Will Nycfc Use The Targeted Allocation Money?

For those that haven't read the whole story this new rule was actually an item in the latest CBA. So they created in March as part of the negotiations with the Players Union.
Yeah maybe be bought down Iraola with this money or we just have it sitting and waiting for a young up and coming star. We will probably never know.

Yeah maybe be bought down Iraola with this money or we just have it sitting and waiting for a young up and coming star. We will probably never know.
With 3 DPs each making a ton, this new rule is useless. But this is new mechanism that NYCFC keeps players like Mix or Iraola who would otherwise be DPs but currently aren't because NYCFC was bending the rules.

Besides LA, I think teams like Seattle or Salt Lake will greatly benefit from this.

Reactions: Kjbert
Sounds like the owners want to keep LA as a powerhouse, and potentially create a cross country rivalry with NYC. So when we ended up with 3 of the top 10 DPs the league has ever seen, at the same time, they needed to allow LA to keep up.

I am pulling the top 10 DPs out of my ass, but its an interesting list, who would you say are the top 10 DPs in league history?

In no order,
Beckham
Henry
Keane
Donovan
Dempsey
Bradley
Giovinco
Kaka
Gerrard
Martins

I would say Villa, Pirlo and Lampard fit very comfortably near the top of that group.

Here's what a writer for NBC sports thinks:

BIGGEST SIGNINGS IN MLS HISTORY

1. David Beckham

2. Thierry Henry

3. Steven Gerrard

4. Frank Lampard

5. Kaka

6. David Villa

7. Robbie Keane

8. Clint Dempsey

9. Michael Bradley

10. Tim Cahill
Three Englishmen and an Arsenal player in his top 4? That's interesting. It's not like NBC Sports has a contract with the English Premier League or anything, though, right? :p

I'd also add that Tim Cahill being anywhere near that list is totally laughable.

Here is a nice article explaining how the rule works and who might benefit from it.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...allocation-money-giovani-dos-santos-la-galaxy

The one thing they are missing is what we are speculating NYCFC might do. That is to take a player, like Mix, whose salary was paid down with allocation money this year, and in future years pay it down with TAM. Then, you can use the regular allocation money in other ways that you see fit.

With 3 DPs each making a ton, this new rule is useless. But this is new mechanism that NYCFC keeps players like Mix or Iraola who would otherwise be DPs but currently aren't because NYCFC was bending the rules.

I wouldn't be surprised if we are already utilizing the new targeted allocation money (TAM) with Iraola. It is not inconceivable that our FO was privy to this new rule/mechanism and that might be why the Pirlo signing was delayed for so long -- they signed Iraola slightly over the DP threshold (appx $500,000) with the plan of using the new TAM to pay it down and then make Pirlo the 3rd DP at a much higher salary. I'm guessing at some future date, when salary info is released, we will learn that this was the case. We already know that Mix's salary was paid down using general allocation money (GAM) which all teams already receive (and expansion teams get more). I swear, clubs need MLS salary rule gurus to function at a high level. I think Toronto FC actually has a numbers guy as their Director of Football rather than a soccer guy like Reyna.

Reactions: Kjbert
Here is a nice article explaining how the rule works and who might benefit from it.

https://www.sbnation.com/soccer/201...allocation-money-giovani-dos-santos-la-galaxy

The one thing they are missing is what we are speculating NYCFC might do. That is to take a player, like Mix, whose salary was paid down with allocation money this year, and in future years pay it down with TAM. Then, you can use the regular allocation money in other ways that you see fit.

Or it is entirely possible that Mix and Iraola are on 500k wages, paid down with normal allocatoin funds, to 425kish.

You could sign another player on roughly 650k a year wages to a 2 year contract this winter. As an example, that is more money than Beckerman, Zusi, Besler and Edu make.

Reactions: Paul
Sounds like the owners want to keep LA as a powerhouse, and potentially create a cross country rivalry with NYC. So when we ended up with 3 of the top 10 DPs the league has ever seen, at the same time, they needed to allow LA to keep up.

I am pulling the top 10 DPs out of my ass, but its an interesting list, who would you say are the top 10 DPs in league history?

In no order,
Beckham
Henry
Keane
Donovan
Dempsey
Bradley
Giovinco
Kaka
Gerrard
Martins

I would say Villa, Pirlo and Lampard fit very comfortably near the top of that group.

As much as I dislike them I hope the RB ownership turns over at some point and the team starts spending on big time DPs as well. A rival with LA is great but having our cross town rivals on similar footing adds to the excitement. If CFG keeps pumping money into NYCFC as it seems they will and RB keeps being cheap its not going to be a very competitive rivalry in a few years.

Here's what a writer for NBC sports thinks:

BIGGEST SIGNINGS IN MLS HISTORY

1. David Beckham

2. Thierry Henry

3. Steven Gerrard

4. Frank Lampard

5. Kaka

6. David Villa

7. Robbie Keane

8. Clint Dempsey

9. Michael Bradley

10. Tim Cahill

That list seems about right. To me Prilo slides in somewhere in that 3-5 group. I dont think many could bump Beckham or Henry, just because it was such a big deal when they came and they were both a bit younger than the current Pirlo/Lampard/Gerrard group. The only other change I would make is bumping Keane below Dempsy and Bradley. Those guys coming back at a younger age with big time USMNT connections was a big deal.