2021 Schedule Thread

Of the 17 MLS Regular Season matches in 2021, how many will be played at Yankee Stadium?

• Total voters
can you send me a message for when it’s ok to start thinking about the next game? I enjoyed the HECK out of the win yesterday and the fact that NYCFC turned its season around.

And yes, I didn’t see it coming - I fully thought NYCFC was cooked - I said they wouldn’t make the playoffs and I was wrong. Full credit goes to Deila and the team for winning the last 3 games and saving their season.

Some of us like looking at the bigger picture - now that our expectations have been recalibrated, we want more. We want this team to make a run in the playoffs unlike every other year - and the team needs look to beat Philly to set themselves up instead of getting a 5/6/7 finish and most likely being one and done again.

it is possible to enjoy the wins and also keep the bigger picture in mind.
The game is next sunday. Today is sunday. The miami win happened yesterday. Logic would dictate, give it a few days? We're not the players, we're the fans. The players need to worry about the next game now... We don't. We can enjoy the previous successes up until the next game. Notice how even pundits tend to, in the beginning of the week, give reviews of the previous week and only do future game previews at the end of the week? That's also a good indicator.

It's like, imagine we won MLS cup and the day after you guys started posting "Well now we need to make sure we retain the cup. Not happy until that happens".

And there's no problem with wanting more. I can say we all on the forum want more. We are just as "calibrated" as you guys are on making a run in the playoffs and wanting a home seed. But we also recognize the fact that there's nothing we can do about it except waiting for sunday, so we choose to just enjoy the recent game and form, rather than stress and worry.

The forum's been in a very pessimistic downswing recently and I think we could do with some more optimism and happiness for successes rather than pessimism on what's yet to possibly maybe happen.

I can understand the frustration that some are feeling about the feckless 500 and why they're cautious about the recent run of good form. If anything, the last few games have shown that we could have easily wrapped up a top 4 spot much earlier on, and potentially have challenged NE for the Shield.

That said, we should be very happy with being undefeated in 4 games, 1 loss in our last 6 games, and only conceding 3 goals in those 6 games. We're playing really, really well, and Ronny deserves a lot of credit for making some risky changes when Tinnerholm went down.

I'm pumped for this team, for the first time in a while. I get the caution from some on here, but this is what sports is about. Being devastated when we lose and losing hope in bad runs of form, only to ride the wave when we play well and get that spark of hope for the end of the season. Maybe we do end up 1 and done in the playoffs. Maybe we win the Cup. Probably something in between. But I'm here for the ride, and I think most everyone on this forum is as well.

COYBIB!

God forbid the team has a slump. I know in the premier league a slump gets the coach fired, but that's such an unreasonable way to run a sports team or, frankly, to be a fan of one. Slumps will happen, that's why the season is so damn long, so hopefully the slumps and hot streaks even out and you get a pretty fair representation of what the team actually is.

There are a lot of ambitious franchises in this league having far worse seasons than we are.

No team is or should be nearly as ambitious as we are. That’s not what we were sold. Sorry. Maybe you weren’t here from the beginning.

No team is or should be nearly as ambitious as we are. That’s not what we were sold. Sorry. Maybe you weren’t here from the beginning.

We were sold competitive and we are competitive. Obviously we all want to be supporter shield winners and mls cup winners, and the latter is still possible. This team is capable of supporter shield.

Teams have years where they don't don't perform to their expectations. A few years ago we performed very much to expectations. This year we had such an amazing defensive performance (we are just about at 1 goal per game) that had our attack been better at certain stretches, we'd easily have been top of the league. It happens.

Man City had a bad year a few years ago surrounded by a bunch of incredible seasons. Bayern a few years ago almost lost the title to Dortmund. It happens. This year was a fluke year in our attacking category, and most of our stats showed us to have much more goals scored than we did (and even then, we have 55 now which is only 7 short of our best year at 63.) Even with that, Taty is top goalscorer in the league at the moment.

We were sold competitive and we are competitive. Obviously we all want to be supporter shield winners and mls cup winners, and the latter is still possible. This team is capable of supporter shield.

Teams have years where they don't don't perform to their expectations. A few years ago we performed very much to expectations. This year we had such an amazing defensive performance (we are just about at 1 goal per game) that had our attack been better at certain stretches, we'd easily have been top of the league. It happens.

Man City had a bad year a few years ago surrounded by a bunch of incredible seasons. Bayern a few years ago almost lost the title to Dortmund. It happens. This year was a fluke year in our attacking category, and most of our stats showed us to have much more goals scored than we did (and even then, we have 55 now which is only 7 short of our best year at 63.) Even with that, Taty is top goalscorer in the league at the moment.

We were not sold competitive. We were sold a world class team in a world class stadium.

We were not sold competitive. We were sold a world class team in a world class stadium.

And if you believed that in full, there is a bridge in one of the boroughs that might be for sale.

MLS is a minor league in the soccer world. It is competitive, it is growing, but it is - to borrow from another sport - the MAC compared to the SEC. Any claim that the team would be "world class" was puffery and salesmanship.

For MLS, NYCFC has been successful and on the high end. Playoff results have been disappointing, but since founding the team has made the playoffs 6 of 7 seasons and has one of the highest (if not the highest) point totals over the past five years. In a salary cap league, that is top end.

For MLS, few teams have spent as much on players since 2015. Few teams, if any, have had as many young players develop and move to larger leagues (with more to come).

It is all perspective. Watch NYCFC like a fan of Northern Illinois, not like a fan of Alabama, and it makes for a much better experience.

(Promises of a world class stadium, however, could reasonably be kept. No excuses there.)

An ATL-RB tie would be ideal, as it would mean RB can't finish above us, and due to tie breaker, a tie vs philly would be enough to secure us at least one home playoff match. (though obv we want a win and the #2 spot).

And if you believed that in full, there is a bridge in one of the boroughs that might be for sale.

MLS is a minor league in the soccer world. It is competitive, it is growing, but it is - to borrow from another sport - the MAC compared to the SEC. Any claim that the team would be "world class" was puffery and salesmanship.

For MLS, NYCFC has been successful and on the high end. Playoff results have been disappointing, but since founding the team has made the playoffs 6 of 7 seasons and has one of the highest (if not the highest) point totals over the past five years. In a salary cap league, that is top end.

For MLS, few teams have spent as much on players since 2015. Few teams, if any, have had as many young players develop and move to larger leagues (with more to come).

It is all perspective. Watch NYCFC like a fan of Northern Illinois, not like a fan of Alabama, and it makes for a much better experience.

(Promises of a world class stadium, however, could reasonably be kept. No excuses there.)

So then the Club lied to you then is what you are saying. And you’re ok with that. Got it.

So then the Club lied to you then is what you are saying. And you’re ok with that. Got it.
Not trying to come off in a bad way, but I'm genuinely curious why you're still a fan of NYCFC, if you have such down opinions on the team? Locality specifically? Other reasons? Or maybe you're not as down on the team as you seem on the forum, but it just comes off that way?

Genuinely curious!

Reactions: FootyLovin

They never lied. There was never a promise that NYCFC would be the biggest club in the world. The team has delivered on a par with the best teams in MLS since 2015. Complaints about the stadium are fair, but point totals and transfer spending has been at the MLS ceiling, not the floor.

If one wants NYCFC to bring in players at the level of a Premier League team or win the Shield and Cup every year in a capped league, then prepare for disappointment.

They never lied. There was never a promise that NYCFC would be the biggest club in the world. The team has delivered on a par with the best teams in MLS since 2015. Complaints about the stadium are fair, but point totals and transfer spending has been at the MLS ceiling, not the floor.

If one wants NYCFC to bring in players at the level of a Premier League team or win the Shield and Cup every year in a capped league, then prepare for disappointment.
To add to this, Our season could have easily been a record breaking season if our forwards had scored the goals they did in less routs and more of the games we tied or lost. It just happens like that sometimes.
New England in 2020? 8th place and 32 points. good for 1.39 ppg. And then they won the shield this year while breaking records.

There is only one team that has been in the top five of each of the last 5 seasons: NYCFC
1635812166769.png

I included 2021 because I think it's very likely we make top 5 again this season.

Not only that but half of these playoff seasons have us in 2nd or higher. How is that not "world-class" on an MLS level?

Reactions: Gotham Gator
From the get go. And occasionally most seasons when tbey do ticket renewals.

Is this a serious question?

they promise a stadium and looking for space for one. i dont recall "world class" it can be stadium in the city limits and be dump and its probably mission accomplished for them.

edit: as for the team, id say yes championship team should be a demand. but "world class" team do not exists in MLS. even the best Atlanta/ Toronto/ LAFC were elite MLS but world class? no.

Not trying to come off in a bad way, but I'm genuinely curious why you're still a fan of NYCFC, if you have such down opinions on the team? Locality specifically? Other reasons? Or maybe you're not as down on the team as you seem on the forum, but it just comes off that way?

Genuinely curious!

You don’t quit your club. I’ve invested a lot of time and money in the club. I won’t walk away. But I will reduce my time and money commitment.