2023 FIFA Women's World Cup

moogoo

Registered
Elite Donor
Nov 8, 2017
NYC
Didn't see a thread for this yet.

Anybody actively watching? I will catch whatever games I can just to have some soccer on.

International level women's soccer can be entertaining as well with some real talented players.

Can the US 3-peat? My guess is no.

• Love
Reactions: Shwafta
I'd love to watch, I watched almost every match of the last one! But it's so hard when the games are all at like 11pm or later. :/

Reactions: moogoo
I remember staying up for the U20 World Cup when the kickoff times were crazy. I'm not doing that again.

Even the final at 6 AM ET is a bit of a stretch for a Sunday.

Reactions: moogoo
Caught the last 20 minutes of Ireland v Australia this morning, Irish were unlucky to not get a point. Honestly thought the tournament started tonight :(

Not watching the 3:00am ones but watched Ireland/Australia this morning and anticipate watching Canada/Nigeria tonight. Looked ahead a week or so and there's usually one match in the morning and one at night at reasonable-for-the-east-coast hours.

Reactions: JayH and moogoo

i kinda like that the refs in the WWC are using a mic to announce their decision after VAR review. next step is letting those viewing at home listen to the ref/var discussion.

Watched a bunch of matches, very entertaining. One thing I've noticed is they're showing possession stats in three parts—team A %, in contest %, team B %—which is interesting. So instead of something like 60/40, it'll be 50/25/25, which seems like it'd be a lot more accurate and more reflective of what's actually happening in the match.

Reactions: moogoo and JCMore
I've only seen the USA game yesterday, but I agree with both Seth Seth and M moogoo 's points with the minor distinction of I'm not a fan of hearing the ref/var discussion while they are making their decision. I think the refs need a little bit of privacy when discussing with their Vars. No need for fans to be involved in the process.

Watched a bunch of matches, very entertaining. One thing I've noticed is they're showing possession stats in three parts—team A %, in contest %, team B %—which is interesting. So instead of something like 60/40, it'll be 50/25/25, which seems like it'd be a lot more accurate and more reflective of what's actually happening in the match.
I think they did that breakdown in the men’s World Cup too? I definitely remember seeing it somewhere

Reactions: Gotham Gator
Most possession stats are based entirely on completed passes, not time. It’s a shortcut that is usually close enough and saves a lot of work. To break it down between A, B and neither means someone has to track the time. Might be a while before that becomes the norm.

Reactions: Kenny
Bot skepticism made me reluctant to click. But that was quite a goal. The kind of skill I've been waiting to see in the USWNT matches.

Reactions: Schwallacus
John Mulaney Snl GIF by MOODMAN

There was no universe in which I was going to stay up to watch that, but I'm certainly glad I didn't in reading about it.