Would you rather CCL/RBNJ Poll

Would you rather

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What would be hilarious is if the NYRB won and the mayors office declined to give them a parade citing the fact that they have no history in the state or city of NY.

Followed by the phone number for the mayors office for Harrison NJ.

Ahh idle thoughts are fun sometimes.

I may considering voting for de Blasio if he trolled the Red Bulls like that...

Shirley no one on here thinks RB will win the cup?
Unlike stocks, past performance is a guarantee on this one. Ask any RB fan.

It's just the way it is, folks.

Reactions: Ulrich
Shirley no one on here thinks RB will win the cup?
Unlike stocks, past performance is a guarantee on this one. Ask any RB fan.

It's just the way it is, folks.

Red Bulls: 0% success in MLS Cup over 20 years
Monster Energy: 167365% return on its stock over 20 years

Correlation does not equal causation...

What would be hilarious is if the NYRB won and the mayors office declined to give them a parade citing the fact that they have no history in the state or city of NY.

Followed by the phone number for the mayors office for Harrison NJ.

Ahh idle thoughts are fun sometimes.

Why isn't NYRB getting auto corrected to NJRB anymore?

You remember that thing called the regular season? All those 34 games? It actually does count for something.
Oh I know, but in that example, what we accomplished in the regular season was the exact same. But in one case we get allocation money because some other team lost.

I understand that our regular season performance puts us in a position to gain. And that gain should be entry into CCL, especially as they cannot put the same team into CCL more than once if they "qualify" via multiple methods.

I just don't think we deserve the allocation money for it. To bring up my example again:

1) We finish regular season as we just did, and make it all the way to the MLS Cup Final and lose to LAG. LAG gets final CCL spot and we receive no allocation money.

2) We get blown out by Toronto in the Conference Semi-finals and they go on to win MLS Cup. We get the final CCL spot (makes sense to me because you cannot put the same team in the tournament more than once) and also get allocation money for it (this does not make sense to me, give that allocation money to the team that actually won MLS Cup).

Maybe I'm in the minority in this position, but I don't think we would "deserve" the allocation money.

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Maybe I'm in the minority in this position, but I don't think we would "deserve" the allocation money.
If your metric for allocation money is "deservingness" then the money could be split.

E.g., We lose to TFC and DAL win MLS Cup. We deserve some funds for CCL qualifying via our regular season record but DAL deserve funds for both USOC and MLS wins and SS for that matter. So DAL should get 2 full shares. NJ 1 share. And NYC and COL each get 1/2 share since they didn't get a pure win of their spot.

However, the metric isn't really deservingness, it's competitiveness. Any team playing extra games, especially down the home stretch of the season, needs extra money for roster depth in order to compete in both CCL and MLS. It does MLS no good to have teams that are or can be competitive shrink in either or both of those competitions when a little extra allocation money can help them be appropriately competitive in both.

If your metric for allocation money is "deservingness" then the money could be split.

E.g., We lose to TFC and DAL win MLS Cup. We deserve some funds for CCL qualifying via our regular season record but DAL deserve funds for both USOC and MLS wins and SS for that matter. So DAL should get 2 full shares. NJ 1 share. And NYC and COL each get 1/2 share since they didn't get a pure win of their spot.

However, the metric isn't really deservingness, it's competitiveness. Any team playing extra games, especially down the home stretch of the season, needs extra money for roster depth in order to compete in both CCL and MLS. It does MLS no good to have teams that are or can be competitive shrink in either or both of those competitions when a little extra allocation money can help them be appropriately competitive in both.
I guess the competitiveness part makes sense.

I just don't completely get the deservedness of it, especially in the example I gave where we in totality, did not perform as well but end up receiving allocation money.

But the competitiveness factor for CCL I was not considering.

Reactions: FootyLovin
I could have guessed most of the make CCL votes. adam and EganSoccerWords derek_villa are mysteries, of the regulars.

Shifting gears, Wasn't even thinking about this, but there's a strong chance any matches we were to have in CCL would be about as watchable as our USOC matches. So there is that to consider, i.e., the eye-gouging nature of play produced by our b squad cup endeavors. It's painful to watch that stuff and in general diminishes my enjoyment derived from following the team because I get extra bitchy watching us play shit.

bro even wore brown shoes while voting in the poll.

I also want to say that it make alot of sense from a competitive standpoint. LA has been able to have MLS Cup contending teams for what it seems to be the last 20 years in part from all of the allocation money they keep getting. When everything outside what we want to pay for DPs is constrained, we need to maximize the MLS funny money when we can. If that means enduring games with our B squad vs some random Central American team, then we can put up with it.

But fuck RasenBallsport NJ too and I hope I don't have to root for them in Cup final.

Last edited: