2023 Leagues Cup

it totally is messi league soccer now. what a game by both teams, but messi gets all the credit. lol. no one is talking about how dallas were the only team to give miami a game thus far.

that first goal from miami is classic jordi alba -> messi connection. i bet he's been missing that setup the 2 years he was at PSG...

Hate watching Union v. New Jersey

I am in no way rooting for Red Bull, but dear god the Union are insufferable. I hope they lose in heart breaking fashion.

nashville likely losing with a very tough handball call. by the book yes. but damn hard to swallow if i were nashville..

Did I miss something? I watched nashville lose on PK's 5-4 and then apparently they've won 6-5? I'm so fconfused I Can't even telling you.

FWIW, I pretty much never watch non-NYCFC MLS matches. Leagues Cup and Messi are reversing that. So I guess Leagues Cup worked on me. Though I do hate that it stops the season for so long.

I wonder if a future iteration could stop the season for 10 days for the group stage like an international break and then pepper in the elimination rounds as mid-week affairs.

I watched the Nashville/CA shootout this morning and timed it because I knew what was coming. There were 7 minutes between the apparent last kick and the retake. It was about 3.5 minutes from the not-winning-kick and anyone (except maybe the refs) realizing there was a review.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shwafta
A ridiculous proportion of these games are going to penalties I guess that’s what no extra time gets you .

A ridiculous proportion of these games are going to penalties I guess that’s what no extra time gets you .
Teams play for the pens start a certain point because it's easier than trying to go for a winner and getting caught out,I guess?

I watched the Nashville/CA shootout this morning and timed it because I knew what was coming. There were 7 minutes before the apparent last kick and the retake. It was about 3.5 minutes from the not-winning-kick and anyone (except maybe the refs) realizing there was a review.
Yeah, even the commentary and Apple stuff were all showing ca win graphics and stuff. So strange. I wonder if and why nothing was communicated for so long

Ok so it turns out ......... club america keeper came off his line so they actually continued on and nashville then won:

I didn't even notice because I just turned off the game as soon as pens ended.... whoops! lol

this is what i did and was confused when the result was posted on MLS. i thought "stupid MLS... how could you make that mistake?" lol. so i went to look at the posted highlights... it cut off right after america "won". crazy... CONCACAF AFTER DARK!

Reactions: JayH and Shwafta
Teams play for the pens start a certain point because it's easier than trying to go for a winner and getting caught out,I guess?

at least with the games i've seen, there haven't been any teams that have played for PKs. everyone seems to be happy to go forward and attack or at least "play their style". no one is choosing to do a 2021 RSL and park the bus and hope to squeak by. it's nice to see.

Yeah, even the commentary and Apple stuff were all showing ca win graphics and stuff. So strange. I wonder if and why nothing was communicated for so long
I think everyone was focused on the pitch invaders and the security guards they injured.

• Angry
Reactions: JayH and Shwafta
this is what i did and was confused when the result was posted on MLS. i thought "stupid MLS... how could you make that mistake?" lol. so i went to look at the posted highlights... it cut off right after america "won". crazy... CONCACAF AFTER DARK!
Yeah, the highlights confused me so much as well. And then when I went back onto the full match to find the re-takes, I accidentally skipped over them to the post-match and thought i didn't miss anything in between. Wow. Ended up going back to the "miss" and then scrubbing by 10 seconds until i found it lol.

Reactions: moogoo