Will Nycfc Use The Targeted Allocation Money?

Kevin

Registered
Seasoned Supporter
Jun 10, 2014
Brooklyn
"Major League Soccer still hasn't announced the "Core Player" rule, but between the rumors and what Yahoo sports has said, the essentials are this: several teams will be able to sign a 4th Designated Player during the Secondary Transfer Window (July 8 to August 6)."

"A source told Yahoo Sports that a Core Player is a current Designated Player who makes more than the league's maximum salary of $436,000 but less than $750,000. The rule is up for evaluation next year, a second league source said, when MLS could decide to potentially add more allocation money into the pot for each team."

Who can we sign within this structure or what are thoughts about this (Giovani dos Santos) rule?

Yeah, the advantage is that next year, we won't have to buy down Mix's contract with allocation money. We'll be able to use the *100k in allocation money due to the Core agreement to push him down to non-DP wages on a yearly basis.

Reactions: roxfontaine
Need more details on this to say for sure. The one article that came out was vague and contradicted itself.

And saying Mix is perfect for it is speculation on speculation, because we don't know how much Mix makes. Iraola might make more than him. Or both might be barely above the threshold, and we can use the slot on an incoming player. Or Maybe the spot doesn't work like we think it does. Or maybe we don't have the cap room to use it. Or maybe there's multiple CP spots. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Need more details on this to say for sure. The one article that came out was vague and contradicted itself.

And saying Mix is perfect for it is speculation on speculation, because we don't know how much Mix makes. Iraola might make more than him. Or both might be barely above the threshold, and we can use the slot on an incoming player. Or Maybe the spot doesn't work like we think it does. Or maybe we don't have the cap room to use it. Or maybe there's multiple CP spots. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Of course it is all speculation. At the same time, all we have heard is that allocation money was used to buy down Mix's contract and there have been whispers that MLS front offices have been aware of a mechanism like a 4th DP or this core player rule for a few months now. I have to think that CFG and NYCFC knew that they wouldn't be able to keep buying down Mix's contract with allocation money (if that is truly the case as has been stated thousands times).

Your unwillingness to wildly engage in rampant guessing the way everyone else on here does is totally bummin' me out dude.

I would love to see it be sued to grab another player rather than a mechanism to pay the current players have. Sadly though I feel itll end up being used for the later.

Who knows what they will use it for. The better news to me is that MLS is willing to change rules on the fly when the right players like Gio come along. Great news for us as fans of a team with deep pockets in city that is highly desirable for foreign talent.

This could more accurately be referred to as the "Omar Gonzalez Rule" because he'll be the LA player filling the Core DP Spot and that's only possible because his salary of approximately $1 million will be paid down to $750,000 using allocation money. Dos Santos will be paid a lot more than $750,000. In fact, I've heard he will get $7 million

This just sounds like what we already did with Mix. Bummer.
Bet you within a year or two they make some new mechanism where a guy who doesn't start as a dp but re-signs as such will have a reduced cap hit and not take up a full slot.

Nothing other than reading tea leaves on my part, but I won't be surprised if this happens.

You can't use this with regular allocation money so we can't use it on mix. We have the option to sign a new player this year or next year to a 3 year 600k per deal and use this to buy down his salary to roughly 433k a year. We would have to trade someone this year or do a back loaded deal where they get paid more in year 2 to fit under the cap.

Reactions: FootyLovin
Bet you within a year or two they make some new mechanism where a guy who doesn't start as a dp but re-signs as such will have a reduced cap hit and not take up a full slot.

Nothing other than reading tea leaves on my part, but I won't be surprised if this happens.
The subtitle of my new book, "The MLS Story", will be "I won't be surprised if this happens".

Agree. This will especially help when the various academy talent starts flowing thru the league. Help to keep them in MLS and not lose them to foreign leagues.

Someone posted a theory on Reddit in a buried comment that I like. This rule might result in the "big" teams distributing their mid-quality players around the league in exchange for the new targeted allocation money.

For example, we have a decent, MLS-quality center back in Jason Hernandez who is likely making around his 2014 salary of $210,000. Just picking a random name, but let's say we have some positive talks with Geoff Cameron*, to upgrade the position. We agree to a $600k salary per year. We can then trade Hernandez to, say, Colorado for $100k of targeted allocation money, use our $100k, and in total, we just upgraded from Hernandez to Cameron for $190,000 net.

*I know, he's on the allocation list. Just an example.

In this theory, I guess there is no transfer fee and the total Targeted Allocation used was $200k (nyc's 100k plus Rapids) right?

Reactions: sbrylski
Someone posted a theory on Reddit in a buried comment that I like. This rule might result in the "big" teams distributing their mid-quality players around the league in exchange for the new targeted allocation money.

For example, we have a decent, MLS-quality center back in Jason Hernandez who is likely making around his 2014 salary of $210,000. Just picking a random name, but let's say we have some positive talks with Geoff Cameron*, to upgrade the position. We agree to a $600k salary per year. We can then trade Hernandez to, say, Colorado for $100k of targeted allocation money, use our $100k, and in total, we just upgraded from Hernandez to Cameron for $190,000 net.

*I know, he's on the allocation list. Just an example.
This is what I like about this rule, even though I think a rise in the salary cap would make more sense. If you're a small team that doesn't want to take on two salaries over 500K, you can still trade this fake (but useful) money for assets. That's creative, and I like it.

Reactions: Kjbert
At the end of each rule in the MLS Rule Book there's probably one of these: *Subject to change when Garber sees fit
For those that haven't read the whole story this new rule was actually an item in the latest CBA. So they created in March as part of the negotiations with the Players Union.