Usl-pro Applies For D2 Status.

franchise646

Registered
Oct 31, 2014
I think this is great because USL-pro is more interested in working with MLS than NASL who want to be D1.

http://www.recklesschallenge.net/usl-pro-to-apply-for-division-2-status-with-ussf/

USL PRO to Apply for Division 2 Status with USSF
United Soccer Leagues (USL) just concluded their Annual General Meetings in Clearwater Beach, FL this week. Usually, the biggest news to come out of the AGM is the general format of the schedules. Well, Reckless Challenge has learned those details, but that news will be delayed in favor of news that could change the landscape of soccer in America. Multiple sources have confirmed that USL PRO plans to submit an application to USSF for Division 2 status in 2017.
It’s long been speculated that USL PRO would try to achieve D2 status in the future. The nascent partnership with MLS made it seem inevitable. Reports coming out the USL AGM now make it a certainty.
What is less certain is whether or not the league will meet the requirements to make the leap from D3 to D2. The current rules governing division recognition were rewritten this year. A presentation at the USL AGM demonstrated that the league could satisfy about 85% of the current requirements with the clubs, ownership groups, and facilities in place today. One of the shortfalls that USL PRO would have to overcome is the net-worth of a few ownership groups.
Reckless Challenge, however, has also learned that the criteria for being sanctioned are likely to change by 2017. It remains to be seen whether the changes will enhance or diminish the chances of USL PRO to be officially recognized as a D2 professional league.
This news has big implications for the future of soccer in the United States. Specifically, what does this mean for NASL, the league that has already achieved D2 status? Could this foreshadow the beginning of an actual pyramid in the US?
This initial news is likely to generate mountains of questions from soccer fans across the country. Certainly, more details about USL PRO’s plans will surface in weeks to come. Reckless Challenge will do everything possible to bring you those answers, along with our viewpoint.

Reactions: Kjbert
If they become d2, will relegation be a plausible concept?
No it's more likely that they will have player movement between d1 and d2 like they have in baseball. Promote or demote a player. BTW world-style Pro/rel won't work in the us.

Most of the USL Pro teams are located either in or nearby the cities of the parent clubs. While there are a few that could stand alone (like Louisville FC) a relegation system requires clubs that are independent with their own driving fan base. Most of these clubs are going to get fans that either love the parent club or are happy there's some soccer a short distance from their house that they can take the kids to for cheap. The NASL teams form a more likely basis for a relegation system, although as we've discussed elsewhere I think there needs to be a lot more growth at all levels of soccer before relegation becomes even plausible in the US.

As the article says, what does this mean for NASL?

Traditional pro/rel will never work with a single-entity MLS. That said, the only way I could see pro/rel work is if MLS expands to 30-40 teams and then MLS could split into MLS division 1 and MLS division 2 and have pro/rel within MLS (division 1 would get the lion share of TV / sponsorship deals, etc).

As the article says, what does this mean for NASL?

Traditional pro/rel will never work with a single-entity MLS. That said, the only way I could see pro/rel work is if MLS expands to 30-40 teams and then MLS could split into MLS division 1 and MLS division 2 and have pro/rel within MLS (division 1 would get the lion share of TV / sponsorship deals, etc).
In the words of the soccer don: "Never is a long time but I don't see it in my life time."

And the guy that would take the job form him said Never.

can you have 2 D2 leagues operating at the same time? I guess the one that survives / flourishes would be the one with the best relationship with the D1 league (MLS)?

can you have 2 D2 leagues operating at the same time? I guess the one that survives / flourishes would be the one with the best relationship with the D1 league (MLS)?
Why I think the one with a relationship with MLS and Becomes more like a AAA league so they get MLS soon to be or players trying to get in the league.

As I said (a long time ago) before on the subject of pro/rel, I think US football would be best served by having USL Pro and NASL come to a co-operation agreement, and get promotion and relegation between those two competitions. Introduce the concept of pro/rel to the US public at large in a place where the money disparity is far less obvious and financial interests will not make it so controversial.

Anyone know the reaction from NASL? I mean this can be a blow to them, there may not pr/rel but a close partnership for Usl pro with MLS maybe can help enhance it's infrastructure and beat out NASL for D2 status

If some of USL Pro becomes D2 and some stay back in a USL Pro2 league, its possible there could be pro/rel between the two. But you will never see true pro/rel between MLS, NASL or USL Pro. Unless you are a NASL or USL owner with a $100 million check. ;)

As a bit of a side note mlssoccer.com is reporting the Houston Dynamo just signed an affiliate agreement with Charleston Battery. Wonder if this means they'll be NYCFC2?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ional-environment-provided-new-usl-pro-affili
Not for 2015 there won't. They are already getting ready for the schedule to come out. The Dayton team backed out which allowed the Red Bulls to join late, but I don't see that happening anywhere else, especially in the Eastern conference of the USL which NYCFC2 would be in.

Now the list is limited to:
  • Wilmington Hammerheads
  • Pittsburgh Riverhounds
  • St Louis FC
  • Colorado Springs
  • Arizona United
  • OC Blues
  • Tulsa Roughnecks
Of these, rumor is that Dallas will get Arizona and Chicago will get St Louis. Wilmington is the most stable and Pittsburgh is the closest. Those 2 might have the best chance. Maybe.

Pittsburgh would be interesting. I somewhat followed the Riverhounds when I was posting on a site that was dedicated to the lower divisions. They have a nice little stadium along the banks of one of the rivers there in Pittsburgh.