA is at 22k. Then a number of teams between 15k and 20k. Which is great.

Even in the EPL, half the clubs average below 30k in attendance.
I understand the attendance figures, they are expected to increase in the next several years and the current stadium will not be sufficient. For example, I read earlier that Philly has made plans to increase their capacity in two phased first to 27K then to 30K. The canadian teams are maxed out already pretty much every game. 40K-50K stadiums will be needed in the next 10-15 years, if they are not then MLS will have failed to grow enough to be a top league

The Philly deal hinged on Villanova getting BCS Football. That's not to say the Chester stadium won't grow, but the immediacy of it no longer exists. Point taken on the Canadian stadiums.

I can't ever see MLS being a league on par with EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A and La Liga. It's all about UCL and the sport would take 100 years to overtake NFL, MLB, NBA and BCS Football.

I guess my point is, this league is just scratching the surface, all of the fans are diehard local fans, they are the base, the core. To date there are no national, casual fans, we dont see MLS on sportscenter, on commercials in magazines etc or even on TV outside of the local markets ( new deal should improve this) So, if they are at 19K avg without engaging this huge segment of the US population then to me, there certainly seems to be huge potential. Once the people outside the core are engaged, I believe there will be a real explosion in popularity. New TV deal is a nice first step, getting the NYC and South Florida markets involved is another great step. As far as taking over the other US leagues, I think NFL will see decline, MLB is terrible and will decline, NBA and NHL are tougher but EPL is huge in the US, TV wise bigger than MLS, that is the audience we need to convert, dont necessarily need to take over other sports but become the top soccer league for american and canadien viewers. Also, remember its an international sport so there is no reason why an NYCFC if they become a big club cant generate international revenue. just my thoughts, I think its possible but certainly not in the near time and definitely has serious challenges and is no way a sure thing.

Unfortunately, ESPN has no morals and only covers what they have rights to. That's a major reason MLS isn't on SportsCenter. Will it ever lead SportsCenter? Who knows. I doubt it. However, with the new contract, we'll see MLS on SportsCenter and FoxSportsLive which can only make things better.

Reactions: Kjbert
I'm sorry but we have a long way to go to even get on par with College Basketball in this country. If you ranked interest levels in the US....

NFL
MLB
CFB
NBA
NASCAR
PGA Tour
NHL
CBB
MLS?

I could sit and watch an entire morning of EPL because it's the best talent in the world. Impossible to compar MLS to EPL. The casual EPL fan watches because it's on at 9 AM and it's better than their kids' cartoons and the talent level is insane. I watched Bobby Convey turn the ball over 17 times last week and it was dreadful.

Reactions: jerseyhotspur
I'm sorry but we have a long way to go to even get on par with College Basketball in this country. If you ranked interest levels in the US....

NFL
MLB
CFB
NBA
NASCAR
PGA Tour
NHL
CBB
MLS?

I could sit and watch an entire morning of EPL because it's the best talent in the world. Impossible to compar MLS to EPL. The casual EPL fan watches because it's on at 9 AM and it's better than their kids' cartoons and the talent level is insane. I watched Bobby Convey turn the ball over 17 times last week and it was dreadful.
Now rank the change in interest level over the past 10-15 years. I am not arguing its ultra popular now, but its heading the right direction, its a very large gap but it is closing every year

I would say 15 years ago it looked like this:

NFL
MLB
NASCAR
CFB
NHL
NBA
PGA Tour
CBB
MLS