Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Etihad Field

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Etihad Arena

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Etihad Bowl

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Here might be a dumb question. If this were to go through, who would actually own the stadium? I'm assuming NYCFC, right? And wouldn't the stadium and other items there be considered "real estate"? So why would there not be taxes on that, outside of the land?

According to the RFEI, since the land is owned by the state, the site is exempt from property tax assessments. It says respondants should assume payment in-lieu taxes will be owed equal to "full taxes less as-of-right incentives for private uses" (whatever that means).

Eh. There's always going to be a giveaway by the city. And there will always be concessions by the developer - public housing, parks, facilities use.

My point is that if you cry wolf every time someone builds a freaking stadium on public land, you can't be taken seriously anymore. I would like to see how that dimwit from the Village Voice would like this property developed. The city doesn't even own this land. It would be like Bank Of America knocking down their tower and building a new one and people complaining there isn't anything in it for the city.

Totally agree with that. Solid example.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
It is the issue at hand. If the state sits on the land, the city gets zilch. The city will never see any revenue from the site under current conditions - They aren’t a player in the game, they aren’t even watching the game in the same room, they are at best a bystander watching the game on TV with fuzzy antiquated antennas
But that does not mean they are not impacted by the decision!

Eh. There's always going to be a giveaway by the city. And there will always be concessions by the developer - public housing, parks, facilities use.

My point is that if you cry wolf every time someone builds a freaking stadium on public land, you can't be taken seriously anymore. I would like to see how that dimwit from the Village Voice would like this property developed. The city doesn't even own this land. It would be like Bank Of America knocking down their tower and building a new one and people complaining there isn't anything in it for the city.
To add, this parcel of land cannot be economically feasible with just affordable housing, plus taxes on affordable housing is pithy. It could be an above-rate oasis that would generate a boatload of tax revenue, but the optics on that would bring out the pitchforks. Any pundit complaining about this on the city’s behalf isn’t looking at the alternatives, they’re myopically focused on NIMBY with hands held out begging.

I thought I read in the RFEI the state owns it and we are in a 99 year lease at $500,000/year that will be adjusted for inflation.

That is actually a good deal for the state if I read that correctly. DC United is paying $1/year for their stadium.
Just because something is not the worst deal does not mean it's a good deal.

But that does not mean they are not impacted by the decision!
Sure the city is impacted, with a very favorable project that brings all classes of New Yorkers to the area with a ton of community amenities and additional park space. And they get all of that for nothing. How is the city negatively impacted?

Reactions: Kjbert
What is a good deal here to you? Genuinely curious.
A deal where the state gets compensated for the land at a fair market value, either via lease or sale.

I don't know what that it, but it's hard to imagine that it's a revenue stream with a PV of $10mm.

There are private transactions of land that needs to be remediated or land that comes with use restrictions all the time. Determining a fair value should not be hard.

The state owns an asset that is being underutilized. The bogey is not the value it had been generating, but the value it could be generating.

Reactions: sundance and joe
A deal where the state gets compensated for the land at a fair market value, either via lease or sale.

I don't know what that it, but it's hard to imagine that it's a revenue stream with a PV of $10mm.

There are private transactions of land that needs to be remediated or land that comes with use restrictions all the time. Determining a fair value should not be hard.

The state owns an asset that is being underutilized. The bogey is not the value it had been generating, but the value it could be generating.
What's stopping anybody who wants to put a better proposal on the table from doing so? If there's no formidable obstacle to that, and the NYCFC proposal ends up being the best available, the only comp is between doing nothing and letting the NYCFC deal go ahead, no?

And that is why they do an RFEI/RFP, right - pick the best deal offered?

Because it doesn't matter what one might imagine. It only matters what someone offers.

If there's a surefire better offer, well, we can't be upset if the NYCFC-included deal gets busted.

The crux, I think, of most arguing against you here, is that it seems highly unlikely that someone else will come up with a financially viable alternative that results in a better outcome.

How I read all of this, anyway. As it is, I make no judgments as to the validity of either point.

I might research it all later, but probably not because I don't care all that much even if it weren't the best deal. What do I care who takes the "free" ride. That money has already been snatched from my pocket. Might as well go to something I'll get some use and enjoyment from.

That’s a tortured argument. The state’s interests in this are not the same as the city’s and so you can’t just use them interchangeably.

The state is getting a good deal. They lose nothing and gain something.

The city isnt Gaining anything that could be possible but they are losing anything either.

Not getting something you could have under a completely different set of circumstances is not a subsidy.
I meant that to say I don't care who's giving the public subsidy, just that a public subsidy is being given.

What's stopping anybody who wants to put a better proposal on the table from doing so? If there's no formidable obstacle to that, and the NYCFC proposal ends up being the best available, the only comp is between doing nothing and letting the NYCFC deal go ahead, no?
Damn you for beating me to my point because I wanted to additionally point out that I am absent any altruistic concerns in this instance.

The problem, many times in the past, has been that municipalities don't take the "best" deal, they take the deal that makes the best headlines and photo opp.

Reactions: ManhattanValley

You also kind of have to devalue the land by ~$100m upfront since that is estimated to be the cost to bring the site to a condition to which it can be built on, unless the state were to go ahead and do that themselves.

I would imagine that in and of itself would impact the potential bids that would be coming in for this site and result in less "good deal" options as you mention.

The problem, many times in the past, has been that municipalities don't take the "best" deal, they take the deal that makes the best headlines and photo opp.

Just realize that we are obviously offering both here.

* "realize" in this instance means don't think too hard about it, and just let yourself hope the club gets a deal done, everything else be damned.

You think that reduced the value of the land to only $10 million?

Whether a lease or sale, how does the city or the state benefit from a below-market transaction?
I never put a number on it. I honestly wouldn't know how and never claimed to. You said it was "an almost perfect comparable." Stand by it or not.

Reactions: Kjbert and Ulrich
You also kind of have to devalue the land by ~$100m upfront since that is estimated to be the cost to bring the site to a condition to which it can be built on, unless the state were to go ahead and do that themselves.

I would imagine that in and of itself would impact the potential bids that would be coming in for this site and result in less "good deal" options as you mention.
What's the source for the $100mm remediation number? I missed that. Sounds kind of high...