2022 Roster Discussion

Here is our part of an interesting thread that shows graphically how much of a team’s production from last season has left the roster.

Each column represents a game from last year. The boxes in each column are the players in that game arranged from highest performance to lowest. The GIF fades out the boxes for the players who are leaving.

Here is our part of an interesting thread that shows graphically how much of a team’s production from last season has left the roster.

Each column represents a game from last year. The boxes in each column are the players in that game arranged from highest performance to lowest. The GIF fades out the boxes for the players who are leaving.

Rolling on the floor laughing at replacing Medina’s production being key.

Reactions: Amon

replacing defensive production ( tracking back, putting pressure on opponents) yes i would get that. offensive production? lol no. i feel losing gudi offensively with the crosses and assists and free kicks feel like a bigger loss. i know medina has his run in the start but no way offensively he is such a huge loss.

edit: a winger is needed in his place for sure but no way we are terribly worse off without him.

Reactions: Kjbert
He was actually quite good the first half of the year. Went sharply downhill later in the season, but he was pretty clutch for us in the early stages offensively.
I actually thought he was quite poor the first third or so of the season, even though he was scoring goals. Even drafted a whole post about it that I scrapped because the next third of the season he was quite good, even though scoring less. And then the final third of games back to being poor.

Was Thiago Martins not mentioned here yet? I think he's our half of our Sands replacement (replacing the CB side of Sands).

Been out there on Reddit and Twitter for a few days:

"Marinos defender Thiago Martins (26) will be fully transferred to New York City FC on the 1st. Chiago, who has already reached an agreement between clubs and has finished the farewell greeting to finalize the transfer negotiations, including the medical check, has left the team. ...

"Chiago, who joined in the summer of 2018 with a loan transfer, became the cornerstone of high-line defense with his overwhelming sprint ability, and the season he joined greatly contributed to J1 retention. In 2019, he became one of the key players in the J1 championship for the first time in 15 years. In the off-season, he switched to a complete transfer and has continued to play an active role as a core player since then."

"02/02/22 We are pleased to inform you that Thiago Martins has left the team after making adjustments on the premise of a transfer.
Currently, Thiago Martins has received an offer from an overseas club and is proceeding with negotiations and adjustments on the premise of transfer.
We will inform you as soon as the details are decided."

Was Thiago Martins not mentioned here yet? I think he's our half of our Sands replacement (replacing the CB side of Sands).

Been out there on Reddit and Twitter for a few days:

"Marinos defender Thiago Martins (26) will be fully transferred to New York City FC on the 1st. Chiago, who has already reached an agreement between clubs and has finished the farewell greeting to finalize the transfer negotiations, including the medical check, has left the team. ...

"Chiago, who joined in the summer of 2018 with a loan transfer, became the cornerstone of high-line defense with his overwhelming sprint ability, and the season he joined greatly contributed to J1 retention. In 2019, he became one of the key players in the J1 championship for the first time in 15 years. In the off-season, he switched to a complete transfer and has continued to play an active role as a core player since then."

"02/02/22 We are pleased to inform you that Thiago Martins has left the team after making adjustments on the premise of a transfer.
Currently, Thiago Martins has received an offer from an overseas club and is proceeding with negotiations and adjustments on the premise of transfer.
We will inform you as soon as the details are decided."

THIAGO THIAGO CONNECTION PLS

Reactions: Kjbert
We knew he was coming. But as a DP? A DP defender? Scratching my head at this one.

Makes sense with a 3 atb like ManhattanValley ManhattanValley mentioned above. But I’m a 2 atb who would sit? Callens or Chanot? Probably Chanot yeah? Or are we’re crazy enough to move Callens to a RB roll. Definitely not something we’ve tried before with limited minutes but I think he could potentially do it.

I have to wonder if Ronny is thinking of moving to a back 3 next season, especially with Tinnerholm out for most of the season.

Either that or the tea leaves everyone is reading on Chanot are accurate and it was just the right opportunity, albeit a little early, to sign and integrate his replacement.

This sounds like a player who could be a step up from him though.

Lots of reasons he could be a DP. Transaction cost. Above $600k salary.

So why not make him a DP for now, cut his budget charge to something much lower and it allows you to probably bring in another $400k of salary.

Then you can buy him down to a TAM or regular charge player when you find DPs this summer

Don’t forget that Sands played RB in a Berhalter-esque formation at the end of last season.

Reactions: KevinJRogers
Three-at-the-back would be interesting - particularly given our fullback situation. And if one of them is injured or otherwise has to miss, then we can go with two.

Certainly, if someone has to sit, that one is Chanot. Callens is younger and left footed. It's a bit risky since Chanot and Callens have been such an excellent pair for years and know each other very well.

As for right back, Thiago Martins apparently has excellent pace, but I still doubt we are really considering him there. Chanot doesn't seem a good choice either, and Callens being left footed takes him out of that role. If, however, we go with three-at-the-back, that means we could put Grey at wingback, but also try one of our midfielders - thereby covering for Tinnerholm's absence for a good portion of the season.