#VieriaOut or #VieriaIn

I'd prefer that Lewis get more run. That is valid criticism, perhaps the most valid. However, on balance that frustration is outweighed by all that he does well and the improvement and play of the team over the past two years.
Vieira wins the easy games... except when we lost the easy games this year. He’s got a team of players, save for Villa, that don’t have a ruthless instinct - it’s the culture of the clubhouse. If Toronto had as many opportunities off of turnovers that we had tonight, they’d have been up 6-0 before the red card. Our team doesn’t have the mindset to punish the opponent whether that’s because they’re tentative to shoot or always look to pass to Villa, but something is fundamentally wrong considering they don’t get up for the big matches, and they’ve been in a downward spiral for weeks. It’d also help if Lewis played, since he’s our most dangerous offensive sub, but Vieira is crazily against it.

I decided to search up Moralez highlights for whatever reason and it seemed like he had the balls to shoot for Leon. Seeing a confidence issue like this in more than one player isn't a good look for Vieira. Again I don't think he should but he needs to know that he's on the hotseat.

I think he's saying that Girardi being fired was a terrible idea therefore it shouldn't be compared to our situation with Vieira.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

I'm saying sometimes managers wear out their welcome. Sometimes the locker room goes deaf. Sometimes they get complacent. Sometimes it's just time to move on.

Soccer is a trigger happy sport. May be time to move on especially if we're going to turn over 1/2 the locker room as has been rumored

They've had 3 managers in the last 25 years and have an amazingly successful record in that time. This is kind of off-point but what is your point?

My frame of reference for the Yankees is admittedly dated. I am of the Billy, Lou, Yogi, Billy, Lou generation. I'll avoid baseball in comments (like I do in real life).

That aside, firing a coach or manager that has improved the team each year he has been in charge is still shortsighted regardless of sport. Vieira has issues, still, but he improved this year and I cannot understand anyone wishing to have him fired. Do we really want to experiment with a manager that might not have a rapport with Villa in El Guaje's last year?

This seems crazy to me. I get that many fan bases have a knee jerk reaction to wanting to fire their coach when things go wrong. It's so short sighted. A 4 year club on their 3rd coach? Yeah, that looks bad.

PV has done a great job as a coach in MLS.
Finishes of 4th and then 2nd overall. That's not to say that he is without fault. There are things that he does and decisions made that make no sense to me. But no coach is perfect. Name me a coach that fans think get the subs 100% right all the time. Who are you getting that will be better? A new coach is likely to implement a new strategy. Which means current players who may or may not fit that strategy.

Remember that PV not only has the respect of the DPs, but he is also someone who players want to come play for. Didn't Ring say something about wanting to come play for Vieira? Does Herrera come to NYC if Vieira isn't the coach?

And yes, Vieira has had some issues in the playoffs and Open Cup games. I still think it is a small sample size to now say he is terrible in the playoffs, but whatever. He made a bad decision last year in going against our normal play style and trying to play defensively. He outsmarted himself and took a lot of deserved flak. So this year he makes sure we remain attack minded and aggressive. It's not his fault so many good players decided to play their worst game for us. Are we also blaming him for Callens elbow that fucked everything up?

My frame of reference for the Yankees is admittedly dated. I am of the Billy, Lou, Yogi, Billy, Lou generation. I'll avoid baseball in comments (like I do in real life).

That aside, firing a coach or manager that has improved the team each year he has been in charge is still shortsighted regardless of sport. Vieira has issues, still, but he improved this year and I cannot understand anyone wishing to have him fired. Do we really want to experiment with a manager that might not have a rapport with Villa in El Guaje's last year?
What good is finishing 2nd while limping into the playoffs and flaming out first match? I’d rather finish 6th and make a deep run into the playoffs and have a shot at winning it. As of yet, Vieira has only proven that he gets outcoached every single Cup match we play, so if we don’t finish 1st in the standing for the Shield, we won’t ever have a real shot at any glory.

Reactions: Kjbert
What good is finishing 2nd while limping into the playoffs and flaming out first match? I’d rather finish 6th and make a deep run into the playoffs and have a shot at winning it.

What about finishing 2nd and making a deep run instead of finishing 6th and limping into the playoffs?

Finishing as a 1 or 2 seed will always be better that playing in the knockout rounds, exclusive of form. Not sure how achieving the bye the past two years can be considered a problem.

What about finishing 2nd and making a deep run instead of finishing 6th and limping into the playoffs?

Finishing as a 1 or 2 seed will always be better that playing in the knockout rounds, exclusive of form. Not sure how achieving the bye the past two years can be considered a problem.
We can’t seem to do either so the question is moot.

I'm fine with Vieira. He's a good manager with flaws. Every manager in every sport has flaws. Playoff struggles notwithstanding, you don't fire the manager of the team that finishes second in the entire league.

What good is finishing 2nd while limping into the playoffs and flaming out first match? I’d rather finish 6th and make a deep run into the playoffs and have a shot at winning it. As of yet, Vieira has only proven that he gets outcoached every single Cup match we play, so if we don’t finish 1st in the standing for the Shield, we won’t ever have a real shot at any glory.

This team's cold streak has nothing to do with Vieira, and everything to do with half the lineup getting injured and not getting its form back in time. They peaked too early, and that's not PV's fault.

This team's cold streak has nothing to do with Vieira.
Not sure I agree.

I don't want PV gone, but I think he clearly played a big role in our drop of form going into the playoffs. Everyone around MLS will tell you how important it is to be hot going in, and how bad it is to go in cold. We all saw his shitty sub choices over the last few months, etc., but I think his comments conceding the shield back in August had a palpable impact on the team. You can't "manufacture" good form, but you can definitely affect it negatively if you plant doubt into the players' heads.

Not saying this is the sole reason for our late season collapse and inevitable playoff train wreck, but it certainly pissed me off.

upload_2017-11-1_7-15-32.png

Last edited:
Not sure I agree.

I don't want PV gone, but I think he clearly played a big role in our drop of form going into the playoffs. Everyone around MLS will tell you how important it is to be hot going in, and how bad it is to go in cold. We all saw his shitty sub choices over the last few months, etc., but I think his comments conceding the shield back in August had a palpable impact on the team. You can't "manufacture" good form, but you can definitely affect it negatively if you plant doubt into the players' heads.

Not saying this is the sole reason for our late season collapse and inevitable playoff train wreck, but it certainly pissed me off.

View attachment 7711

Agreed, Vieria should comeback next year but he has played a factor in our recent form. His subs also has never helped his situation.

Okoli hasn’t made the bench in like our last 5 games but yesterday for some reason while down 3-1 (which was a perfect result given the circumstances) he wants to throw Okoli out there when we should have just defended the 3-1 lead

How about #reynaout?

Maxi as a DP that can't be bought down is a problem. Doing nothing in the summer window work Chanot injured was a problem. Drafting Khiry with the 2nd pick was a problem.

Yes, Ring & Chanot we're good finds, but it feels like the bad outweighs the good.

We tend to talk about these things in absolute terms rather than relative ones. I'd be uncomfortable saying #VieiraOut without knowing who is incoming.

Should we be looking at alternatives with increased urgency after this season? I'd say yes.

But there's a huge risk of throwing out a lot of positives (style of play, squad harmony, player respect, other things mentioned in this thread) to attain a few qualities that I think Paddy can still learn and adjust for as a young manager (ruthlessness, in-game strategy, favoring ability over obedience or getting obedience out of high-ability players).

Having said that, I don't think our lack of form is just the effect of the international break. They've had time to get clicking again. Something else seems to have gone sour. I have no idea what it might be. Lack of home games could be a factor.

Last edited:
How about #reynaout?

Maxi as a DP that can't be bought down is a problem. Doing nothing in the summer window work Chanot injured was a problem. Drafting Khiry with the 2nd pick was a problem.

Yes, Ring & Chanot we're good finds, but it feels like the bad outweighs the good.

Ring, Chanot, SJ, Callens and Herrera are very good finds. At the very least. That's why I said elsewhere that it was sad and paradoxical that 2 of our most solid A players during the season shat the bed last night. The team is vastly improved from last year's team and managed to finish 2nd again, but also 2nd in SS race in a league that improved a lot as a whole. Did you take a look at our lineup for the 1st leg at BMC stadium in Toronto last year? That was atrocious, but it was a standard lineup for us. We've been clearly better year after year. Let's hope we get a really good 3rd DP and we'll contend again.

Ring, Chanot, SJ, Callens and Herrera are very good finds. At the very least. That's why I said elsewhere that it was sad and paradoxical that 2 of our most solid A players during the season shat the bed last night. The team is vastly improved from last year's team and managed to finish 2nd again, but also 2nd in SS race in a league that improved a lot as a whole. Did you take a look at our lineup for the 1st leg at BMC stadium in Toronto last year? That was atrocious, but it was a standard lineup for us. We've been clearly better year after year. Let's hope we get a really good 3rd DP and we'll contend again.

He gets zero credit for Herrera, who by the way, had not actually played all that well for us during the swoon.

Reactions: canchon
the team is better than last year no doubt....but from i read ( didnt see game i was in class) the mentality was not there. one would think that PV had to hype them up mentally to go in and do what is needed to get a result. the players didnt and did real bad.....did PV not do what he had to do pregame ?

he seems to be alright but he still makes mistakes in subs ( or lack thereof) and starting XI ....that and the fact the he really shits the bed in terms of strategy in playoffs...like he still needs to develop that. these are do or die games. part of that i think is this is his first team job and his second year doing this.

do i want him gone right now? not really but i was hoping for improvement especially since this team this year is better. if we let him go there has to be someone ready to go like after our last game so they can watch tape etc get to know how good or bad some players are.

Not sure I agree.

View attachment 7711

didnt that coincide with all the injuries?

Reactions: Christopher Jee