What Gear To Wear Come Game Day

I obviously have less experience in English culture, but I do know for a fact that members of the 1882 movement/supporter group of Tottenham look down on even wearing the shirt. I assumed that was representative of all other clubs, although I know the gooners tend to wear the shirt more than Spurs fans.

I'll be honest - I've never even heard of the 1882 group. I'm pretty sure they're relatively rare in their dislike of shirt-wearing in footballing culture, though. At a guess, since 1882 was founded to improve the atmosphere, their no-kits choice was most likely made to try to distance themselves from the fans who they consider "not committed enough", just turning up and wearing a shirt and thinking they're doing it right - in the same way that attending a football game here with a camera round your neck immediately denotes you as a day-tripper and not a season ticket holder. But that's a guess.

At any rate, most fans here would consider the wearing of colours to be fairly important at least for aesthetic value, so that those watching on TV and in the away fans' section see you as a block of your team's colour.

However, if you guys want to follow a casual style then go for it. Part of the interest of this club, after all, is seeing it work out its own identity from bottom up. You have to do what you feel is right.

Reactions: Scott McCarthy
I'll be honest - I've never even heard of the 1882 group. I'm pretty sure they're relatively rare in their dislike of shirt-wearing in footballing culture, though. At a guess, since 1882 was founded to improve the atmosphere, their no-kits choice was most likely made to try to distance themselves from the fans who they consider "not committed enough", just turning up and wearing a shirt and thinking they're doing it right - in the same way that attending a football game here with a camera round your neck immediately denotes you as a day-tripper and not a season ticket holder. But that's a guess.

At any rate, most fans here would consider the wearing of colours to be fairly important at least for aesthetic value, so that those watching on TV and in the away fans' section see you as a block of your team's colour.

However, if you guys want to follow a casual style then go for it. Part of the interest of this club, after all, is seeing it work out its own identity from bottom up. You have to do what you feel is right.

agreed, this is the ground floor of something that can be very special and it will go however it goes, but it will be a fun ride. it is commonplace across all sports here in the states for fans to wear Jersey's, shirts and hats to the games.

One thing that would kind of be funny or interesting, would be if the fans decided to pull off something where everyone dressed like it was the 1950's and everyone was in suit jackets. like when you see those old black and white photos from baseball games. That look would certainly get noticed. Say a Navy Blue Jacket, Light Blue shirt and an Orange tie. That would get noticed and gain some attention. lol

I am all for wearing the colors. I was just being sarcastic about how we have to be "European" and should copy whatever they do.

British fans mostly look down on fans who go dressed in "replica kits" as they call it. They generally don't wear much team colors, bar a scarf or a pin.

And since we are going for a British atmosphere, we must do the same. (sarcasm)
not entirely true.....
images

As much as I hate Liverpool, Anfield on matchday is a sea of red, mostly kits.

Reactions: NYCBlue
I will be rocking' the home jersey every game, but I won't be with you folks in the SS section.

One thing I really love that ads to stadium atmosphere is color coordination.
I don't see this catching on with the whole stadium from the get-go but it's definitely something the supporters section SHOULD do.
Let's say make it mandatory for all MEMBERS of the Third Rail to dress in Blue, whether a jersey or shirt, as long as it's NYCFC sky blue.
Then coordinate the scarfs to be the darker shade so they stick out.
Take manchester United (don't mean to offend) but every time i watch them play everyone wears black and trench coats and jackets and you can barely spot a jersey.
They're known for their use of black...:D:D:D

Vito I think that's an awesome idea, if anyone here is a baseball fan the Mets have a fan group called The 7 Line Army, an when they all have there big outings they either wear blue or orange. So I think color coordination would be a great idea.
I wouldn't mind switching it up every home game. Like one week wear sky blue, then the next orange, and then navy
n

Reactions: Vito
Vito I think that's an awesome idea, if anyone here is a baseball fan the Mets have a fan group called The 7 Line Army, an when they all have there big outings they either wear blue or orange. So I think color coordination would be a great idea.

n

Actually I am part of The 7 Line Army. Darren at The7Line makes those shirts which we get when we buy the ticket shirt package. Different one for each game. Running out of room in my closet with all of them.

Actually I am part of The 7 Line Army. Darren at The7Line makes those shirts which we get when we buy the ticket shirt package. Different one for each game. Running out of room in my closet with all of them.
That's awesome assuming you're a Mets fan that's even cooler, but that would be awesome to do with NYCFC. Would love to go to a 7 Line Army Outing.