Votes: 113 34.8%
  • Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
I still have my money on the GAL/Parking garage site.

I would really, really like to know the exact reason why this isn't already done. It seems too perfect with a rather reasonable pile of red tape to not be done. Other than price (be it the likely false rumor of GAL asking too much, or CFG's unwillingness to pay full taxes on the property or other political costs), there doesn't seem to be a single insurmountable hurdle.

I too think it will be there eventually, once CFG realizes that they simply aren't going to get a good deal anywhere on this project. I could even see them going back to the Queens site and paying off the right people, but that seems to have more hurdles than the Bronx.

They'll spend another year on the search at least, then crawl back to one of these sites and plop down the money.

Reactions: Gene
I've basically accepted YS at this point. I know we can't stay there forever, but it's not all bad. The one gripe I have is the cost to get there. I live half a mile from the Patchogue LIRR station, so I naturally hop on that to Penn and then grab a subway up, but it ends up costing more to get there are back than the seat itself. I wonder if it would be possible to work out some kind of game+LIRR ticket combo to attract more fans from LI. Does anyone know if they still run $7 busses direct to the city out of Ronkonkoma?

Ultimate pipe dream that requires everybody to wear multiple layers of tin-foil hats...... (and the probably of this happening is better than me having won Wednesday's lottery)

Madison Square Garden's is on borrowed time with the city not renewing their lease and NYS wants to move Penn Station over to the Post Office. What happens to that site between 31st/33rd street and 7th/8th Avenue? That would be the most amazing location as a transportation hub destination (close to West Side Highway, tunnels, rail and subways), restaurants/bars, and centrally located. Have CFG kick in some (a lot of) $$ to help with the Penn Station relocation and wheels could be greased. Granted, MSG isn't getting kicked out until 2023, so the timeline sucks, but maybe that's stadium #2 for after NYCFC outgrows the 1st generation venue.

MSG isn't going anywhere. Period.

Secondly, any talk of NYCFC having a stadium in midtown Manhattan or prime oceanfront property is a crazy pipe dream. This isn't the NFL we're talking about. I'm glad people are pumped about the team and MLS but most people simply don't care about it. Stadiums are such a hot button issue and most neighborhoods want nothing to do with them. It will get done eventually but not in some of the crazy areas you guys are suggesting.

MSG isn't going anywhere. Period.

Secondly, any talk of NYCFC having a stadium in midtown Manhattan or prime oceanfront property is a crazy pipe dream. This isn't the NFL we're talking about. I'm glad people are pumped about the team and MLS but most people simply don't care about it. Stadiums are such a hot button issue and most neighborhoods want nothing to do with them. It will get done eventually but not in some of the crazy areas you guys are suggesting.
Lighten up Francis.....

First - I started it off by saying it was a pipe dream. I even equated it to me winning the lottery this past Wednesday.

Second - I guess you never saw that the City Council back in 2013 voted 47-1 to extend MSG's lease for only 10 years (not in perpetuity) so that they have time to find a new home and the area redeveloped.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html

So while NYCFC won't be building there unless I'm struct twice by lightning this weekend, MSG won't be there either short of a massive change of heart from a decidedly anti-MSG city council.

Lighten up Francis.....

First - I started it off by saying it was a pipe dream. I even equated it to me winning the lottery this past Wednesday.

Second - I guess you never saw that the City Council back in 2013 voted 47-1 to extend MSG's lease for only 10 years (not in perpetuity) so that they have time to find a new home and the area redeveloped.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/25/nyregion/madison-square-garden-is-told-to-move.html

So while NYCFC won't be building there unless I'm struct twice by lightning this weekend, MSG won't be there either short of a massive change of heart from a decidedly anti-MSG city council.

So where would the biggest entertainment and sports venue in the NYC metro area move to? Where would the Knicks play? The Rangers? The Liberty? Where would Taylor Swift play?

Reactions: Tiger Jones
So where would the biggest entertainment and sports venue in the NYC metro area move to? Where would the Knicks play? The Rangers? The Liberty? Where would Taylor Swift play?
Wherever they can find space for their fifth location..... now if they want to start paying the real estate taxes on the site (estimated $54mil in 2014), then I'm sure the City Council may reconsider the vote.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/msg-exemption-property-taxes-tripled-article-1.1792875

Lighten up Francis.....

My point about pipe dream locations was not specifically directed at you so don't take offense too much.

I'm well aware of the ten year lease granted to MSG. I'm also aware of the $1 BILLION transformation that the venue just underwent. Are you to tell me that one of the most iconic venues in the country (that house two of the wealthiest franchises in American sports) which just underwent a billion dollar renovation is going to just get up and move in ten years? They will absolutely come to an agreement and I will bet anything on it. They have ten years to figure it out and they will.

My point about pipe dream locations was not specifically directed at you so don't take offense too much.

I'm well aware of the ten year lease granted to MSG. I'm also aware of the $1 BILLION transformation that the venue just underwent. Are you to tell me that one of the most iconic venues in the country (that house two of the wealthiest franchises in American sports) which just underwent a billion dollar renovation is going to just get up and move in ten years? They will absolutely come to an agreement and I will bet anything on it. They have ten years to figure it out and they will.
The city actually warned MSG against the $1B transformation before they started - the city had/has been pissed about no real estate taxes and MSG wouldn't relent and meet them somewhere in the middle. The warning was because as a lessee, any improvements are forfeited at the end of the lease - it was a game of chicken that MSG was playing and the City didn't blink. And considering two of the wealthiest sports franchises play there, it's all the more reason MSG shouldn't get a free ride - I'm glad the City Council gave them the finger.

While they may hope future elected officials will relent, it should not be something they are counting on. There is every reason to believe that MSG will not play chicken again with 7 years left and will renegotiate a lease that is fair to the city that they have fleeced for decades. And if not, then they're going to be in a worse situation than NYCFC.

Reactions: sbrylski
Ultimate pipe dream that requires everybody to wear multiple layers of tin-foil hats...... (and the probably of this happening is better than me having won Wednesday's lottery)

Madison Square Garden's is on borrowed time with the city not renewing their lease and NYS wants to move Penn Station over to the Post Office. What happens to that site between 31st/33rd street and 7th/8th Avenue? That would be the most amazing location as a transportation hub destination (close to West Side Highway, tunnels, rail and subways), restaurants/bars, and centrally located. Have CFG kick in some (a lot of) $$ to help with the Penn Station relocation and wheels could be greased. Granted, MSG isn't getting kicked out until 2023, so the timeline sucks, but maybe that's stadium #2 for after NYCFC outgrows the 1st generation venue.

What are you smoking and where can I get some?

What are you smoking and where can I get some?
Nothing at the time of the out-of-body vision, but currently - and I highly recommend it as my house bottle - enjoying a few fingers of Cragganmore 12yo.

I Would love it if MSG got the boot, and it's possible, if unlikely, it would happen. But, it would only happen in order to put a proper train station on the site. There is no chance we'd end up there.

Reactions: adam
Wherever they can find space for their fifth location..... now if they want to start paying the real estate taxes on the site (estimated $54mil in 2014), then I'm sure the City Council may reconsider the vote.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/msg-exemption-property-taxes-tripled-article-1.1792875

The break will cost taxpayers an eye-popping $54 million next year — up from $17 million this year, IBO Deputy Director George Sweeting said.

Typical politician speak. Revenue not collected is not a cost. It's not in the budget and if it was, De Blowsio would piss it away anyway.

Typical politician speak. Revenue not collected is not a cost. It's not in the budget and if it was, De Blowsio would piss it away anyway.
You're right, it's not a Cost, it's a Loss and missed opportunity to be put to use.

I Would love it if MSG got the boot, and it's possible, if unlikely, it would happen. But, it would only happen in order to put a proper train station on the site. There is no chance we'd end up there.
Amtrak is going to be moved back to the Post Office with the underground Penn Station remaining where it's at. No word on the above ground structures.

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/6t...-penn-station-and-farley-post-office-building

And yes, NYCFC is a total Pipe Dream.......

perhaps just at times i see that the thread has increased a few pages im thinking oh new rumor or something, and it turns out its just a political battle or about other issues that belong on the off topic boards. i guess its what happens when there is no news and just pure speculation is all that is left.

If it helps you out, when (if?) there ever is a new update to the story, I plan to amend it into the title of the thread so that everyone knows.

Reactions: FootyLovin
They've been talking about moving Amtrak to the post office for 20 years. And there is no reason to move MSG if it's not to bring that train station out of the basement.
Well, they also talked about building the 2nd avenue subway line for half a century..... and look what's happening on the east side.

They've been talking about moving Amtrak to the post office for 20 years. And there is no reason to move MSG if it's not to bring that train station out of the basement.
Construction has started.

MSG has moved multiple times. I wouldn't really care as a knicks fan because tickets are so expensive I can't afford them anyway. After sandbagging the Jets west side stadium, Dolan can suck it.

Reactions: adam and NYCFCFan10