Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I cannot tell you all how relieved I am now this is finally public-- as some of you know, I work for a consulting firm that has counted NYCFC among our clients for many years. From the inside I watched every version of the stadium plan-- and they were all real to varying degrees-- rise and then get scuttled. Nothing was harder than keeping my mouth (mostly) shut here in this thread among the debates and rampant speculation. I've known this Willets plan was real since May. Going forward I'll share what I can when I can, but as I am sure you can understand, I don't want to jeopardize my job in any way by oversharing.

Also-- as a lifelong New Yorker, and parent who shepherded two kids through youth soccer in the City, I always regarded the Willets site as by far the best possible site for our stadium. The other sports stadiums (and museums, park, etc), the transportation, the international character of the neighborhoods all around, and most of all, as anyone who has wandered through Flushing Meadows-Corona Park on a weekend afternoon and seen about a million youth and pickup soccer games playing out can tell you-- it's the epicenter of soccer culture in the city.

LFG
You should never come close to risking your job. If a new person, perhaps name “Benny” started posting, however, that’s an entirely different story.

So Carton and Roberts spent a ton of time talking about the stadium today on WFAN (you can listen on the audacy site/app). Interesting take, they were really happy for NYCFC and soccer in the city in general but then went on this long rant about how the Jets are still in NJ. And that they can get out of their lease in 2025. Just putting this out there. There a A LOT more Jets fans then there are NYCFC fans, and with $750mm already pledged & the project approve could the Johnsons offer $1B more to make it an 80k seat stadium with retractable roof and field like Tottenham? Kenny are you violating your NDA with a quick Yes or No answer to this possibility?

Personally I don’t think the Jets go anywhere, especially after building that training facility in NJ when they left Hofstra. But it makes a lot of sense to hitch their wagon to an approved project and add extra cash.
I know that they have options every five years to leave their lease (with 1-year notice periods starting every five years in 2024), but I’m not clear on the underlying financial facts. Didn’t the Jets invest a significant amount of money (much of it borrowed from the NFL) to build the stadium with Giants? How could they walk away from that AND have money to build another stadium?

I think it would be hard to justify doing that after building up NJ-based fan support for 40+ years. The Queens-preferring Jets fans are largely old-timers like myself. Would be a very odd decision and one that would require public support, which will be difficult given the obscene Bills giveaway.

JetBlue Stadium. It's just too easy. Etihad only just now added four weekly departures from JFK to bring them up to 11 and they still have just one arrival per day. Not much of a marketing angle there.

But as I've mentioned before, JetBlue is the domestic code share for Etihad Airways. There's a business connection already. The company was founded and is currently headquartered in Queens. It bills itself as New York's Hometown Airline.

And today, just as one example, they have 44 scheduled departures from Terminal B at LaGuardia and 63 arrivals. They fly practically right over our location all day long and every night.

And New York is blue.

I'm not sure what the terms of the shirt sponsorship are, of course. It may not be possible if there's some kind of naming rights clause in it already. Which is possible. But I checked, and of the teams under the CFG umbrella Manchester City, Melbourne and NYCFC have Etihad Airways jerseys. The rest have local sponsorship. So, it's not uniform -- pardon the pun -- across the organization.

Etihad is more than the airline. This is sports washing. They need their name on the stadium. It’s the entire point.

In fact - everyone flying into LGA is going to see a massive Etihad Stadium sign. Don’t discount that.

Why would the Yankees sell when the club value is expected to grow? All they have to do is sit back and let CFG do everything.
Yankees do have to set money aside help pay their share of the stadium, and you add to their other costs. It might be a tough pill with even the preferred rates they can get: $156M (20% of the $780M for the stadium); $190M for AC Millan (10% stake of the $1.9B) ; and then $260M payroll for the Yankees.

Reactions: Fake Jew
So what are Fred Jrs' life plans?
So this reminds me of a story of a young man who met his potential father in law for the first time after a shiDDuch. They went out and had a nice dinner together to get to know each other. At dinner the FIL asks the young man “so I see you don’t have a job yet, what are your plans?” The young man replies “I’m not worried, god will provide”. He then asks where he plans to live when he marries his daughter. Again the pious young man replies “god will provide”. “And you know my daughter has expensive taste, where will you get all the money to take care of her like she expects?” Again without missing a beat, he answers “god will provide”. They eventually finish dinner and the frustrated FIL returns home to his wife. She asks him how the dinner went and he answers. “He seems like a very nice young man, but he thinks I’m god!”

Reactions: Kjbert
Is the environmental remediation complete? I understand from previous posts that the site has to go through environmental review before ULURP (which can be done as a supplemental review to the development in progress), but I'm wondering if the remediation work itself is finished.

Is the environmental remediation complete? I understand from previous posts that the site has to go through environmental review before ULURP (which can be done as a supplemental review to the development in progress), but I'm wondering if the remediation work itself is finished.
Without even knowing anything that’s a hard NO. They probably completed the phase I and phase II. But Phase III will require them to dig out all the dirt, properly dispose of it, pour a concrete basin where the dirt was, then fill with ‘clean dirt’ before putting in the piles. Till you see sidedumps rolling in and out & a huge hole, you can pretty sure the remediation is not complete.

EDIT, just to give ppl a quick understanding. Phase I: review of documents to see if there was ever an issue with the site or any previous remediation completed. Phase II: Testing to see extent of contamination; usually boring and air samples. Phase III: the actual remediation. (Because WP is at sea level & on the water, the dirt below ‘swirls’ so you can’t just dig a hole and fill it. You need to pour a concrete basin to ensure the bad dirt that wasn’t dug up doesn‘t mix in with the new dirt in the future.

Last edited:
No it’s not complete. Environmental remediation is scheduled to be complete at the end of 2023 (as per latest report a couple of months ago)

Without even knowing anything that’s a hard NO. They probably completed the phase I and phase II. But Phase III will require them to dig out all the dirt, properly dispose of it, pour a concrete basin where the dirt was, then fill with ‘clean dirt’ before putting in the piles. Till you see sidedumps rolling in and out & a huge hole, you can pretty sure the remediation is not complete.
Yeah, I found this:
The NYCFC press release says they need more environmental remediation and that ULURP won't start until "by the end of 2023."

"The significant infrastructure investment for this project will include additional environmental cleanup — supplementing the ongoing remediation work — as well as installation of new storm and sanitary sewers, reconstruction of streets, and improvements to the existing streetscape. As with Phase 1, this next phase of the Willets Point transformation will need to go through the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) process — including environmental review — and the New York City Public Design Commission. The ULURP process is expected to start by the end of 2023."

Reactions: Shwafta and adam
Yankees do have to set money aside help pay their share of the stadium, and you add to their other costs. It might be a tough pill with even the preferred rates they can get: $156M (20% of the $780M for the stadium); $190M for AC Millan (10% stake of the $1.9B) ; and then $260M payroll for the Yankees.

I would be SHOCKED if the Club as currently constituted owns the stadium. You are signing a 49 year lease. Some LLC wholly owned by CFG or Abu Dhabi will own and operate the stadium. NYCFC will pay that entity rent. In turn, the LLC will pay the City of New York up to $4 Million in annual rent.

Why would CFG allow the Yankees anywhere near this deal they cut?

Yeah, I found this:
The NYCFC press release says they need more environmental remediation and that ULURP won't start until "by the end of 2023."

"The significant infrastructure investment for this project will include additional environmental cleanup — supplementing the ongoing remediation work — as well as installation of new storm and sanitary sewers, reconstruction of streets, and improvements to the existing streetscape. As with Phase 1, this next phase of the Willets Point transformation will need to go through the Uniform Land Use Review Procedure (ULURP) process — including environmental review — and the New York City Public Design Commission. The ULURP process is expected to start by the end of 2023."
Sounds like they only completed Phase I at this point. So they pulled the documents that listed it as a superfund site. No Duh. Next part is Phase II: boring holes at different points & and air samples to see extent of cleanup required. That can be done in a week.

Yeah, I found this:

I posted about this point yesterday, but I guess I wasn't clear with what I was talking about...