2018 Roster Discussion

I was pretty sure I was involved in a conversation on this topic way back. I was also pretty sure I don't write about the academy a lot. So I searched for posts by me with that word knowing I would not have hundreds to wade through and started from the back. I had responded to what you wrote, my search found that, and bob's your uncle.
giphy.gif

I was pretty sure I was involved in a conversation on this topic way back. I was also pretty sure I don't write about the academy a lot. So I searched for posts by me with that word knowing I would not have hundreds to wade through and started from the back. I had responded to what you wrote, my search found that, and bob's your uncle.
How much did he predict we'd beat RBNJ by again? And how many times?

Give the people what they want!!!/1!!/1!

I didn't get that sense from the article at all. Eloi is out. The contract is done. He didn't cause trouble while riding the bench for 10 months so I don't think they would feel a need suddenly to placate him now.
Riding the bench for 10 months is different to being asked to terminate the contract. Anyway my sense that he may react poorly or publicly is subjective and I guess irrelevant to the broader concern - that CFG may be trying to help out Girona while perhaps inadvertently worsening our roster setup.

Riding the bench for 10 months is different to being asked to terminate the contract. Anyway my sense that he may react poorly or publicly is subjective and I guess irrelevant to the broader concern - that CFG may be trying to help out Girona while perhaps inadvertently worsening our roster setup.

Hello yes I would like to direct your attention to Roddy's v important discovery which explains everything

But we sucked for other reasons too. We had a bad roster in the beginning. It's a much better squad top to bottom now. As a Juventus and Italy fan, I know Pirlo well. He lost his step on a team that had monster talent and it was a problem there. How the hell was he going to be protected on this team? Wasn't going to happen. Neither he nor Lampard were legit signings. I'm not talking about guys in their late 30s though. I'm not talking that big of a name either. Some would consider them legends in their country. We don't have to go that big. Maybe more like Edinson Cavani...but that's probably not realistic either.

I'm going through my head about what players in MLS I'd be excited to go to a baseball stadium to see. I was excited to see Atlanta. I like seeing Giovinco. Would have been cool to see Zlatan. Bastian is ok.

I don't need the names cause I watch soccer. I know who Maxi is. Know Giovinco, Nikolic. I know Josef Martinez. I've heard of Almiron. Watched Alessandrini play...etc. I love these 30 and under talents. BUT, the casual fan isn't getting hyped up about these guys and that's what we are talking about I guess.
So this just made me think of something related to Atlanta.

Atlanta came in and had awesome attendance numbers out of the gate. They also had a great roster that was constructed that resulted in some great success on the field, even if they weren't able to win their playoff game.

Our first year we had really good attendance. We had a shit roster that was constructed that resulted in Kwame Watson Siriboe gaining MLS minutes. Our attendance has been down since.

How much of an impact do you think that may have had on season ticket holders? Perhaps there was a large chunk of fans in year one that were not huge soccer fans, but interested in this new thing happening that seemed exciting, but lost interest in year 1 when Ned Grabavoy and Jeb Brovsky are who they are watching run around the field.

To feed the conspiracy theorists on the board, how much of an impact do you think the lack of GAM/TAM for us negatively impacted our attendance/popularity?

What's the real cost of a USL squad? Hybrid affiliation would mean that NYCFC would only be responsible for technical staff and players. Team would train at our training facility. Some of the roster would be on MLS contracts. The typical USL player makes 2k-3k a month and only during the season. Add technical staff and you are looking at about 500k a season. Have the team play in Suffolk County and you get to expand our brand as well with someone else paying the marketing dollars.
So I've been thinking about this while catching up on this thread.

Do we know what it costs to create a USL squad? Is this something feasible to do here in NYC or the surrounding areas? It seems like its being thrown around here as though just spend money and poof a team appears with a stadium they can play in, and its close enough to where you play that your youngsters can play there regularly, but I'm a bit skeptical.

I also realize I don't pay a ton of attention to USL, so perhaps other teams have done this quite easily. I just have a feeling its a bit more complicated to do so than it's made out to be here.

I very well may be missing some important pieces of information here on this though.

How much of an impact do you think that may have had on season ticket holders? Perhaps there was a large chunk of fans in year one that were not huge soccer fans, but interested in this new thing happening that seemed exciting
I think there was a huge "it's new" factor that first year, but I'm not sure we should compare us to Atlanta. What about comparing us to, say, Philadelphia perhaps (to pick a random team). Atlanta and LA seem to be some weird new "star power" phenomena whereas when we started we were maybe just a soccer team.
Do we know what it costs to create a USL squad? Is this something feasible to do here in NYC or the surrounding areas? It seems like its being thrown around here as though just spend money and poof a team appears with a stadium they can play in, and its close enough to where you play that your youngsters can play there regularly
Well we did have the Charleston Battery our first year. But that didn't last and I think we didn't really pursue a partnership with another team after that. I think there was a second team but I don't think we actually did anything with them, at least not that I know of.

I think there was a huge "it's new" factor that first year, but I'm not sure we should compare us to Atlanta. What about comparing us to, say, Philadelphia perhaps (to pick a random team). Atlanta and LA seem to be some weird new "star power" phenomena whereas when we started we were maybe just a soccer team.

Well we did have the Charleston Battery our first year. But that didn't last and I think we didn't really pursue a partnership with another team after that. I think there was a second team but I don't think we actually did anything with them, at least not that I know of.
san francisco or something, right?

We were affiliated with Wilmington and are currently "affiliated" with San Antonio FC and Long Island Rough Riders. Both are linked on the club's website and we're listed on LIRR's.
I'm doubtful how much of anything the affiliation had to do with Ibeagha coming from or Mikey Lopez going to San Antonio. That's the only player movement I can recall.

ETA: and Eirik got about a month in Wilmington.

We were affiliated with Wilmington and are currently "affiliated" with San Antonio FC and Long Island Rough Riders. Both are linked on the club's website and we're listed on LIRR's.
I'm doubtful how much of anything the affiliation had to do with Ibeagha coming from or Mikey Lopez going to San Antonio. That's the only player movement I can recall.

ETA: and Eirik got about a month in Wilmington.
Oops, you're right. It was Wilmington, not Charleston.

So this just made me think of something related to Atlanta.

Atlanta came in and had awesome attendance numbers out of the gate. They also had a great roster that was constructed that resulted in some great success on the field, even if they weren't able to win their playoff game.

Our first year we had really good attendance. We had a shit roster that was constructed that resulted in Kwame Watson Siriboe gaining MLS minutes. Our attendance has been down since.

How much of an impact do you think that may have had on season ticket holders? Perhaps there was a large chunk of fans in year one that were not huge soccer fans, but interested in this new thing happening that seemed exciting, but lost interest in year 1 when Ned Grabavoy and Jeb Brovsky are who they are watching run around the field.

To feed the conspiracy theorists on the board, how much of an impact do you think the lack of GAM/TAM for us negatively impacted our attendance/popularity?

Your conjecture is this. Do you want star players playing shit team football or normal acknowledged players playing good team football? I just want to win.

Reactions: Kjbert
Your conjecture is this. Do you want star players playing shit team football or normal acknowledged players playing good team football? I just want to win.
I don’t know that you read his post. I didn’t see that conjecture anywhere. He’s talking about how skinny our middle was compared to the fat ATL middle (for lack of a better analogy).

You’re creating a couple of false dichotomies, or a single false trichitomy. Yes, I made that up. But autocorrect liked it so maybe no?

Who cares. Your point wasn’t suitable for the question posed by the quoted post.

Details are important, grasshopper.

Why can't we 1-2 star players playing with normal acknowledged players and winning games? Doesn't have to be one or the other.

Blergh noticed now that the article was a year old, should've realized based on context around Girona's promotion. NVM me.

So I've been thinking about this while catching up on this thread.

Do we know what it costs to create a USL squad? Is this something feasible to do here in NYC or the surrounding areas? It seems like its being thrown around here as though just spend money and poof a team appears with a stadium they can play in, and its close enough to where you play that your youngsters can play there regularly, but I'm a bit skeptical.

I also realize I don't pay a ton of attention to USL, so perhaps other teams have done this quite easily. I just have a feeling its a bit more complicated to do so than it's made out to be here.

I very well may be missing some important pieces of information here on this though.
USL is planning on starting a DIII League next year. Its entirely possible that the Club is part of those plans (Toronto has one of the first 5 Clubs).

The Galaxy's USL team is predominantly academy kids. They are the youngest team in the league and the Academy wound up making it all the way to the finals of the U-19 USDA which is fantastic but since NYCFC won the final I think what we are doing with the Academy right now is working.

USL is planning on starting a DIII League next year. Its entirely possible that the Club is part of those plans (Toronto has one of the first 5 Clubs).

The Galaxy's USL team is predominantly academy kids. They are the youngest team in the league and the Academy wound up making it all the way to the finals of the U-19 USDA which is fantastic but since NYCFC won the final I think what we are doing with the Academy right now is working.
It was great for them to win that and we may well be doing things really well at the academy. But a cup trophy at u19 hardly proves that.

To me, the ultimate determination of academy success is producing professional players. So part of the frustration of not having a USL team is that we aren’t giving players the opportunity for that initial litmus test. To me, that makes it difficult to objectively say our academy is great.

I think we are doing well, but I want to see more players take the next step to verify. And the next step we currently have is just too great for 90-99% of the guys who are seemingly ready to be tested by professional competition.