Will NYCFC become independent from Man City?

If you'll indulge me for a minute, I think there are interesting aspects to this discussion once you spool it out past the immediate Man City/CFG context.

What does "independence" for this (or any) club look like? Is it simply an arrangement that keeps player assets at all CFG branches separate? Or, is it complete divestment from the entire CFG superstructure? Would true independence be some sort of fan-owned model?

The danger of wanting out from under the CFG umbrella is that, ok, you have a buyer -- but now you are beholden to them. You've just exchanged CFG (and all it's baggage) for Andrew Hauptman, or Jay Sugarman, (and all their baggage). Is that really what you want you're club to look like instead? Granted, it's an extreme example. But I think it's also worth noting as an inherent risk in trading out.

Talk of a fan-owned club in MLS is pretty much a complete non-starter with the current ownership model, not to mention actually getting past the Board of Governors. But maybe there is something to be said of Seattle's pesudo-soci model. I really don't know enough about the logistics of it in Seattle, or how it works for them, but what rough idea I do have of it sounds intriguing. Allowing fans some sort of voting presence in club affairs well above what exists with City Voice, with an annual council/summit/meeting/whathaveyou, might allow fans to really feel like this club is theirs. On the other hand, some might say that it would present the opportunity for the FO to corrupt supporter culture by getting into bed a select, privileged subset of fans.

And maybe that's what's at the heart of supporter culture? Taking something ubiquitous, and making it both intensely personal and yet still communal at the same time? I think this is a different conversation altogether.

In the end, most of this is just farting in the wind, because the practical realities on the ground make it highly unlikely that a change in the status quo (at a structural level) will happen. And even if it were to happen, one would have to think that, given the relative recentness of all the expenditures involved in this venture, it would not be for some considerable amount of time. Still, I think it's important (and useful) exercise to really think about what you want your club to look like at all levels, not just on the field.

But maybe there is something to be said of Seattle's pseudo-soci model. I really don't know enough about the logistics of it in Seattle, or how it works for them, but what rough idea I do have of it sounds intriguing. Allowing fans some sort of voting presence in club affairs well above what exists with City Voice, with an annual council/summit/meeting/whathaveyou, might allow fans to really feel like this club is theirs.

This article (http://630thefan.com/seattle-sounders-fc-announce-fan-owned-second-team/) says the Seattle Sounder's USL PRO team, Sounders SC 2 is "fan owned", meaning a Sounders Community Trust has a "20% equity share" of the club. So I guess it gives the fans as a whole a say into how the club is run.

I wonder why so many of you guys just find it okay that they are the owners. like no offence to Man City fans but, I would like to see just a normal club led by the fans... I mean the direction asking for a name for the 12th man.. LIKE SERIOUSLY

Reactions: NYCFC_JD
I wonder why so many of you guys just find it okay that they are the owners. like no offence to Man City fans but, I would like to see just a normal club led by the fans... I mean the direction asking for a name for the 12th man.. LIKE SERIOUSLY

A normal club like...who exactly? LA Galaxy owned by AEG? Or Portland owned by Peregrine Sports, LLC (headed by Merritt Paulson)? Or the investment-group-formerly-known-as-OnGoal? None of these are "led by the fans."

Do you really mean some sort of Green Bay Packers scenario?

A normal club like...who exactly? LA Galaxy owned by AEG? Or Portland owned by Peregrine Sports, LLC (headed by Merritt Paulson)? Or the investment-group-formerly-known-as-OnGoal? None of these are "led by the fans."

Do you really mean some sort of Green Bay Packers scenario?
Yeah, I'm confused, too. Are you specifically anti-CFG? Or generally against ownership by any type of entity other than supporters trusts? If it's the latter, I agree with the post way above that the way MLS is currently structured it's exceedingly unlikely that a supporters trust could 100% own any team in the league.

Also, I'm not sure if *you* understand that NYCFC isn't owned *by* Manchester City, but rather that 80% of NYCFC is owned by the same holding company that owns Manchester City FC, City Football Group. The other 20% is owned by the New York Yankees ownership group.

What team in the American sports landscape is led by fans? The only team that I can think of that comes remotely close is the Green Bay Packers. All other teams are owned by one person or a group similar in structure to CFG. I have no problems with CFG unless they start treating us like a farm system for Man City, which I doubt they will do. I think it's actually good to have an experienced group of individuals helping us build a team with a solid infrastructure in place. It's not easy to start an expansion team, especially in a city like NYC. Without CFG, I don't think we would have the money to sign the big name DPs that we have on roster now. It could be debated if signing Villa, Pirlo and Lampard was the best idea, but I think intentions were good. We 100% wouldn't have been able to get PV as a coach.

What team in the American sports landscape is led by fans? The only team that I can think of that comes remotely close is the Green Bay Packers. All other teams are owned by one person or a group similar in structure to CFG. I have no problems with CFG unless they start treating us like a farm system for Man City, which I doubt they will do. I think it's actually good to have an experienced group of individuals helping us build a team with a solid infrastructure in place. It's not easy to start an expansion team, especially in a city like NYC. Without CFG, I don't think we would have the money to sign the big name DPs that we have on roster now. It could be debated if signing Villa, Pirlo and Lampard was the best idea, but I think intentions were good. We 100% wouldn't have been able to get PV as a coach.

The problem is not the fans but the owners have created bylaws in all the major sports including MLS that prohibit fan ownership. Green Bay Packers are actually grandfathered in.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm confused, too. Are you specifically anti-CFG? Or generally against ownership by any type of entity other than supporters trusts? If it's the latter, I agree with the post way above that the way MLS is currently structured it's exceedingly unlikely that a supporters trust could 100% own any team in the league.

Also, I'm not sure if *you* understand that NYCFC isn't owned *by* Manchester City, but rather that 80% of NYCFC is owned by the same holding company that owns Manchester City FC, City Football Group. The other 20% is owned by the New York Yankees ownership group.

I don't think ajax was suggesting supporter-owned, but rather an ownership group that's not going to treat the largest market in the U.S. like a farm team. Man City might not technically own NYCFC, but CFG owns both, and we all know who their favorite child is, right? I'm not saying that it can't be done right and even have massive benefits... it definitely could. BUT they have not shown themselves 1) capable of or more importantly 2) caring to do it the right way.

This is one of the reasons I started another discussion thread "Team Name / Nickname" on the forum. I don't want this "City" "FC" baby blue, EPL stuff..... If I wanted to have an EPL team, I'd have an EPL team... I don't. I'm an MLS fan, and sports are local.

The club needs to stop acting like it's Man City B. This is New York, and we deserve better. And if you disagree that CFG is running this club like Man City B, here are the facts:
1) It's call Football Club, because CFG doesn't care about what we say in the US, they care about aligning NYC with Manchester's brand.
2) Same reason they emphasize the "City" and "Cityzens" b.s.
3) Baby blue jersey clones of man city.
4) Frank Lampard saga.
5) Turning Kreis into a scapegoat and replacing him with former Man City academy coach (I like Vieira's personality and ability, and it's not his fault CFG did this)

It can be CFG as the owners, they just need to cut this stuff out. Give us our own team that we can be proud of, not some Man City light.

My biggest fear is that those of you on here saying "now I follow Man City" or "now i pull for man city".... my fear is that that is the purpose of NYCFC for CFG. I pray that that's not it. Because if the point of NYCFC is to sell Man City, then it's not a team at all, it's just a commercial, and we're viewed as customers, not fans. I pray that that's not the case. But if I continue to see evidence that it is the case, then I'm not buyin.

Can't see it, too much money to be made, big market arguably one of the biggest in the world, ambitious project, good owners, fantastic fan base, hopefully as the team gets older and more experienced, CFG don't interfere as much and let the team and brand have its own identity than being a feeder club which the majority fans want, the social interaction with the fans is world class they do make you feel like your part of the club, a lot of teams could learn from them

I don't want this "City" "FC" baby blue, EPL stuff..... If I wanted to have an EPL team, I'd have an EPL team... I don't. I'm an MLS fan, and sports are local.

The club needs to stop acting like it's Man City B. This is New York, and we deserve better. And if you disagree that CFG is running this club like Man City B, here are the facts:
1) It's call Football Club, because CFG doesn't care about what we say in the US, they care about aligning NYC with Manchester's brand.
2) Same reason they emphasize the "City" and "Cityzens" b.s.
3) Baby blue jersey clones of man city.
4) Frank Lampard saga.
5) Turning Kreis into a scapegoat and replacing him with former Man City academy coach (I like Vieira's personality and ability, and it's not his fault CFG did this)
The problem with your "facts" is that they're not actually facts but are really your opinions. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

1. It's called Football Club because that's what the sport is called in almost the entire world. And actually, without even looking too deeply, around a third of the teams in MLS are also called football club (I didn't check legal or corporate names so there might be a few more beyond the ones with those actual words in the team name). It's not brand alignment, that's just what the sport is called.

2. While this one does have some validity the fact is New York is actually called "the city" by everyone within a 50 to 100 mile radius. And even if you say "the city" when you're in some other far away state you may get a funny look but almost everyone will have New York as at least their second choice when trying to figure out which one you meant. In a way we have a much better claim to being called City than Man City does as that's how our little town is referred to. Well, not counting their 150 years of history with that name.

3. First off, the color is sky blue. And while it's true that the jerseys are practically the same the other side of that is that we didn't have a jersey for 20 years and then they came in and changed it. Melbourne City had their own pre-existing jersey and they still do. If we had had a jersey already they wouldn't have changed ours and we would have kept it. But we had no jerseys so they chose to make it sky blue. And our current secondaries are certainly nothing like any of Man City's jerseys. Also, there's not really all that many colors to choose from and there's only one other team with sky blue jerseys in the league (Sporting KC). You could sort of say Vancouver has light blue, and even maybe Montreal if you stretched things. There's 22 teams now (and each one will have at least two jersey designs) and only so many colors you can use. So yeah, they used sky blue. But they've also sold a ton of jerseys.

4. This one is indeed a saga, but I'm truly hoping Lampard will play a lot of games for us this year as we're only four games into the season. Even if he's only here for the rest of this season we could still get 20 or 25 games out of him if his calf is healed, and I'm hoping we'll be on here in 20 years saying something like, "yeah, it stank we missed him most of our first season but wow, what a difference he made in our second season."

5. While this is basically true Kreis just didn't work out here, alas, and personally I wish he had as I'd rather've had delightful memories of our first few years of him starting up the team rather than crappy ones. But to call Vieira a "former academy coach" is like saying, "oh, he's just a pub league coach." The fact is that Vieira knows how to win. World Cups, league championships, national teams, he's won everywhere as a player. I didn't follow the Man City academy at all but he's supposed to have done a good job there as well. Everyone's upset we haven't won our first four matches but nobody considers it's only our second year, one that's following a pretty crappy first year. We have a lot of different players so that's good, but the big complaint last year was no time to gel. So how much time have we had to gel *this* year? Not much yet. Ask me again in September.

Also, sports aren't necessarily local any more. Dallas Cowboys anyone? Or Man United, or Barca. Local teams that get followed all around the world. Heck, even Man City is in the top 10 in world popularity. Sports aren't all that local anymore.

So yeah, you're totally entitled to your opinions about the team and about Man City and CFG and they don't even have to match mine. A lot of other people may even agree with your opinions. That doesn't make them facts though.

3. First off, the color is sky blue. And while it's true that the jerseys are practically the same the other side of that is that we didn't have a jersey for 20 years and then they came in and changed it. Melbourne City had their own pre-existing jersey and they still do. If we had had a jersey already they wouldn't have changed ours and we would have kept it. But we had no jerseys so they chose to make it sky blue. And our current secondaries are certainly nothing like any of Man City's jerseys. Also, there's not really all that many colors to choose from and there's only one other team with sky blue jerseys in the league (Sporting KC). You could sort of say Vancouver has light blue, and even maybe Montreal if you stretched things. There's 22 teams now (and each one will have at least two jersey designs) and only so many colors you can use. So yeah, they used sky blue. But they've also sold a ton of jerseys.
Wrong from the first sentence. This has nothing to do with Man City or CFG, but this is a defense of the sky and its beauty. The color of our uniforms looks nothing like the sky.

The defining element of sky blue is not that it is light, but that it is gradient. Darker in some areas than others. Always.
trust-photographer.jpeg

Go outside right now. The sky is darker in some areas than others.
Where I am it is darker high up than by the horizon.
IMG_4792.JPG IMG_4791.JPG
Most importantly, it is the variations that make it interesting. The flatter the color of the sky is, the more boring any image of it will be.

I realize there is a convention to call a flat color sky blue, especially in commercially produced paints and fabrics. But the jersey is not even like that. Our color is softer and lighter than even commercial sky blue. We have an almost pastel baby blue. But nobody wants to acknowledge that their sports team has that as their color, so they call it sky. But it's not.

Finally, I understand this is a pet peeve and nobody cares, but you're all wrong, and I couldn't keep it in any longer. I'll try not to bring this up again. But calling our uniforms sky blue is an insult to true natural beauty.

The problem with your "facts" is that they're not actually facts but are really your opinions. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

1. It's called Football Club because that's what the sport is called in almost the entire world. And actually, without even looking too deeply, around a third of the teams in MLS are also called football club (I didn't check legal or corporate names so there might be a few more beyond the ones with those actual words in the team name). It's not brand alignment, that's just what the sport is called.

2. While this one does have some validity the fact is New York is actually called "the city" by everyone within a 50 to 100 mile radius. And even if you say "the city" when you're in some other far away state you may get a funny look but almost everyone will have New York as at least their second choice when trying to figure out which one you meant. In a way we have a much better claim to being called City than Man City does as that's how our little town is referred to. Well, not counting their 150 years of history with that name.

4. This one is indeed a saga, but I'm truly hoping Lampard will play a lot of games for us this year as we're only four games into the season. Even if he's only here for the rest of this season we could still get 20 or 25 games out of him if his calf is healed, and I'm hoping we'll be on here in 20 years saying something like, "yeah, it stank we missed him most of our first season but wow, what a difference he made in our second season."

5. While this is basically true Kreis just didn't work out here, alas, and personally I wish he had as I'd rather've had delightful memories of our first few years of him starting up the team rather than crappy ones. But to call Vieira a "former academy coach" is like saying, "oh, he's just a pub league coach." The fact is that Vieira knows how to win. World Cups, league championships, national teams, he's won everywhere as a player. I didn't follow the Man City academy at all but he's supposed to have done a good job there as well. Everyone's upset we haven't won our first four matches but nobody considers it's only our second year, one that's following a pretty crappy first year. We have a lot of different players so that's good, but the big complaint last year was no time to gel. So how much time have we had to gel *this* year? Not much yet. Ask me again in September.

Also, sports aren't necessarily local any more. Dallas Cowboys anyone? Or Man United, or Barca. Local teams that get followed all around the world. Heck, even Man City is in the top 10 in world popularity. Sports aren't all that local anymore.

So yeah, you're totally entitled to your opinions about the team and about Man City and CFG and they don't even have to match mine. A lot of other people may even agree with your opinions. That doesn't make them facts though.

I agree, ok they could off been a influence of City picking the colours for NYCFC but it works well I think. Lampard situation has been horribly managed and it doesn't help with him being currently injured, I think it be best to just terminate his contract and end this saga. Kreis was unfortunate and unlucky, but sometimes it doesn't work out, Vieira is a likeable player's coach, I watched some of his stuff and I would love someone like him to be my manager. Well I'm in trouble if suppose to support my local team as I live in the UK, I'm a United fan aswell but at the moment I questioning that lol (I've just written a mini blog on how I got into supporting NYCFC, if people are interested in reading it I'm more than happy to post it)

Because if the point of NYCFC is to sell Man City, then it's not a team at all, it's just a commercial, and we're viewed as customers, not fans. I pray that that's not the case. But if I continue to see evidence that it is the case, then I'm not buyin.

If you think for a minute that expanding the City Football Group global brand isn't one of the uppermost reasons for them buying an MLS franchise then you're delusional. It absolutely is and they've been upfront about that from Day 1.
I have my own team in my own city and they're called NEW YORK CITY FOOTBALL CLUB. I'm proud of the club, the players and the support the fans deliver week after week.

What is in place is not going to change anytime soon, if ever, so you may want to consider another club or another cause.

I appreciate your opinions as well. Hey, we're all fans of the same club and just here to have a discussion. No hard feelings over disagreeing. I still think they're all facts. There may be other ways to explain or rationalize all of those decisions that CFG has made, but they are active decisions, made to align with MCFC. I hope you're right and it's all a coincidence, but taken as a whole the odds of that are slim. I think us looking at it that way would just be trying to rationalize all of CFG's b.s. so we can try to like the team a bit more... I'm just saying we shouldn't have to accept what they give us. They should give us what we want. Unlike most other expansion teams, they never even asked.

1. I fully acknowledge it's call Football across the globe, and totally respect that. Just like I respect the language, culture and words used wherever I travel. We call it Soccer here. Millions of kids grow up playing Soccer. The league is Major League Soccer. There's nothing wrong with either one at all. I just take offense that they didn't care to use our local words. It's our team after all, right? And yes, I've absolutely seen that some recent expansion teams in MLS are going for "FC", but 1) from the looks of MLS forums, most fans hate it; 2) its just a marketing ploy to try to convert eurosnob fans, and 3) many just use "FC" and don't spell out "Football" so it can also have the "Futbol" meaning.

2. "The City" will always be NY. Of course. But that's not why they put the focus on that word. They are CITY Football Group. It's their brand. (On a side note, this is the one I care the least about... but combined with the others, it's just another sign of CFG's motivations).

3. Everyone knows they cloned the MCFC jerseys on us on purpose. I understand we didn't have an existing jersey that they trashed, but come on.... If it's supposed to be its own team (and it damn well better be), then why give it the jersey of the "sister" (see: parent) club? It was a HUGED missed opportunity, and sent a LOT of fans / potential fans running. This was their biggest mistake by far.

4. The Lampard thing is just ridiculous... They take all of the healthy time he had left, and throw him to us when he's more injury prone. And the way they lied to us all in the branding was really bad.

5. Definitely did not mean to belittle Vieira's ability at all. He's extremely talented and has a very bright future in coaching, I'm sure. It was more about removing Kreis after a year, when we all know that Kreis is a great coach, it wasn't his fault they didn't make the playoffs in year 1, and they never would have done the same to one of "their guys". Hopefully we won't find out either way and we'll make the playoffs this year!

And for me, sports are and should be local. Support your local teams! Everyone pulling for a team far away because they're bigger or better is only causing their own local team/league to never be bigger or better because they don't support it. Everyone out there who watches EPL and refuses to watch MLS (no one on here, as we're NYC fans) because it's "not good enough", just gives more money to EPL and never supports the growth of the beautiful game domestically. They're preventing the product they love from getting to their backyard because they don't support it.

Anyway, we're all entitled to our opinions, for sure. I'm just getting tired of rationalizing CFG's actions. I love the players and I want to love this club so so badly. I am a die hard MLS fan and have never had my own team because the Red Bulls are a corporate commercial, not a team. And I'm praying that NYCFC isn't the same thing but just inserting MCFC instead of energy drinks. I just want us fans to get a collective say. To get a unique team to love and support.

Reactions: Seth
Wrong from the first sentence. This has nothing to do with Man City or CFG, but this is a defense of the sky and its beauty. The color of our uniforms looks nothing like the sky.

The defining element of sky blue is not that it is light, but that it is gradient. Darker in some areas than others. Always.
View attachment 4590

Go outside right now. The sky is darker in some areas than others.
Where I am it is darker high up than by the horizon.
View attachment 4591 View attachment 4592
Most importantly, it is the variations that make it interesting. The flatter the color of the sky is, the more boring any image of it will be.

I realize there is a convention to call a flat color sky blue, especially in commercially produced paints and fabrics. But the jersey is not even like that. Our color is softer and lighter than even commercial sky blue. We have an almost pastel baby blue. But nobody wants to acknowledge that their sports team has that as their color, so they call it sky. But it's not.

Finally, I understand this is a pet peeve and nobody cares, but you're all wrong, and I couldn't keep it in any longer. I'll try not to bring this up again. But calling our uniforms sky blue is an insult to true natural beauty.
Dude, try washing your authentic jersey with a little bit of bleach added to the detergent and I guarantee you'll see sky-blue gradients in the fabric.