2023 Leagues Cup

The Minnesota Toluca game went to pens because of a PK/second yellow VAR call at '73 which I think was correct but only happened because I also think the ref gave Toluca a corner on what should have been a goal kick.

Watching the RB Philly PKs was a natural way to confirm that I still dislike the RB more. I couldn’t help rooting against the RB even for Philly.
Semi-related. ASA ran an interesting article 2 months ago about passing. Well worth reading but the very short of it is in big European leagues, a team that excels in passing stats is also a good winning team, but in MLS the correlation does not really exist. The theory is in the Premiere League, eg, there is a vast difference between the talent levels of the best and worst teams, so the good teams play pretty football and the poor ones play bunker, kick and run. But the talent disparity in MLS is nowhere near as big because of the salary cap rules. So the best teams do not necessarily feel free to play an intricate passing game, and poor teams sometimes try and fail.

Anyway, a very simple ranking of MLS teams shows that 4 of the 10 ten shield teams also rank top 10 for fewest passes per game: St. Louis (#1 on both lists), Philly, Cincinnati, and Nashville. But the Red Bulls sit at #2 on fewest passes and #21 on the Shield table.

As another comparison, 3 teams are top 10 both for most passes and on the Shield table: Seattle, Columbus and LAFC.

NYCFC #4 on the most passes table and 25 on the Shield table.

Anyway, it has seemed to me for a while that while the Union play that style, they also have very solid skills, while RB plays 1970s hockey. Hit people, grab the puck, and dump it in.

Mo Edu getting relegated to a sideline reporter for the Inter Messi match is a shame. Great announcer. Should be in the booth in the stadium or elsewhere.

Wearing a sweater with the sleeves cut off in South Florida tho… ooof. What you doing my man?

Reactions: Kenny
In four games last night there were 2 PKs, 2 Red Cards and 2 own goals.
No regulation draws through. As others mentioned it seems there have been a lot but not really. The percentage of draws in MLS in 2023 is 28% and in Leagues Cup it has been 30%. I think we're noticing it more because of the PKs.

Last edited:
3 minutes into the Miami-Philly game and “best XI” Elliott is slow as shit on a simple long ball and Blake forgets how to play goal and it’s 1-0 Miami.

It’s like this is scripted or something. Why can’t Philly make ass mistakes like that against NYCFC.

What will be funny is if Philly loses this and for all its efforts in the Leagues Cup it comes close but not enough for another trophy.

3 minutes into the Miami-Philly game and “best XI” Elliott is slow as shit on a simple long ball and Blake forgets how to play goal and it’s 1-0 Miami.

It’s like this is scripted or something. Why can’t Philly make ass mistakes like that against NYCFC.

What will be funny is if Philly loses this and for all its efforts in the Leagues Cup it comes close but not enough for another trophy.

especially against josef who doesn't have the same legs he used to.

also - i'm just glad to have a game to watch. lol. thankfully it is messi. easy to root for him against philly.

Philly is making dumb ass stupid mistakes this game - so out of character. I expect Scooby Doo and Fred to pull off the Union jerseys to reveal NYCFC jerseys underneath or something.

Reactions: twsj91
IMG_6863.jpeg

Philly putting in a classic NYCFC 2023 performance tonight.

absolutely amazing. was this the domination of miami or philly playing intimidated or a bit of both? definitely class and clinical finishing from miami. blake mistakes and philly defense just did not seem as relentless as they usually are... especially when they play against us lol. they foul us a whole hell of a lot more i feel like?