2017 Roster Discussion

For the record, we are talking about two different things. I was talking about how to speculate on a player's new wages given their transfer fee. You're talking about MLS rules.

Reading comprehension goes down after wine and dinner, who knew?

Reactions: sbrylski
Reading comprehension goes down after wine and dinner, who knew?
I was actually going to inquire about your intake while writing your response, but decided against. Seems I should have.

How much TAM do you think we could get from swapping Khiry though?

How much did we get for Mullins, seems like a similar comp? Strong contributions off the bench the previous season, not making the line up often currently. Shelton looses some value due to all the injuries, but based on draft position 2nd vs 11th you could claim at one point at least he was a more highly regarded prospect.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Doyle proposes...https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2017/07/12/armchair-analyst-three-trades-spice-summer-window

NYCFC Receive: TAM + 2018 International Spot
DC Receive: Khiry Shelton

That trade proposal is incomplete. Who are we acquiring with that international spot and TAM money? You can't evaluate that trade in a vacuum - it has to be as part of something else. If we trade Khiry and then don't sign anyone, what was the point?

So I can't even think about whether that's a good trade without knowing who we're bringing on board with that money/intl spot.

Also, I wouldn't do that trade unless the intl. spot was for the rest of this year AND next year. We're not in rebuilding mode, and we shouldn't be giving away a player for something that may or may not happen next year. That needs to be a trade that happens because we have something else coming down the pike.

That trade proposal is incomplete. Who are we acquiring with that international spot and TAM money? You can't evaluate that trade in a vacuum - it has to be as part of something else. If we trade Khiry and then don't sign anyone, what was the point?

So I can't even think about whether that's a good trade without knowing who we're bringing on board with that money/intl spot.

Also, I wouldn't do that trade unless the intl. spot was for the rest of this year AND next year. We're not in rebuilding mode, and we shouldn't be giving away a player for something that may or may not happen next year. That needs to be a trade that happens because we have something else coming down the pike.

A)he sucks
B)hes injured and hasnt played much to begin with
C)we dont need to get a player in return right away
D)we get money and an international spot to bring in a player 70x better than him

Read. Both what you quoted and the link.

OK, so it's an international slot we're already using for this year, he wants to extend the trade for next year. My point remains, then. We should be gearing up to make a Cup run. I'm not trading away a player unless I know I'm getting something tangible back in return. Yes, to Mario Mario I know Khiry hasn't played this season, but he can still be a useful bench option, and we shouldn't just give him away for something that we can't use until next season. That's my point. Let's add pieces for the stretch run, not remove them. We have a couple of empty roster spots. We should add depth, not remove it.

Reactions: mgarbowski
OK, so it's an international slot we're already using for this year, he wants to extend the trade for next year. My point remains, then. We should be gearing up to make a Cup run. I'm not trading away a player unless I know I'm getting something tangible back in return. Yes, to Mario Mario I know Khiry hasn't played this season, but he can still be a useful bench option, and we shouldn't just give him away for something that we can't use until next season. That's my point. Let's add pieces for the stretch run, not remove them. We have a couple of empty roster spots. We should add depth, not remove it.

with money, roster spot and someone that would actually play, i think we'd be improving our chances all around.

I think Doyle's seemingly half-complete proposal is fair, because NYC has shown that it scouts players from other leagues who are simply off the radar of most MLS followers, including him and most of us here. So let NYCFC give up an MLS asset it does not need, Khiry, and in return get 2 MLS assets it does need, TAM and an Int'l slot for 2018, and then let NYCFC do what it does with the money and the slot. I agree we need depth, but Khiry, even if healthy, really isn't a solution for the weakest parts of the roster. Doing this makes it more likely, not less likely that the club can address the depth issues, hopefully this year. A single move can set up other moves without solving every problem on its own.

Hopefully soon NYCFCfan NYCFCfan discloses
I got nothing, still monitoring the left back situation.

On the bright side it's allowed me to work on a new project, which hopefully turns into a series. Interviewing people with unique perspectives on the game in NYC. First interview is done and I hope to have it on the site later today. It's a name a few of you would like to see in a transfer.

We are currently using 9 out of 10. Both of those 2 above the regular 8 that every team has expires on 12/31/17, so if we rollover this team next year we need to pick up another international slot.

Okay, Pirlo retires. We will likely pickup a new DP that is international without a green card. Brillant then to back to 8?

Reactions: Kjbert
I think Doyle's seemingly half-complete proposal is fair, because NYC has shown that it scouts players from other leagues who are simply off the radar of most MLS followers, including him and most of us here. So let NYCFC give up an MLS asset it does not need, Khiry, and in return get 2 MLS assets it does need, TAM and an Int'l slot for 2018, and then let NYCFC do what it does with the money and the slot. I agree we need depth, but Khiry, even if healthy, really isn't a solution for the weakest parts of the roster. Doing this makes it more likely, not less likely that the club can address the depth issues, hopefully this year. A single move can set up other moves without solving every problem on its own.

Unless Khiry plays LB. I mean if Mikey gets a shot at it...

Reactions: mgarbowski

I don't think you can evaluate a trade like that based on who we then sign. Those are two completely different transactions and Khiry would have nothing to do with who we signed with allocation money received.

For example, if we signed some under the radar guy who knocks it out of the park such as a Ring, then that's amazing. It's also possible we completely flub the scouting and/or for some reason the player doesn't work out as hoped such as a Nemec. Neither of those results would have any bearing on the Khiry trade for allocation money. That all comes down to scouting.

Trading for allocation money also doesn't mean that exact amount is gonna be used for one player. We likely already have $200K worth, so say hypothetically that's $100K of allocation money we'd be receiving, $300K of AM would allow us to add another player the level of Callens, Mata, or Ring.