The Third Rail Is The Biggest Joke I've Ever Seen

While I think your idea of what away support should be in this country is a little far reaching and, at times, silly, I think they could do a better job of getting people to the away matches. Promotion is almost nonexistent and if you're not looking out for the information it's very hard to miss it. It's one of the reasons I renewed my membership.

Part of it, for me, is that as a group, soccer fans can really show their support in an impressive way, whether it be through chants, tifos, what have you. I throw my financial support behind it because I like that stuff and its unique to the MLS in comparison to the rest of the sports landscape in this country. I hoped for something better than what we got.

Excuse me, it is an error or there is written that you renewed the membership ?

erwin, don't get me wrong, I think the HoO scarves and hats are beautifully designed. If you were selling I would likely buy. My wife loves them too.

My main thought was that there are individuals that make the SG more about themselves and less about supporting the club.

For me, my ideal supporter group would cheer and sing at the games and afterward get together and talk about the game, analyze, breakdown the film and then get ready for next while teaching new ones the ins and outs of tactics so they can enjoy the chess match we see play out before us. I understand where others want more of creating a party atmosphere and others want different from that.

erwin, don't get me wrong, I think the HoO scarves and hats are beautifully designed. If you were selling I would likely buy. My wife loves them too.

My main thought was that there are individuals that make the SG more about themselves and less about supporting the club.

For me, my ideal supporter group would cheer and sing at the games and afterward get together and talk about the game, analyze, breakdown the film and then get ready for next while teaching new ones the ins and outs of tactics so they can enjoy the chess match we see play out before us. I understand where others want more of creating a party atmosphere and others want different from that.
The thing is, this is exactly what we do. I mean, we aren't a bunch of tactical aces, but a large portion of our membership also belongs to a group called Friends of Footy, which is literally what you just described.

The picture you paint of "wanting to create a party atmosphere" is also somewhat misguided. 98% of our membership (BBSC and Goodfellas can also be included in that statement) work F/T jobs and have families. Match Day is "our day off" that we get to spend with close friends watching soccer with the added benefit of beer.

Last edited:
The thing is, this is exactly what we do. I mean, we aren't a bunch of tactical aces, but a large portion of our membership also belongs to a group called Friends of Footy, which is literally what you just described.

The picture you paint of "wanting to create a party atmosphere" is also somewhat misguided. 98% of our membership (BBSC and Goodfellas can also be included in that statement) work F/T jobs and have families. Match Day is "our day off" that we get to spend with close friends watching with the added benefit of beer.

Well said. Our supporters groups are diverse in that sense and that's healthy for the NYCFC soccer culture. What must be understood is that those differences are not exclusive. I love to get drunk at the Dugout and have a nice tactical conversation with Midas at the same time. There are days when I lean more towards one attitude than the other. We are finding a way (places, people , situations) where we can be the kind of supporters who each one wants to be.

I believe that the idea of "unity" as been strongly misrepresented; we should embrace our diversity and support each other, even more when they are not the kind of supporter that we are.

Last edited:
I didn't think things would get worse there but they actually did. I have never seen so much childhood bickering and self entitled assholes in my entire life. It's a real shame that this group represents us as fans, it's disgusting and embarrassing. I hope the whole thing folds on itself quickly to save us the shame.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the Facebook page is an absolute warzone. People kicking each other off the page, board members leaving left and right, people making up memes about other members, no transparency with any financials whatsoever, and just generally children acting like children. Hopefully nobody is stupid enough to give them their hard earned cash in 2016. I'm truly embarrassed to have given them my money twice. What a shame.

How do you join Hearts of Oak again?

wow seriously? who the hell makes memes of people you know. I am not a member, but as a huge fan of this team I deff want the supporters group to kick ass. This is a real shame and hope they get it together. How the third rail behaves is a reflection on all of us.

Reactions: Matches Malone
Excuse me, it is an error or there is written that you renewed the membership ?

Yes, I did renew a couple of months ago after having initially thinking I wasn't going to. I mainly wanted info on away tickets which I did eventually get for the upcoming Red Bull game so that's good in a sense but the group is too misguided for me at this point.

At this pt, I'm riding out the ROS and seeing if the establishment of TR chapters helps right the ship at all. I want to stay in 236-37 going forward, as I love the game day atmosphere there (I am very anti-'family friendly' aka watered down game experience at soccer matches - I will continue to be as such when I have a kid in a month, as I don't give a fuck if my kid is exposed to cursing and all that other good shit at games), and being in TR seems like it will be a prerequisite for staying in those sections as a STH. I also am really glad I made so many friends in those sections who share my sentiments re: game day, as well as through TR FC, our weekly soccer gathering. But I get why others who are members now are leaving, or why others on the outside looking in believe it could be a lost cost at this juncture. The last few weeks have been a PR nightmare.

At this pt, I'm riding out the ROS and seeing if the establishment of TR chapters helps right the ship at all. I want to stay in 236-37 going forward, as I love the game day atmosphere there (I am very anti-'family friendly' aka watered down game experience at soccer matches - I will continue to be as such when I have a kid in a month, as I don't give a fuck if my kid is exposed to cursing and all that other good shit at games), and being in TR seems like it will be a prerequisite for staying in those sections as a STH. I also am really glad I made so many friends in those sections who share my sentiments re: game day, as well as through TR FC, our weekly soccer gathering. But I get why others who are members now are leaving, or why others on the outside looking in believe it could be a lost cost at this juncture. The last few weeks have been a PR nightmare.
More people should expose their kids to non-watered game day atmosphere. Thank you.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I hate to pile on here, but I have always thought the name "Third Rail" is awful. Too clever by half.
There was a vote to pick the name a while ago with maybe five choices. Third Rail was my least favorite, alas. Don't remember the others though.

There was a vote to pick the name a while ago with maybe five choices. Third Rail was my least favorite, alas. Don't remember the others though.
SCNY (Supporters Club NY)
New Amsterdam Army
Blue Army
The Natives
The Warriors

I can't remember if the last two were on the final list.

Reactions: CP_Scouse
I'm still fond of NY Futbol Giants and I don't care that no one but me thinks it's funny. So there. I'm an SG of one.

(Also, I remember none of this shit going on with Barra brava or the screaming Eagles when I was a kid but maybe I was just too young to notice.)

Reactions: mgarbowski