2017 Preseason Thread

I noticed that Sands was listed as a defender on the Ecuador roster. I thought he was a mid?

Reactions: Kjbert
Both he and Chanot played as the 6 the other night.

Maybe we're playing a funky lineup with a Sweeper pushing up next to Pirlo. That's how we finished the season with Iraola last year. Who needs a 6 when you have a Sweeper I guess.

I think about how Chelsea plays. They don't have a crappy defender like Pirlo in front of their back three. Luiz roams around behind Kante and Matic. Fabregas doesn't see the field anymore.

Here is a fascinating article on De Rossi playing as a "Libero,". In reading this, I think that our approach to De Rossi was not about being a CDM at all and now I don't think PV wants a #6. I think he wants a hybrid defender/creator to break up plays and spur the counter attack. When you look at how Iraola played for us last year, I think this is a brilliant approach by PV. He just needs a better version. It also convinces me that Conte is the smartest man in football from the perspective of best understanding the players that fit his system. Luiz was useless as a defender the past few years.

I wouldn't be shocked at all to see Chanot now play in a 3 man backline but really pair with Pirlo. And maybe they want to groom Sands for this specific role.

http://forzaitalianfootball.com/2012/06/daniele-de-rossi-and-the-strange-story-of-the-libero/

I wonder if Sands might make the roster as a 5th CB or a utility defender. We have 4 CBs right now, but we really need 5 for depth purposes. I like the 3 guys that are competing for the starting spots and White as a backup is good. If Sands is ready, there is probably a lot of benefit to having him on the first team.

But, he does have to be ready. I don't think elevation to the first team is automatically helpful to development. Below some level, a young player just can't cut it with the professionals and will struggle and flounder. This can be detrimental to his development, hurting his confidence and preventing him from being able to improve. To get better at anything, you always want to play with people a little higher than your level, but too much higher, and those benefits are lost. I wonder if the purpose to bringing him in is to see if he is close enough to really benefit by being on the squad or needs another year in the academy.

Why even have an "affiliate," which is basically just a block loan. If we have a guy or two to loan out, just loan them out directly.

i keep thinking its a requirement to have an affiliate ....if you use it or not is another matter

I wonder if Sands might make the roster as a 5th CB or a utility defender. We have 4 CBs right now, but we really need 5 for depth purposes. I like the 3 guys that are competing for the starting spots and White as a backup is good. If Sands is ready, there is probably a lot of benefit to having him on the first team.

But, he does have to be ready. I don't think elevation to the first team is automatically helpful to development. Below some level, a young player just can't cut it with the professionals and will struggle and flounder. This can be detrimental to his development, hurting his confidence and preventing him from being able to improve. To get better at anything, you always want to play with people a little higher than your level, but too much higher, and those benefits are lost. I wonder if the purpose to bringing him in is to see if he is close enough to really benefit by being on the squad or needs another year in the academy.

I like this. And it doesn't cost us anything

Reactions: adam

At 16 years old, he needs to play. I'd rather he goes down to the academy and plays than be stapled to the bench on the first team. He's 16 and already training with the big club. No need to rush him.

At 16 years old, he needs to play. I'd rather he goes down to the academy and plays than be stapled to the bench on the first team. He's 16 and already training with the big club. No need to rush him.

I think what has been stated on here is that he gets more out of training every day with the professionals than he would down at IMG.

Reactions: adam and Ulrich
I think it was a Malcolm Gladwell book that I read that had an anecdote that stuck with me and applies here. They studied science students who were top of their class in high school and followed them into college and watched how they did in college. Some of the kids went to places like Harvard where even though they were very smart, they were also surrounded by even smarter kids, so they ended up being say the 20th smartest science student at Harvard. Other kids went to good state schools, U of Maryland was the example i think. At that school these kids were top 1 or 2 students. So the question was which ones ended up better?

They found that the kids going to Harvard dropped out of the program more frequently. They had been always top of their class and they felt like failures in college, even though they were at one of the best schools in the country.

My application here is that the kid is getting the experience of a lifetime in preseason with no pressure. He goes back to academy, knowing the team likes his game. Uses new training techniques he learned, and the rest of the camp sees that if they work hard they can get a brief training stint with the big team.

Signing him would be a huge mistake in my opinion. He's 16

I think it was a Malcolm Gladwell book that I read that had an anecdote that stuck with me and applies here. They studied science students who were top of their class in high school and followed them into college and watched how they did in college. Some of the kids went to places like Harvard where even though they were very smart, they were also surrounded by even smarter kids, so they ended up being say the 20th smartest science student at Harvard. Other kids went to good state schools, U of Maryland was the example i think. At that school these kids were top 1 or 2 students. So the question was which ones ended up better?

They found that the kids going to Harvard dropped out of the program more frequently. They had been always top of their class and they felt like failures in college, even though they were at one of the best schools in the country.

My application here is that the kid is getting the experience of a lifetime in preseason with no pressure. He goes back to academy, knowing the team likes his game. Uses new training techniques he learned, and the rest of the camp sees that if they work hard they can get a brief training stint with the big team.

1) Maybe they need him now or think he could contribute at this level immediately
2) He doesn't cost the squad anything
3) In MLS, it's important to recognize cap impact and sell on ability. Maybe he has ambitions to play abroad
4) Is the level of instruction better at IMG (Maryland) or NYCFC (Harvard)? That's a variable
5) Maybe he wants the competition

This is where duplicating the Euro/Philly Union model makes sense to me. Control your Academy kids day in and day out.

You also may be right and I may also be entirely off on the way I've come around to it. I used to agree with your line of thinking.

Christopher Jee care to weigh in on all the research/data/methodological problems with the conclusions drawn from this study chock full o' 3rd variables?

I'll just offer 2.
  1. The study doesn't say what the 10 Harvard grads who stayed in the program nor the 20 U Maryland students who stayed in did after their programs ended.
  2. College majors provide little to no support structures to keep students in the programs. They are free to change their major anytime. (I changed mine at least 10x.) I wouldn't expect Sands to feel discouraged and decide to pursue a careen in ice hockey instead. One would suspect the team would provide ample support and keep his spirits up.
Sorry. That study is a straw man for this situation.

He's joining the preseason camp, per NYCFCfan (since I'm his hypeman now)
As in, while they continue to look for a place for him to find playing time? Or, as in, to join the team because they were unable to find a place for him to find playing time and CFG is unwilling to cut and pay?

Reactions: Kjbert and adam