#VieriaOut or #VieriaIn

Shouldn't it be a #Reynaout discussion long before it's a #Vieraout discussion?
Reyna has a get out of jail card labeled Gio.

If Gio doesn’t sign a HG contract in the next 6 months, we can start the question in earnest, or skip it and simply go with #ReynaOut. He admitted at a MasterCard event that Gio is asking “what about him” as he sees his friends sign. A lack there of any time soon means he’s never going to and is planning to go overseas. Once that happens, I’m not sure Reyna has done enough to warrant sticking around, and so cue up the thread.

If Gio doesn’t sign a HG contract in the next 6 months, we can start the question in earnest, or skip it and simply go with #ReynaOut. He admitted at a MasterCard event that Gio is asking “what about him” as he sees his friends sign. A lack there of any time soon means he’s never going to and is planning to go overseas. Once that happens, I’m not sure Reyna has done enough to warrant sticking around, and so cue up the thread.

I don't see Gio signing a HG contract in 2018. He's still too young.

Reactions: Kjbert
I don't see Gio signing a HG contract in 2018. He's still too young.
If he doesn’t sign this year, then he’s not ever signing a HG contract..... Unless Claudio knows insider League Cap info about increasing HG money, because if the amount goes up (not saying it is, just spitballing) then Claudio may figure the difference in signing in 2018 vs 2019 could be the difference in 100k or more (again, just spitballing).

Considering the age when truly elite players break into their clubs’ 1st team roster, Gio is ready in 2018. And we’re talking about the quality of teammates on an MLS roster he has to compete with, not an EPL or LaLiga, or Bundesliga team.

I think the front office needs to be looked at more than Viera.

I think the front office needs to be looked at more than Viera.
giphy.gif

I don’t see why we’re looking at him as a 10 only. He’s our 10 because I think he’s our best option as a 10. As a player I think he’s easily in the top half as far as DPs are concerned. It’s not his fault that’s the role he’s being forced to play. Agree to disagree I guess.

He's our 10 because they sought out a 10 and signed him as a 10. This is Gospel. Vieira and Reyna are both on the record on this topic. They chose him specifically as a 10

Reactions: JGarrettLieb
If he doesn’t sign this year, then he’s not ever signing a HG contract..... Unless Claudio knows insider League Cap info about increasing HG money, because if the amount goes up (not saying it is, just spitballing) then Claudio may figure the difference in signing in 2018 vs 2019 could be the difference in 100k or more (again, just spitballing).

Considering the age when truly elite players break into their clubs’ 1st team roster, Gio is ready in 2018. And we’re talking about the quality of teammates on an MLS roster he has to compete with, not an EPL or LaLiga, or Bundesliga team.

He turns 15 in November. Let me repeat that again: 15. So you think he'll sign a first team contract a full year younger than James Sands? And mind you, James Sands signed close to when he was 17.

He'll be 16 in November 2018. He signs for the 2019 season.

Is there any other business in the world that would justify employing a general manager on the grounds that they're related to a 15 year old kid who could conceivably, several years from now, contribute in a meaningful way to the business?

The scenario you're describing is absolute fucking lunacy. A complete fantasy.

Reactions: gbservis and Kjbert
Is there any other business in the world that would justify employing a general manager on the grounds that they're related to a 15 year old kid who could conceivably, several years from now, contribute in a meaningful way to the business?

The scenario you're describing is absolute fucking lunacy. A complete fantasy.
I typically ignore you because your comments arent worth responding to in any way shape or form. But I’ll take a flier on this one because you’re so ripe. Go research college football and basketball and the connection teams have to family members joining the staff of programs prior to their kids signing. The world of soccer business makes college football/basketball look like child’s play.

Reactions: Fake Jew
I typically ignore you because your comments arent worth responding to in any way shape or form. But I’ll take a flier on this one because you’re so ripe. Go research college football and basketball and the connection teams have to family members joining the staff of programs prior to their kids signing. The world of soccer business makes college football/basketball look like child’s play.

So salty! Anyway, I don't have the time or the energy to research the intricacies of two totally unrelated sporting structures - if you've got any relevant examples then I'm intrigued to hear them. But can't help but feel that if we're betting the future of the team on one 15 year-old kid then we're more fucked than I thought.

Are there many teams that have achieved sustained success because the team's top executive happened to be the dad of an academy prospect? That doesn't really seem like the CFG way to me. Or maybe they decided to do things your way?

He turns 15 in November. Let me repeat that again: 15. So you think he'll sign a first team contract a full year younger than James Sands? And mind you, James Sands signed close to when he was 17.

He'll be 16 in November 2018. He signs for the 2019 season.
SKC signed Busio at 15y 89d. If Reyna turns 15 in November, he’d be older than Busio at the start of the season in March.

Comparing him to Sands isn’t applicable for a number of reasons, but two important ones are that Sands wanted to finish his school year in Florida first before signing, and his position as a CB does need more physical development than Gio’s. I’ll toss in a third reason that’s more opinion, but sticking with his U-17 teammates the year of the Cup was more important to chemistry than playing with NYCFC and joining semi-regularly during camps.

So salty! Anyway, I don't have the time or the energy to research the intricacies of two totally unrelated sporting structures - if you've got any relevant examples then I'm intrigued to hear them. But can't help but feel that if we're betting the future of the team on one 15 year-old kid then we're more fucked than I thought.

Are there many teams that have achieved sustained success because the team's top executive happened to be the dad of an academy prospect? That doesn't really seem like the CFG way to me. Or maybe they decided to do things your way?
You asked for examples of business types and I gave them to you. Do your own research or quit trolling.

You asked for examples of business types and I gave them to you. Do your own research or quit trolling.

I can give you plenty of examples of local corner stores where it's imperative that the general manager's son is potentially the business' best employee five years from now, but I don't see how it relates to NYCFC/CFG's strategy. You're in dreamland until I hear otherwise.

I don’t see why we’re looking at him as a 10 only. He’s our 10 because I think he’s our best option as a 10. As a player I think he’s easily in the top half as far as DPs are concerned. It’s not his fault that’s the role he’s being forced to play. Agree to disagree I guess.
If you’re right you’re still wrong. Because a DP who might be great in a different role than the one he was signed to play — but is not great in the role he is playing — is a bad DP signing. He’s not playing 10 because our first 10 got hurt and he’s doing whatever it takes. He’s playing 10 because we had no 10 and chose to put him there. And unless they lied to him he signed up for that.
“In theory, he’d be great if he played a different position and we should judge him on the hypothetical, not reality.”

SKC signed Busio at 15y 89d. If Reyna turns 15 in November, he’d be older than Busio at the start of the season in March.

Comparing him to Sands isn’t applicable for a number of reasons, but two important ones are that Sands wanted to finish his school year in Florida first before signing, and his position as a CB does need more physical development than Gio’s. I’ll toss in a third reason that’s more opinion, but sticking with his U-17 teammates the year of the Cup was more important to chemistry than playing with NYCFC and joining semi-regularly during camps.
SKC has a USL team that they can play a kid like that and they also had to appease a fanbase that was salty after losing EPB for nothing. If Gio doesn't have a shot at regular playing time, I don't really think it makes sporting sense to sign him. I think we are definitely calling up Gio for the preseason and taking it from there.

If you’re right you’re still wrong. Because a DP who might be great in a different role than the one he was signed to play — but is not great in the role he is playing — is a bad DP signing. He’s not playing 10 because our first 10 got hurt and he’s doing whatever it takes. He’s playing 10 because we had no 10 and chose to put him there. And unless they lied to him he signed up for that.
“In theory, he’d be great if he played a different position and we should judge him on the hypothetical, not reality.”
I guess that line of thinking working if you would like to assess blame. If you want to assess the value a player and their future place on the team, you would 100% consider whether they have an increased value at another position.

Well, I guess he could be an 8 if we had anyone who could come inside and create. But I don’t love it.

ETA: and I agree with mgarbowski mgarbowski on this one. And I also think it makes him not a great DP signing.

We’re still playing little Dutch boy around here. Someone somewhere in that organization needs to have a coherent plan and start implementing it.

It should not include paying too much (or rather using valuable cap exemption tools) for people who don’t produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fake Jew