2018 Roster Discussion

I didn't get that sense from the article at all. Eloi is out. The contract is done. He didn't cause trouble while riding the bench for 10 months so I don't think they would feel a need suddenly to placate him now.

Same. The article is from last year, so his contract is done.

We'll see if he can get his heart into the game here. I'm sure Dome will help bring him along with everything else. He'll be a backup but when we need him it will be imperative that we not drop points going into the playoffs.

It was great for them to win that and we may well be doing things really well at the academy. But a cup trophy at u19 hardly proves that.

To me, the ultimate determination of academy success is producing professional players. So part of the frustration of not having a USL team is that we aren’t giving players the opportunity for that initial litmus test. To me, that makes it difficult to objectively say our academy is great.

I think we are doing well, but I want to see more players take the next step to verify. And the next step we currently have is just too great for 90-99% of the guys who are seemingly ready to be tested by professional competition.
I agree with you but I am encouraged by what I have seen. If I remember correctly the Academy started 4 years ago at the U14 and below level so that fact we don't have any Academy kids playing successfully at the professional level isn't an indication that the system isn't working -- its just too early to tell for sure.

Now that NYCFC won the U19 trophy with mostly underage players next year the challenge is to do it again while having additional developmental opportunities for the 6 players that shone the brightest this year.

For some reason I thought it was significant that Dome had Sands sitting on the bench right behind him the day after Sands played 120 minutes. Its not rational, but I thought it was a signal that he is going to be getting playing time.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Somebody figured out why I would remember we played Orlando on the same day 3 years ago. Thanks!
oh! Happy birthday, month-sharing buddy! hohoho.
July seems to be quite the popular month- Dome the day before me, July 14th... and then I've heard a bunch of other birthdays this month as well!

Reactions: mgarbowski
So I've been thinking about this while catching up on this thread.

Do we know what it costs to create a USL squad? Is this something feasible to do here in NYC or the surrounding areas? It seems like its being thrown around here as though just spend money and poof a team appears with a stadium they can play in, and its close enough to where you play that your youngsters can play there regularly, but I'm a bit skeptical.

I also realize I don't pay a ton of attention to USL, so perhaps other teams have done this quite easily. I just have a feeling its a bit more complicated to do so than it's made out to be here.

I very well may be missing some important pieces of information here on this though.
This is why we want to use a hybrid affiliation. It's like in minor league baseball where the owner of the team controls business operations and the major league club controls the technical side. I think the USL DIII helps lower the barrier. Long Island already has plenty of venues that would be fine for a DIII team.

USL is planning on starting a DIII League next year. Its entirely possible that the Club is part of those plans (Toronto has one of the first 5 Clubs).

The Galaxy's USL team is predominantly academy kids. They are the youngest team in the league and the Academy wound up making it all the way to the finals of the U-19 USDA which is fantastic but since NYCFC won the final I think what we are doing with the Academy right now is working.
Yeah, and perhaps my post was missing another point, which I realized after seeing several of the other responses, and that is with the USL team affiliations, which we have not taken advantage of at all (or our "partner affiliations" weren't willing to really use). I definitely realize there is a lot that can be done on that front, though I'm not certain that Sands and Scally are going to be traveling away while they are still this young.

My main point was to talk towards having the USL/Second Team such as NJ, Seattle, LAG, etc. I think that that brings a whole host of logistical items that it's not as easy as just, spend $X and have a team.

Reactions: Sabo
I think there was a huge "it's new" factor that first year, but I'm not sure we should compare us to Atlanta. What about comparing us to, say, Philadelphia perhaps (to pick a random team). Atlanta and LA seem to be some weird new "star power" phenomena whereas when we started we were maybe just a soccer team.
I agree to a certain extent that maybe we should compare to Atlanta, but let me posit this.

Atlanta was brand new last year, awesome stadium, great fan support right out of the gate.

If Atlanta finished with the second fewest points in the league their first year, do they still have the current attendance and popularity that they have now? I would bet that if we were a top 5 team in our first year, a bunch of those that bought tickets because of the "its new" factor still stick around.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
The truth is that averaging over 20k fans in this saturated sports and entertainment market is pretty solid. It feels so much worse because we play in a venue that has a capacity of 54k plus which exacerbates the appearance of attendance woes. If our temporary home was Columbia University and we filled the 18k (or whatever it is) every game, it's a completely different feel. It's not a perfect comparison for several reasons (including the fact that they do it over twice as often), but the Knicks and Rangers get 18k fans. And yes, it's to capacity, but the point is that an equivalent (actually greater) number of fans in our case ignore all of the other attractions of the big city to show up at a baseball stadium to watch MLS. The dips are another issue, but numbers are positive.

The truth is that averaging over 20k fans in this saturated sports and entertainment market is pretty solid. It feels so much worse because we play in a venue that has a capacity of 54k plus which exacerbates the appearance of attendance woes. If our temporary home was Columbia University and we filled the 18k (or whatever it is) every game, it's a completely different feel. It's not a perfect comparison for several reasons (including the fact that they do it over twice as often), but the Knicks and Rangers get 18k fans. And yes, it's to capacity, but the point is that an equivalent (actually greater) number of fans in our case ignore all of the other attractions of the big city to show up at a baseball stadium to watch MLS. The dips are another issue, but numbers are positive.

In a vacuum I agree with you that our attendance is impressive. But the fact it's dipped is what should be concerning to the front office. Why are fans not coming back, and how do we get them back?

For the record, I don't think Yankee Stadium is as big a turn-off for most fans as it is for some of the people on this forum. If you know where to sit, it's can be a very good place to watch a game, and the atmosphere for the soccer games is better than most people would expect.

For the record, I don't think Yankee Stadium is as big a turn-off for most fans as it is for some of the people on this forum. If you know where to sit, it's can be a very good place to watch a game, and the atmosphere for the soccer games is better than most people would expect.
The problem is that a good view is the exception. In most of the SSS, almost 100 percent of the seats have optimal views. In YS, there are a few pockets of decent views, but it's mostly a very poor fit for soccer viewing. I think that most STH learned this the hard way in season 1, and there were probably 18k STH who were disappointed with being 100 yards from the pitch.

Even filled, Colombia Columbia University would be a completely different feel since there’s no beer.

Reactions: JayH

isint that football field still small? i think when the cosmos tried to go there there was plans to add sod around the track