2022 Roster Discussion

CFG will be buying Taty’s contract. I assume this is good for GAM reasons.
Girona is a CFG club so Taty is being taken care of through the family. I hope this ultimately gets him what he wants. Would of rather he finish the MLS campaign and then transfer but I guess it’s better for Girona he be integrated from jump this season.

This is super sad. Taty is the definition of a star in MLS born through hard work and appreciation.

He is an example of a player that doesn't need to be a european star moving to MLS in order to have a following. Taty built his own following and legacy here, and you can really see it in the fanbase, as well as the way other teams and pundits talk about him.

Definitely one of the best players to walk through the NYCFC doors
It's getting reported all over the place now. Pretty telling CFG wants to keep him in the organization.

Sad to see him go, but he'll make some money in La Liga, and beyond. And maybe get a better shot at La Albiceleste, which is what I think he really wants most.

It's getting reported all over the place now. Pretty telling CFG wants to keep him in the organization.

Sad to see him go, but he'll make some money in La Liga, and beyond. And maybe get a better shot at La Albiceleste, which is what I think he really wants most.

I don't read it as "they want to keep him in the organization" as much as I get that no one would pay the $15M and they didn't want to sell for less than that, no?

Crazy to me that this guy hasn’t gotten a $20 million offer from a European club. Given other deals I’ve seen lately. Taty not only is a goal machine, he works his ass off all over the field, never complains… slight card magnet but improving on that front as well.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kjbert
I was fortunate to attend a promotional meeting that NYCFC hosted between some corporate targets and Ferran Soriano in 2019. Ferran described that CFG has a strategy of using its network of clubs to find talent and develop the players for bigger clubs and maybe even for Man City. He specifically mentioned Taty as an example of how this should work. Remember, this was in 2019.

I don't read it as "they want to keep him in the organization" as much as I get that no one would pay the $15M and they didn't want to sell for less than that, no?
I don't think we know enough yet to say one way or another, although by all indications Leeds at least were willing to come up to the number. Nottingham Forest was also floated quite a bit. But CFG didn't have to do this either -- they could have let him stay with us until the end of the MLS season, or even the end of his contract, under the argument they were building value. They obviously wanted to keep him happy.

He's also such a success story when it comes to the proof of concept. Our concept is that you come play for NYCFC, and you can go to Europe. We now have two players -- Jack Harrison and Taty Castellanos -- that we developed for that exact purpose. We have other players like Yangel Herrera that came here and is later having success overseas. We will continue to get young exciting developmental players because of what Taty and Jack have accomplished, and some of them will even continue to help us win trophies, as Taty did.

Gonna miss watching him every week, but wishing him nothing but the best in the next stage of his career. What a joy he's been to watch.

In December-January the consensus was Taty would be sold then but Sands needed more seasoning. Then the club agreed to a maybe-pay-me-later deal for Sands and figured another half season of production and the primary European transfer window would unlock Taty's value. The weird sad thing is that Taty has played about as well as could be hoped and it seems to have had no effect. I understood the lack of offers 6 months ago. He won Golden Boot in an off year with a relatively low goal total, and really only put it together the last half of the season. It was reasonable to think it maybe was a fluke. I don't think you can say that now. But here we are.

Last edited:
In December-January the consensus was Taty would be sold then but Sands needed more seasoning. Then the club agreed to a maybe-pay-me-later deal for Sands and figured another half season of production and the primary European transfer window would unlock Taty's value. The weird sad thing is that Taty has played about as well as could be hoped and it seems to have had no effect. I understood the lack of offers 6 months ago. He won Golden Boot in a off year with a relatively low goal total, and really only put it together the last half of the season. It was reasonable to think it maybe was a fluke. I don't think you can say that now. But here we are.
A little anti-MLS bias, maybe? Or concern about all the fouls? He had 83 last year, I think, which is a mind-blowing number for a striker. He was offside a lot too, about twice as much as the next closest guy among the top goal scorers.

Whatever the dynamics, the European demand for him does seem, shall we say, lower than expected. The $15 million ask seems to be right in the range: his listed value on Transfermarkt in April was €12 million. It's not like the team was asking for the Moon.

Romano did say CFG is "now rejecting other proposals," though. That at least implies somebody wanted him. Could it be the transfer plus personal terms was too high?

I'm disappointed it wasn't a bigger club. He deserves it and doesn't need to be fighting relegation. Feels more like an exposure move more than anything.
I was hoping for Leeds. But I did a quick search on Girona FC and their roster looks really light in the attack. Their only listed forward is their captain, Cristhian Stuani, and he's 35. So, figure Taty to get all the minutes he can handle.

Reactions: Schwallacus
Girona may not be a big name, but he’s going to play in the 4th?? Best league in the world and probably start 40 games between now and next summer.

He has a blank canvas. Go crush it.

I’ve seen no reporting on the fee. Can someone remind me the GAM rules from sales again?

Girona may not be a big name, but he’s going to play in the 4th?? Best league in the world and probably start 40 games between now and next summer.

I’ve seen no reporting on the fee. Can someone remind me the GAM rules from sales again?
  • A club shall receive 95% of the corresponding transfer or loan fee revenue from any transaction involving a player that is NOT a Homegrown Player or a U22 Initiative Slot Player.
  • The club may assign up to $1,102,5000 of the transfer/loan revenue as General Allocation Money. In the case of Designated Players, transfer/loan revenue may not be assigned as General Allocation Money. In the case of U22 Initiative Slot players, please refer to the section on U22 Initiative Roster Slots. The remaining balance of the club's share (if any), and which cannot be traded, will be distributed by the League to the Club as cash.

And MC showcases him in the top tier and profits through multiple sales after he crushes it and then crushes it again. If Leeds sells Jack to Newcastle for 35 million like the gossip rags are reporting, MC gets yet another big payment through future profits clauses. Great biz for the mothership. And we reaped the benefits and have the hardware to show for it. And we also get to root for the kid wherever he goes. My kids were checking out Girona kits today (I forgot that the Ronald McDonald kit was theirs, ugh). The blueprint works!

Kind of underwhelming move for him and any younger player looking for a big move out of MLS in the future

I can’t believe a wolves/villa /Palace type team didn’t take a gamble on him for $15 million

Reactions: banana kick
So we will have $1.15 million to use. So you pay down Maxi and a couple others PLUS you pick up Taty’s cap hit.

Club needs to go out and get a #9 in this window. Heber May finish the season as our starter but his contract runs out after this season.