Take Part In Fourfourtwo Article

NYCFC_Dan

Registered
Staff member
Seasoned Supporter
Mar 17, 2014
Tampa, Florida
Hey guys I was asked by the managing editor for fourfourtwo to give my opinions on a couple things.
I like to involve you guys as much as I can and take as much attention away from me as possible.
With that said I'll let you guys answer the questions and send it over to him and he can sift through and take what he wants.
Please give first name last initial so they're not printing usernames.
What he's looking for. I just copied the email.

Here are the questions, then – although a general overview of how they got into the club would work just as well:

- How did you first hear about NYCFC, and when? What was your initial reaction when you heard of the plans for this specific franchise?

- Had you previously been awaiting a team based in New York? Did you ever go to Jersey to watch Red Bulls?

- Were NYCFC your first taste of live football?

- Does it feel special to be part of a club from the very beginning, creating memories instead of reliving them?

- How did you first hear about NYCFC, and when? What was your initial reaction when you heard of the plans for this specific franchise?
I had heard of NYCFC when they announced Lampard was signing for the team (the original announcement, not his "actual" signing in January.) Initially, I was very excited but a little put off by the fact they were going to be owned by Manchester City, or CFG, I should say. Regardless, I gave the team a chance to win me over.

- Had you previously been awaiting a team based in New York? Did you ever go to Jersey to watch Red Bulls?
I've been to a couple Red Bull games in the past. One at their old stadium, and one the year they opened their new stadium. The first game I went to was great. Galaxy beat the Red Bulls 5-4, and I believe it was Beckham's first game in America. The reason I didn't follow the MLS, or the Red Bulls wasn't really because of them being based in New Jersey, though. Being from Central New York it doesn't really make a difference to me going to RB stadium or Yankee stadium to watch a game. It was more to do with the fact that I never felt a connection with the Red Bulls, and I didn't like how they ran the club. I wanted to be a fan of a soccer team, not an energy drink.

No, I have been to a few Red Bull games. New York Red Bulls against LA Galaxy and New York Red Bulls against Philadelphia. I have also seen a lot of club friendlies- NYRB vs Barcelona, Manchester United vs Barcelona, Chelsea vs PSG, Chelsea vs AC Milan, Valencia vs Inter Milan, and Chelsea vs Manchester City.

- Does it feel special to be part of a club from the very beginning, creating memories instead of reliving them?
Very much so. Being a founding member and a fan of the team since day one feels really special. Being at the home opener was the best soccer experience of my life and something I will never forget. I have not only become a huge fan of the club, but I've now realized what a great league we have here with the MLS.

Around early 2014 heard a bit about them, then more so as WC 2014 approached. I was very excited once I learned more about it. Never got into Metrostars/RBs, and hearing a team would be starting from scratch within NYC proper spurred me on to want to support them from the get go. I didn't care about CFG ownership issue at all. I thought, if you get bogged down in worrying about which ownership group owns what team, you'll drive yourself crazy. Case in point, I am a die hard NYY fan. I think the FO is pretty terrible, and the way they run YS '09 makes game day boring, bland, and basic. But am I going to give up my 30 yr allegiance because I don't like the owners? Nope. I root for the laundry now and forever.

Not so much awaiting as thinking it would be cool if that someday happened. If not, I wasn't losing sleep over it. And no, never went to a RB/Metrostars game.

No. I went to several matches at Giants Stadium for WC '94, and went to a few int'l club friendlies at YS past few yrs.

Yes. First time I am a part of a club's supporters from day 1 for any sport, so it definitely has that air of shiny new toy at Christmas feeling. I just hope the thousands that got in from the beginning stay on through thick and thin, given this is an expansion team and people need to temper expectations accordingly, and the club continues to grow 2015 and beyond. I also hope for more transparency from the club in the future. The Lampard debacle really should not happen again; no excuse for how the FO handled that.

Can't remember the specifics, but by surfing the 'net you knew something was up when info started leaking how MLS purchased the rights to the terms "NYCFC" and another name which I seem to recall was "EMPIRE SOCCER CLUB" (apologies if the latter is incorrect).

When it became known MCFC, Paris Saint-Germain and a few more groups were rumored to be in the running to purchase MLS team #20 for New York, it became not a matter of if but of when.

Like many others I could never get into the Metro Stars/Red Bulls. I can't honestly put my finger on any one specific reason, but I just could never get into them. I never took in a Red Bulls match, because of the perception of it being too much of a hassle to get out to Harrison. Now whether or not that's unfair is a topic for another discussion, but that's something that does keep fans from making the trip to Red Bull Arena.

No. You can count the number of Cosmos matches I've missed on the fingers of one hand in the 8 years or so they played at Giants Stadium.

heh :)

How did you first hear about NYCFC, and when? What was your initial reaction when you heard of the plans for this specific franchise?

I knew some people who were working on the "MLS to Queens" lobbying effort several years ago and they told me about it immediately "because you're a huge soccer fan" and I happen to live in Queens. I was excited and wanted as much information as possible. When I heard about the plans I was upset we weren't getting a SSS but figured I'd rather not wait years for it and have a team start to form first.

Of course I was waiting for this. With the whole "MLS to Queens" lobbying effort I thought we would have the Cosmos playing in Flushing Meadows. I did go to Red Bull Arena once, to watch the USMNT in their send off to Brazil last year. (I already have tickets for the NYCFC game as my second trip there)

My first taste of live football (aside from playing it) was watching St. John's play in college. First International taste was Chile v Ecuador at Citifield in 2012. First MLS game was Seattle vs Portland about three years ago. Nothing beat being in Brazil for the World Cup though.

uhhhh… duh! I'll get to tell my kids I was there from the beginning. The last new pro sports franchise in NYC were the Mets way back in 1962. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity and hopefully a tradition I pass on to future generations. They say you can't change your family or your football team. Well they didn't say anything about waiting to pick one.

Mei H.

I first heard about NYCFC on Facebook last year when I saw advertisements for Season Tickets. I was thrilled! I remember telling my husband about it and him having no clue what I was talking about. We quickly decided it was something we needed to do.

We went to a Red Bulls game once and I recall wishing they played in the city. I was never a fan, but I did follow them out of love for Thierry Henry. COYG!!!!

I had been to a Red Bulls game previously, but the home opener for NYCFC felt a thousand times more electric. It really made me feel like I have found my team.

It is hard to describe how happy I am to be a founding member. Every game is special and history is made every time those boys step onto the pitch. I hope that it becomes clear very quickly that we deserve a SSS and it should be a priority for this city to make sure our community is recognized and properly served.

Reactions: Errata24 and JLa
- Was following MLS for the past 10 years so always heard the rumors of them wanting a 2nd NY team. So the day they announced NY would be getting a 2nd team I was behind it as long as they played in NY. Even though I am not a City fan or to big on super power money owners, I saw that at least with what they are trying to accomplish with City Group is being very dedicated to developing the sport and providing high class training and facilities so I was more for it, that if it had been maybe some other super rich owner or big club starting us.

- Living in upstate I would follow what USL team Rochester Rhinos did. Went to a few games for Red Bulls, but could never get behind the atmosphere of the club, the commute to Jersey and just the fact that they were a Jersey team (unlike other NY teams who started in NY and then moved out to Jersey).

- Nope, professionally I first saw Chicago v San Jose back in '10 then I moved to Europe and went to a bunch of games around the continent.

-Yeah it kind of does. When I watch history stuff for my European clubs, you think wow it would have been great to see that event long before you were born. Now I will see every bit of their history till the day I die.

Hey guys I was asked by the managing editor for fourfourtwo to give my opinions on a couple things.
I like to involve you guys as much as I can and take as much attention away from me as possible.
With that said I'll let you guys answer the questions and send it over to him and he can sift through and take what he wants.

Here are the questions, then – although a general overview of how they got into the club would work just as well:

1. I heard about it on Facebook, the first reaction I had was excitement, there's finally a New York team. I wanted to see how the project panned out but I was interested for sure.
2. I've been waiting a while. Red bull never caught my attention being in New Jersey. Never really wanted to follow them, they never appealed to me, so I never went to a game.

3. I've been a football fan all my life, supporting Italian teams such as Inter and Palermo. But never had that high level nearby team to support, didn't even get excited for the cosmos announcement.

4. It feels amazing to be apart of this club. To be here from the beginning is a great feeling to have, we've started off with a bang and I can't wait to see what the future holds for our team, stadium and project as a whole. Being a season ticket holder for the first time is exciting and gives me a lot to look forward to every week

Reactions: knittersupremo

I honestly do not recall when/how I learned of NYCFC. I am on social media a lot. My best guess would be that during the World Cup I was more aware of soccer posts in my feeds.

However, as a nativer NYer ( 44 years) I immediately found the FB page and then almost immediately the page for The Third Rail.

My kids, girls ages 9 and 6, were really into watching the 2014 World Cup. We watched as many games as we could. They had the sticker book and were trading stickers with friends. They learned team colors and country flags. My MIL is from Germany so you can imagine the thrill they all had. With NYCFC, I was excited that there would be an option for us to support a local team. I had never once considered going to NJ to see that other team.

I was on the Manhattan Kickers from when I was 8 - 13. Then I played in high school. Right up to the second where I tore my ACL and medial meniscus. Three surgeries over three years and I feel glad to be able to kick a ball around with my kids.

I have watched quite a bit of televised soccer over the years. I dated a guy from England and followed LFC for a while.

However, NYCFC represents the first MLS games I have attended.

The electrcity in the air at the opening match was incredible. My girls have spent time learning more about official rules and making glitter signs for their favorite player - Jeb Brovsky. ( which makes me proud since I always played defense.)

Being a founding member , being a STH and being a charter member of the Third Rail ( my kids are Light Rail) and joining The Blue Ladies of NYCFC, is the beginning of a new family experience that might not have happened without this city, this club.

Answers below:
John H.

2-3 years ago and I have been waiting ever since.

YES! Went to the Red Bulls / Metrostars once. But you can't be a New York team unless someone can get there on the MTA!

No. Spurs supporter and have seen them multiple times. Saw Marseille FC in France, and Metrostars in NJ.

YES. It's been great to have been there from the start.

How did you first hear about NYCFC, and when? What was your initial reaction when you heard of the plans for this specific franchise?
I don't remember exactly. I remember hearing about the proposed stadium in Flushing Meadows from a friend who was not happy about it. I was aware that we were getting a team at that time but I didn't really know any details. I had been waiting for the announcement about their first season but somehow missed it - by the time I found out the season tickets had already been on sale for a while. So I would say I was late to the party. I was very excited to finally have a real NYC team.

Screw Jersey.

No, I had gone to see a double header at Gillette Stadium a couple years ago. It was AC Milan and CD Olimpia, then the Revs vs .... someone else. I also watched Italy get eliminated from the world cup from the field in San Siro Stadium last year... though we were watching the game on the screens before a concert, so I guess that doesn't really count.

Yea, it does. It's a huuuuge part of it.

I was invited as a member of the press to attend the Franchise Announcement event held by MLS in Harlem. Prior to that announcement I was involved with covering the NY Cosmos and through that affiliation attended the MLS2Queens event.

My initial reaction was lukewarm. I was interested to see what would happen with MCFC and Yankees as partners, but was not eagerly supporting the team from day 1.

I was a NY Red Bull STH for two years. I also covered the NY Cosmos and their NASL Reboot.

Attending Red Bull games was first interaction with Professional soccer since watching the Cosmos in the late 70's.

I 100% agree with the last question. I was involved with the Cosmos from day 1. They were young, because it was NASL for many players it was their first professional contract. It was great to see that team develop.

Once NYCFC started signing more players my interest was peaked. It didn't hurt that the Cosmos were starting to struggle, both on the field and with attendance. When the announcement came out to place deposits for Season Tickets I was one of the first in line. Since I placed that deposit it's been NYCFC all the way.

I've been following the NY2 developments since around 2007 when there were rumors of a possible 2nd team in NYC. I consider myself a supporter since the day NY2 was officially announced as NYCFC.

Had you previously been awaiting a team based in New York? Did you ever go to Jersey to watch Red Bulls?
I had heard about the possibility of another NY team trying to secure a location in Queens, which is where I live. The deal ended up breaking down and the rumors were put to rest for a few years up until CFG became involved. I have been a small handful of Red Bull games in New Jersey. Everytime has been a lot of fun.

Were NYCFC your first taste of live football?
My first professional soccer match was at Red Bull Arena.

Does it feel special to be part of a club from the very beginning, creating memories instead of reliving them?
Of course. It's a unique experience that is unlike anything else. Following the team since it was a concept to actually sitting in Yankee Stadium surrounded by 48,000 fans is something that can never be taken from any of us.

- How did you first hear about NYCFC, and when? What was your initial reaction when you heard of the plans for this specific franchise? My boyfriend and I love soccer, we both used to play in high school and now that we live together is pretty much all we watch during the weekend... We mostly watch Spain and England but we really want it to have a home team for a long time now that we both live in NJ... We decide that NYCFC would be the perfect fit for both of us and we star following the news about NY city having a new team since the beginning.

Never Red Bulls, I used to be Galaxy years back when I used to live in LA and he was DC United when he used to live in MD.

No, We had watch Real Madrid, and Barcelona as well, and many other teams in the past, we had being in many other games.

- Does it feel special to be part of a club from the very beginning, creating memories instead of reliving them
More than Special for me is UNFORGETABLE:D......
On the first game @ YANKEE Stadium he PROPOSED RIGHT AFTER THE GAME END IT!!!!:eek: we had just crossed the street and he went down on his knees, I have it all in a video all fans were walking and singing :)"NYC" "NYC" NYC' It was awesome:p!!!!!!!
He try to contacted you to at least get us on the Big screen but it was impossible =( :(

I had heard of NYCFC when MLS announced it. Being from NJ, it is obviously just a short ride over to Yankee Stadium, and I could never get into the Red Bulls as much as I tried. Realizing for soccer to grow in the US that the the MLS needs to be strong, it just seemed like a natural fit to support NYCFC.
Yup. Was hoping that when the Cosmos were being talked about that they would make it to MLS but hindsight 20/20 am very happy. I only went to Red Bull Arena for one game, the Red Bulls vs the Crew.
No. Internationally, I had watched US-Brazil after the 2010 World Cup at MetLife and I was also present for USA-Turkey at Red Bull Arena. Club, I have watched the Red Bulls and the Crew.

It is different. Most the teams I support (Notre Dame, Yankees, Giants) all have a very storied history full of tradition. NYCFC is an entirely different case, but it is great to know that I will be along for the ride, good or bad.

My wife is from Manchester, England and we are big City fans. We heard of NYCFC when the City group announced it.

Unquestionably yes. It was easy to remain committed to Premier League football without a local MLS team. I do not consider the Red Bulls a local team never went to watch them.

I had been to one Manchester City game prior to our first NYCFC game.

It was such a special feeling being there in Orlando for the first game for both teams. I suspect that over the years, the number of NYCFC supporters claiming to have been at the inaugural season opener will grow exponentially because that is just a special thing to have been a part of.

Reactions: Errata24

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Carlos R.

How did you first hear about NYCFC, and when? What was your initial reaction when you heard of the plans for this specific franchise? Had you previously been awaiting a team based in New York? Did you ever go to Jersey to watch Red Bulls?

I actually live a 30-minute train ride from Red Bull Arena where the NY Red Bulls play. Being a hardcore Gooner (Arsenal fan), I would visit the ground JUST to see Theirry Henry. I cared less about everyone else. When I heard NYCFC was doing a partnership with the NY Yankees, my 2nd favorite sports team (use to be first before I lived in London for 9 years), I thought it was absolutely perfect. I mean, I go to Yankee Stadium about 30 times for a baseball game during the season and love making the trip to The Bronx to watch them play. Now, I get to watch a football club play there, be part of a supporters group, and took on the opportunity to be a founding member for a brand new club I can call mine.

No. My first taste of live football was in my time living in London, for 9 years, and having the great honor of watching Arsenal play at Highbury AND Emirates Stadium. The Premier League, Wenger, Henry & co., and Arsenal Football Club as an organization got me to love the sport of football (I don't call it soccer).

Does it feel special to be part of a club from the very beginning, creating memories instead of reliving them?

I've been a great fan of my legendary NY sports teams, who have great history and legendary status. Now, I can be a part of something new, part of the growing interests of soccer (football) in America, to say that I was there from the start...it's like starting your own family that you can support and cherish.

The first time i heard about NYCFC was when i saw an add on the subway in probably fall of 2013 or spring 2014. It just said New York City Football Club. I had no idea what it was about. Looked it up and it showed that there was going to be a new soccer team here in the city. I was intrigued right away.

I grew up playing soccer, but other than the world cup, i never really watch major league soccer here in the united states.

Had you previously been awaiting a team based in New York? Did you ever go to Jersey to watch Red Bulls?

I wasn't waiting for it, wasn't even thinking about it, and i was never going to go to New Jersey to watch a soccer game. The only other soccer i had scene in NY was the Rough Riders out on long island when i was a kid.

Other than playing the game, and being at college games, yes NYCFC was my first live professional soccer game!

Yes, i'm super excited about the sport now. This has really reignited my passion for soccer. I loved playing and it's convinced me to get back into the game after 6 years of not playing.

As to the actually game day experience I love it. Being the stadium is great and i'm looking forward to the fan experience getting better and better.

Peter D.
I first heard about NYCFC in my sophomore year of college by going on youtube and seeing the MLS youtube account post the press conference. My initial reaction was to hop on board as soon as possible, I was trying to get into the league and the Red Bulls but it just didn't feel right so I figured that if I was going to be a fan why not start from scratch.

I was not so much"waiting" for a New York team but more a team I could call my own. The Red Bulls did not offer me that. There were too many games that I went to where it felt like only the South Ward was invested in the outcome of the match and the rest of the fans went there because "why not".

As I said before I went to a fair amount of Red Bulls games prior to the 2015 season.

It feels incredibly special. One of the biggest reasons why I feel as though this is my club is that I was there from day one. The memories and club history that have been and will be created, good or bad, will be with me right there supporting the team. Not everyone can say they supported their club from day one and it's a very special and lucky group of people that say they can and I am one of them.