TR does Manchester

Just took another look at options. If you can get get to JFK (and if you can get to LGA...) then there's a £122 flight leaving on the night of the 18th, going to Gatwick, and there's a £181 flight back. Again it would be a train to Manchester but...really that's not a great hardship. I can talk you through making the connection from London to Manchester and you'd be in the north by the time it was starting to get dark for the evening (which is about 4pm here).

https://www.skyscanner.net/transpor...inboundaltsenabled=false&ref=day-view#results

https://www.skyscanner.net/transpor...inboundaltsenabled=false&ref=day-view#results
The convenience of the other option was enough for me to get over the fact that it would be freezing. I'd probably have to pass on everything else. Will keep checking to see if it drops again.

I'm looking at it. In principle there's not much stopping me. The big thing for me is that it takes me a minimum of 3 1/2 hours (depending on connections) to get home from Manchester, and the game is an evening kick-off. There's one train I could catch after the game and it would get me home at half past midnight, not to mention that that train is significantly more expensive than earlier ones. I guess I could hang around and book a hotel; that wouldn't be such a hardship, especially for a Saturday game, but it is a cost I wouldn't normally pay to attend a game.

Last edited:
You all can come and stay at mine's lol free charge, just no Manchester City shirts allowed in the house

Jokes aside if you after advice in where to stay in Manchester, visit and eat etc..... let us know

Reactions: Schwallacus
You all can come and stay at mine's lol free charge, just no Manchester City shirts allowed in the house

Jokes aside if you after advice in where to stay in Manchester, visit and eat etc..... let us know

Sweet! Stephanie, our secretary, coordinated this trip and she got us connected with Motel One Picadilly and Malmaison Manchester. I think most everyone will be staying in one of those two. I will likely do an airbnb.

I definitely need to know where the best Chippy is!

Reactions: shane88
Sweet! Stephanie, our secretary, coordinated this trip and she got us connected with Motel One Picadilly and Malmaison Manchester. I think most everyone will be staying in one of those two. I will likely do an airbnb.

Nice not too far from Piccadilly train station, getting round Manchester is pretty easy itself

Best chippy in Manchester, that's a good question, tbh I've never had a chippy directly in Manchester, chippies tend to be located in towns and villages, however pretty sure their a Harry Ramsden in Manchester Arndale food court

I actually stayed at Motel One earlier this month for a night. Pretty nice for the price and convenient -- good choice. It is right next to the train station, and the ride to Etihad is only about 10-15 minutes. However, the crowding on the train both to and from the match there is just about the worst I've seen in England based on the two times I've been there and makes the standard NYC subway commute look spacious. However, you can actually walk to the stadium in about 30+ minutes and there is a pretty easy path with good signage and lighting. Just a thought for those of you who, like me, like to walk and prefer not to get jammed into a subway car.

Have fun -- should be a very cool trip.

Because it's quite rough on the outskirts of Manchester, for example some areas of Salford is a no go zone, is their any particular places you planning to do besides City Ground

Meh. I'm good anywhere. I appreciate the heads up though.

I actually stayed at Motel One earlier this month for a night. Pretty nice for the price and convenient -- good choice. It is right next to the train station, and the ride to Etihad is only about 10-15 minutes. However, the crowding on the train both to and from the match there is just about the worst I've seen in England based on the two times I've been there and makes the standard NYC subway commute look spacious. However, you can actually walk to the stadium in about 30+ minutes and there is a pretty easy path with good signage and lighting. Just a thought for those of you who, like me, like to walk and prefer not to get jammed into a subway car.

Have fun -- should be a very cool trip.

100% agreed with you, I have to go earlier than usual when I go Old Trafford watching United because the trams are rammed with fans lol It can be walked but more like a hour walk from the centre as it's more in the outskirts than the Etihad Stadium is

Meh. I'm good anywhere. I appreciate the heads up though.
If you smell what the Rox is cooking!

giphy.gif