• Long Island

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Dual-Boroughs

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Etihad Island

Votes: 5 1.5%

• Total voters
FYI

Phase I = paperwork & research if there was ever a recorded Enviornmental issue on property. It’s a 50 odd page report.

Phase II = testing for contaminants if Phase I found any issues. (Air samples, ground samples)

Phase III = this is the longest, hardest, most expensive part. Actual remediation. They will probably have to dig out all the contaminated dirt. Haul it somewhere safe. Build a large concrete basin because of sealevel and how close they are to water. Then fill that basin with “clean dirt” to build on.
I actually want to clarify what I am referring to in terms of Phase 1 and Phase 2 and it's the different plots of land, not the stages of remediation.

Phase 1 is the smaller plot that includes the school and senior housing. Phase 2 is the larger plot that includes the stadium.

Might be a dumb question i could easily find online, but what exactly is the contaminant that's currently there? (what caused it, i mean?)
Well what was found that is causing this particular delay is "residual light non-aqueous phase liquid (LNAPL)".

Don't even bother asking me what that is, lol

Basically, name a contaminant, any contaminant... it's in there!

The primary contaminants of concern at the site are polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), pesticides, metals and petroleum-related and chlorinated volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs), which are present in soil and groundwater. Additionally, chlorinated and petroleum-related VOCs were identified in soil vapor.

edit: and that's just the Phase 1 portion of Willets, for which the remdiation is now done and they are ready to start building. The Phase 2 and 3 areas are larger (Phase 2 includes the stadium).

I don’t understand the need for remediation. Dig your holes. Build the foundation and leave it.

As I understand it there are things there that could make people sick. If you want this to be a year-round events space for the community with apartments and schools, you can't have people living and going to school on a toxic waste dump.

Guys have been chopping up stolen cars there for 70 years lol.

Guys have been chopping up stolen cars there for 70 years lol.
And that means you know how their health has been affected by the stuff there? Have you checked? What about other places on the planet that have had these sorts of contamination issues? There's a reason these things are in place...

Reactions: JCMore
Do Not Touch Lebron James GIF by Uninterrupted

Reactions: JCMore and Joe_Cos
And that means you know how their health has been affected by the stuff there? Have you checked? What about other places on the planet that have had these sorts of contamination issues? There's a reason these things are in place...

I’m pro environment, but if there’s no runoff into a water source and if the foundation is stable, why unbury the dead?

I’m pro environment, but if there’s no runoff into a water source and if the foundation is stable, why unbury the dead?
I'm not an expert on this and don't claim to be, hence why I think it makes sense to leave it to them to do assessment and determine what makes the most sense here.

I'm not an expert on this and don't claim to be, hence why I think it makes sense to leave it to them to do assessment and determine what makes the most sense here.

Would they have the same rules in Texas or Florida is my baseline

Sounds like engine oil and other car related liquids that were improperly disposed.
Years ago my father was an insurance adjuster. this was 30 plus years ago. The ground was so saturated in oil then that you would be standing on dirt and feeling your feet sliding apart while standing still. I can't imagine it got much better. Well I know EPA came in and regulations began to get enforced but everything in the ground stayed in the ground.