Week 3 Matchday Thread

image.jpg

San Joses tifo from today's game

Reactions: SFphoto
I've been watching MLS for several years now and that had to be one of the worst weeks I can remember.

Next week has to be better.

Saturday is what happens when you put Seattle, Columbus, Toronto, and RSL all on bye. A lot of ugly soccer.

There's a few teams now that clearly have little to no interest in scoring goals. We had Colorado, who seemed to get chances despite themselves, but Houston went to LA playing a 4-6-0. Revs & Montreal have nothing going forward either.

That's a recipe for a bunch of ugly games until the offenses get in sync enough to be able to punish those strategies.

Saturday is what happens when you put Seattle, Columbus, Toronto, and RSL all on bye. A lot of ugly soccer.

There's a few teams now that clearly have little to no interest in scoring goals. We had Colorado, who seemed to get chances despite themselves, but Houston went to LA playing a 4-6-0. Revs & Montreal have nothing going forward either.

That's a recipe for a bunch of ugly games until the offenses get in sync enough to be able to punish those strategies.
I missed the segment but briefly caught Taylor Twellman talking with somebody about how there are a lot of teams, like you were saying, setting up for the draw- basically setting up to not score and not win.

I missed the segment but briefly caught Taylor Twellman talking with somebody about how there are a lot of teams, like you were saying, setting up for the draw- basically setting up to not score and not win.

Twellman said it had a lot to do with the playoffs. I don't agree with that. I do think there are a number of very bad teams that are trying to h0ld onto contention. Houston is trying to stay in the race until Cubo Torres arrives. Colorado just signed a DP striker they'll need to get in. Revs want to get Jones back and Nguyen fully healthy. Its not a problem unique to MLS; lots of teams in every league play for draws. Sometimes that leads to what we saw on Saturday, especially early in the season

Reactions: NYCFCFan10
Twellman said it had a lot to do with the playoffs. I don't agree with that. I do think there are a number of very bad teams that are trying to h0ld onto contention. Houston is trying to stay in the race until Cubo Torres arrives. Colorado just signed a DP striker they'll need to get in. Revs want to get Jones back and Nguyen fully healthy. Its not a problem unique to MLS; lots of teams in every league play for draws. Sometimes that leads to what we saw on Saturday, especially early in the season
Anyone watch that goal fest in West Ham this Saturday? Ugh.

Yeah, I don't buy the expanded playoffs are to blame.

If anything, I think expanded playoffs mean more games matter because more teams are going to be in the playoff hunt for longer.

I suspect the top 3 will be battling it out for a CCL spot and a bye week in the playoffs and the bottom 3 will be fighting to hang onto their playoff positions.