Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
Announcing a stadium deal doesn't mean it gets built. The West Side Stadium was announced and went down a long bumpy road to nothing-land.
And I would imagine that that is something that the team is considering with the current stadium search. The last thing they want to do is to publicly announce something to only have it publicly killed later.

Reactions: Ulrich and Sabo
And I would imagine that that is something that the team is considering with the current stadium search. The last thing they want to do is to publicly announce something to only have it publicly killed later.

Eventually they're going to have to announce it. Then the public will decry it. It's inevitable. It's not like they're going to be able to build the whole thing without the community knowing.

Eventually they're going to have to announce it. Then the public will decry it. It's inevitable. It's not like they're going to be able to build the whole thing without the community knowing.
Well yeah. All I'm saying, is I'm sure the club is performing additional due diligence considering potential public backlash that will come (I probably shouldn't use the word potential, any new development has backlash).

Man, there's been a ton of smoke the last few months. Hard to believe there's nothing to any of it.

The biggest piece of smoke is what Sims said last night upthread -- either he's a complete fool (possible), or they're getting ready to announce something and he thinks the new stadium is opening in 3-4 years. I find it hard to believe he'd misspeak that largely when speaking to a fan.

I should add that the 3-4 years fits with what I heard from someone at the club. After announcement, one year for permits and two or three years to build.

Exactly. They are going to want to lock it down best they can, but nothing is 100%.

I should add that the 3-4 years fits with what I heard from someone at the club. After announcement, one year for permits and two or three years to build.
Right. As we’ve discussed before, the only timeline that makes sense is that they announce once the private contracts are in place for the proposal, but before city/state approval. You can’t get the approvals without going through ULURP, where it’s all public anyway. I’m sure they’ve had as many advance discussions as possible, but we’re still in for a lot of process, post-announcement, before breaking ground.

What if they build it like Disney? At Disney World you never see construction happening. All those areas are closed off from view. What if the stadium was built in "secret" and only announced when completed?

What if they build it like Disney? At Disney World you never see construction happening. All those areas are closed off from view. What if the stadium was built in "secret" and only announced when completed?

that'd never happen. disney can do that cause they own all that land and there's no one to protest it. big difference from building in the middle of a big city. and if your statement was sarcasm then forget what i said! :D

also... i have belief that they will announce something before the end of the year. it's an election year for city council. usually it's the local politicians who are the biggest opponents to these development projects. maybe they are waiting to make sure they get the green light from new members before they go forward? i'm not too apprised of the local politics so i don't really have any idea if that would effect stadium plans in the bronx or queens.. *shrug* just a thought.

How much of the "public portion" of the deal could you potentially get done BEFORE the deal "goes public"? Is it possible that they've spent a huge amount of time greasing the wheels with politicians, community groups, etc., while completing the proposals to make this go as smoothly as possible?

How much of the "public portion" of the deal could you potentially get done BEFORE the deal "goes public"? Is it possible that they've spent a huge amount of time greasing the wheels with politicians, community groups, etc., while completing the proposals to make this go as smoothly as possible?
Of course. They will be lining up support from as many politicians and city officials as they can. But you can't lock up a vote until the vote is called.

Reactions: SoupInNYC

That's what did Amazon in. Most people didn't understand the real positive or negative economic impact with the deal. Once the big bad Amazon ball got rolling, it was never going to happen, even if it was the best thing for the city. They assumed everyone was going to love the idea. Nowadays all it takes is one person on a soapbox to potentially derail a stadium. They need to do this the right way. They know this too.

That's what did Amazon in. Most people didn't understand the real positive or negative economic impact with the deal. Once the big bad Amazon ball got rolling, it was never going to happen, even if it was the best thing for the city. They assumed everyone was going to love the idea. Nowadays all it takes is one person on a soapbox to potentially derail a stadium. They need to do this the right way. They know this too.
Except that it was a horrible deal for the city on so many levels. The stadium would in theory not be getting the freebies that amazon had demanded.

I actually think Amazon was a pretty good deal all-in-all, but I understand that can be open to debate.

The problem is that there never really was a debate. The deal got announced and people shit all over it and Amazon didn't care to engage in the fight.

And that's what is relevant for us. There is likely to be big pushback, and progressives in the city are going to claim there are major subsidies for CFG in the deal, whether or not that's true. Let's hope there is a little more of a debate this time.

I can seriously see Red Bull fans protesting an NYCFC stadium. Even after they shit on playing on a baseball field, they wouldn't want us having a soccer specific stadium in NYC.

I can seriously see Red Bull fans protesting an NYCFC stadium. Even after they shit on playing on a baseball field, they wouldn't want us having a soccer specific stadium in NYC.

This is an interesting thought. What would be the benefit or doing that? To simply have the baseball stadium point as something to make fun of? Or is it fear of losing fans who actually live in the city? At this point, I don't think there would be any conversions even after a stadium is built.

The problem is that there never really was a debate. The deal got announced and people shit all over it and Amazon didn't care to engage in the fight.

Exactly my point. Once it picked up negative steam, it was over. They didn't even get a chance to renegotiate.

If they roll an announcement out without trying to appease everyone and cover their bases, it will be doomed. All you have to do is read the history of the current Yankee stadium. It took a long ass time. Multiple mayors. Many rejections. Almost 20 years to get something done. In the end, billions of taxpayer's money between the Yankees and Mets. Even if they don't include public funding, I don't think people will welcome it. Does the majority even know what MLS is, let alone NYCFC? It's a complicated task putting a SSS in a boro for a team with little demand. If they pull it off, I will be impressed.

• Wow
Reactions: Christopher Jee
Exactly my point. Once it picked up negative steam, it was over. They didn't even get a chance to renegotiate.

If they roll an announcement out without trying to appease everyone and cover their bases, it will be doomed. All you have to do is read the history of the current Yankee stadium. It took a long ass time. Multiple mayors. Many rejections. Almost 20 years to get something done. In the end, billions of taxpayer's money between the Yankees and Mets. Even if they don't include public funding, I don't think people will welcome it. Does the majority even know what MLS is, let alone NYCFC? It's a complicated task putting a SSS in a boro for a team with little demand. If they pull it off, I will be impressed.
Seems a bit strong to say they didn't get a chance to renegotiate. IIRC they walked away and turned to Alexandria.