Twellman Thinks Mls Moving To 4 Dps And 45-50% Cap Increase

MikeDatTiger

Registered
Mar 21, 2014
New Orleans, Louisiana
Interesting tweets from Twellman today. As it says in the title, Twellman thinks MLS moving to 4 DPs and a cap increase. He cautioned that wasn't based on inside info, but based on his observations.

Twellman tends to have a pretty good feeling for stuff, so do y'all think this would be a good move?

He said a lot of owners he talked to off the record said they want an increase

Over the last year or two, TnT (Twellman) has been on point with everything. He has broken just about every major story in MLS/USA first on Twitter and is probably the most in touch with the players and front offices. When he says something, no matter how odd or surprising it sounds, you know it's based on either fact or at least strong knowledge.
I am happy to hear of this increase, I didn't expect so much right away but i'm happy to hear it and hopefully such an increase will convince the players to sign the new CBA early!

I think the biggest impact in that increase would be that it could give the league a better shot at retaining mid-tier MLS players who are solid starters but go to lower euro leagues because many 150-300k players kind of get squeezed out the league. Not as bad as it was several years ago when the league was losing too many players to Scandinavian leagues to get paid 300k.

We thought it was honky dory last time and they threatened to strike the week before season started.

But Twellman is usually well informed. Should be fun.

Increase covers another DP hit plus 4 solid players. I love it.

Still think we will see the introduction of an American DP slot. Hopefully more international slots as we'll

It's going to be a big step up because the players know the money is coming in and they have the owners dead-to-rights.

Then on top of that there are several owners who want a big bump in the salary cap, too.

That is awesome news if true, and I think Twellman gets secret radio transmissions in his head since his bump,. bc he is usually right. Next step for our league is to be able to compete financially for the mid level types that end up in MX or lower Euro leagues.

Reactions: Kjbert
One MLS near term goal should be to monopolize the Mexican talent that usually ends up in Liga MX. That only comes with higher salary cap, more international players (maybe change the rule to CONCACAF players?) and expanding the fan bases.

North America vs domestics? I think unfortunately US talent would decrease in the league if allowed. Players Union won't go for that.

I like different kinds of DPs though.

We need the top Mexican players to want to play here. It's important for gate revenue, sponsorship, merchandise sales and TV viewership.

35% of American viewers of the World Cup watched on Univision. Untapped market for MLS

Maybe a North America DP slot and raise the cap. That would encourage MLS clubs to sign US , Canucks, Mexican etc.

Interesting tweets from Twellman today. As it says in the title, Twellman thinks MLS moving to 4 DPs and a cap increase. He cautioned that wasn't based on inside info, but based on his observations.

Twellman tends to have a pretty good feeling for stuff, so do y'all think this would be a good move?
It is definitely a step in the right direction but, what is needed in order to make this a top tier league, is to remove the salary cap.

It is definitely a step in the right direction but, what is needed in order to make this a top tier league, is to remove the salary cap.
Your probably new to MLS, like many posters here. MLS is not that many of years removed from almost going out of business if not for the charity of a few billionaires.

I'm not ready to be back into that dark place. Lets do it slowly. A 40-50% increase is a big jump. Lets be happy with that if it happens.

Yes, once we have a multi-billion dollar national TV deal and big local tv deals, as well as shirt sponsors shelling our significant money, then let's talk about removing the cap. Until then, we need to responsibly increase the cap at the right pace. Not too fast to bankrupt the league, but not too slow that we can't move towards those major deals.
As fast as things have improved for MLS over the last few years, we still have a long way to go. Let's not forget that it was not too long ago when the league was ready to fold, but two guys with a ton of money and vision carried the league on it's back for several years until things leveled out.

Reactions: Gene and MagnusPax