2018 Roster Discussion

Dude is made of glass. Honestly. No chance we can sell him now during the summer/winter.

We need to target a LB this summer as Ben Sweat can do it all himself during the rest of the season.
We should transfer him internally to Australia. With the number of injuries he’s sustained in such a short period of time, he’s damaged goods and no team will take him except on a free transfer. He could dominate in that league and hopefully not have to exert himself as much as he’s doing, and CFG could do him a solid with a long contract there.

Dude is made of glass. Honestly. No chance we can sell him now during the summer/winter.

We need to target a LB this summer as Ben Sweat can do it all himself during the rest of the season.

Seems a bit harsh. Anyone can pick up a two-week injury, regardless of their history. No reason to suppose from this that Mata won't bounce straight back. Could even extend his season with us. Though I feel terrible for him.

Also, did we really have an existential discussion about whether CFG has a future because they made a low-level hire who was a Man City fan? Cool!

Reactions: Yankeedom
We should transfer him internally to Australia. With the number of injuries he’s sustained in such a short period of time, he’s damaged goods and no team will take him except on a free transfer. He could dominate in that league and hopefully not have to exert himself as much as he’s doing, and CFG could do him a solid with a long contract there.

We'd at least want to look at whether his injuries are likely to recur. I'm no doctor but none of this looks related to me.

Screenshot_20180618-050225.jpg

We'd at least want to look at whether his injuries are likely to recur. I'm no doctor but none of this looks related to me.

I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. On one hand, it would be nice to say “ok he has a bad knee” and see if it can be solved. Or “his knee is shot, let’s move on”. Instead, we have a player who just can’t help picking up different ailments every few months. There’s no real solution. And they all could have lingering consequences. You can’t pencil him in as a starter anymore, because you can’t count on him to be available all season. He’s become a great super sub, but at his new salary, that’s a luxury we can’t afford.

Repeat injuries even for not the same part of the body may be a larger medical problem regarding his overall health.

He can’t be claimed a starter as adam adam stated above because you can’t count him for the entire season and you can’t even count him for 90 minutes. There’s a largely likelihood you’re going to have to use a sub on him than another player based on potential injury.

I still think Matarrita’s best position is from the midfield forward on the left wing. Throw him on if you need a goal.

Reactions: adam
I’m not sure if that’s a good or bad thing. On one hand, it would be nice to say “ok he has a bad knee” and see if it can be solved. Or “his knee is shot, let’s move on”. Instead, we have a player who just can’t help picking up different ailments every few months. There’s no real solution. And they all could have lingering consequences. You can’t pencil him in as a starter anymore, because you can’t count on him to be available all season. He’s become a great super sub, but at his new salary, that’s a luxury we can’t afford.

Right, this is my point: we're speculating. The difference between an injury prone player (which is a real thing!) and one who's just had a run of bad luck (ditto) is indiscernible from where we sit.

With the news that Cedric Hountondji is apparently out for a long while (rest of season?), it's worth thinking again about priorities in the summer transfer window (opens July 10).

His absence means we have only 3 center backs, and one of those, Chanot, has got some other unexplained issues going on. Last year, we ended the season with so few center backs that we had to play Sweat there against Columbus, and while he did a capable job, I don't think we want to repeat that situation. I would have preferred to start the season with 5, and certainly don't want to be stuck with the 2.5 we have now.

On the other hand, people have correctly identified the need for a good box-to-box mid. Herrera's injury means we are down to 3 strong guys in midfield, so another injury or a suspension leaves us using Tommy, Kwame or Sands.

So, which is the higher priority? Centerback or Midfield?

https://www.hudsonriverblue.com/201...ndji-has-surgery-on-ruptured-hamstring-tendon

With the news that Cedric Hountondji is apparently out for a long while (rest of season?), it's worth thinking again about priorities in the summer transfer window (opens July 10).

His absence means we have only 3 center backs, and one of those, Chanot, has got some other unexplained issues going on. Last year, we ended the season with so few center backs that we had to play Sweat there against Columbus, and while he did a capable job, I don't think we want to repeat that situation. I would have preferred to start the season with 5, and certainly don't want to be stuck with the 2.5 we have now.

On the other hand, people have correctly identified the need for a good box-to-box mid. Herrera's injury means we are down to 3 strong guys in midfield, so another injury or a suspension leaves us using Tommy, Kwame or Sands.

https://www.hudsonriverblue.com/201...ndji-has-surgery-on-ruptured-hamstring-tendon

Midfielder. More important towards us winning games.

Vieira said we'll score more than we'll concede, meaning high scoring games. I think Dome will keep that philosophy.

You can get a good value CB and a TAM midfielder.

You can get a good value CB and a TAM midfielder.

I like this idea. Any CB we get will be for depth (assuming Chanot pulls it together). The midfielder we get will see a lot more time and may even be a starter. Heck, if Herrera is gone after this year, then we may be pulling in a guy who will start long term.

I do think getting a 4th CB is perhaps more important than getting a 3rd midfielder to play behind Maxi.

Midfield for sure. Ofori played well in Herrera's role against Atlanta and should do fine as a starter, but McNamara and Awuah aren't good enough backups for him or Maxi—I'd almost rather see Medina in midfield or Ring and Sands playing together. We need a third CM stat.

On the CB front, nothing wrong with a depth chart of Callens, Chanot, Ibeagha, and Sands. Maybe the kid will even get a few minutes now and then. New pastures, greener pastures.

Last edited:
Midfield for sure. Ofori played well in Herrera's role against Atlanta and should do fine as a starter, but McNamara and Awuah aren't good enough backups for him or Maxi—I'd almost rather see Medina in midfield or Ring and Sands playing together. We need a third CM stat.

On the CB front, nothing wrong with a depth chart of Callens, Chanot, Ibeagha, and Sands. Maybe the kid will even get a few minutes now and then. New pastures, greener pastures.
Chanot has too many injury concerns not to sign someone. Sands just is not built enough to play CB in MLS right now.