Away - 02/25 SKC

All of that is a feature of playing him there and adding someone who can actually defend in place of an RJ Type. One mid stays home, call it Herrera. Then you have Herrera and Chanot, Callens, and probably Mata ready to stop a counter.

It's all about getting your top players on the field.

It's all about points through wins and ties. We are coming off seasons where we allowed the most goals in the league and allowed the 4th most goals in the league.

If we have an average defense with our talented attack our GD for the season will be in the 15-20 range. PV shifts to 3 in back when we need goals to capture points. We probably should see it a few times this season depending on the matchup just to keep our opponents off balance, but the 3-2-2-3 (PV even shifts to a 3-3-4 at times) shouldn't be our long term solution for the season.

Lets face it, if we were just trying to put our top players on the field in their natural position we would probably be playing a 1-5-4. We are going to have serious talent on the bench every game.

My current hot take is that T-Mac will not be on this team by the end of the season. He does not fit the ideal wing that PV wants and does not look like he has the engine to be a box to box guy.

I think that someone like Rodney Wallace playing on the left side with his defensive work rate is someone that really helps Pirlo. If Pirlo plays that LCM spots like he did last season, playing between Wallace and Ring should be fine, but I do think that we are preparing our midfield for the post Pirlo era. I would also except alot more squad rotation this season. Pirlo played way too much and I think their was a downtick in his performance at the end of last year because of that.

I think the main reason Pirlo went the distance, in 2 games this preseason and a good portion of another is that coach had an issue with his fitness coming in. Gave him a break yesterday because he played 180 in a 7 day span. Don't think it had anything to do with trying something different. However I feel that if we're behind and lethargic in the second half he's likely the first to come off.

It's all about points through wins and ties. We are coming off seasons where we allowed the most goals in the league and allowed the 4th most goals in the league.

If we have an average defense with our talented attack our GD for the season will be in the 15-20 range. PV shifts to 3 in back when we need goals to capture points. We probably should see it a few times this season depending on the matchup just to keep our opponents off balance, but the 3-2-2-3 (PV even shifts to a 3-3-4 at times) shouldn't be our long term solution for the season.

Lets face it, if we were just trying to put our top players on the field in their natural position we would probably be playing a 1-5-4. We are going to have serious talent on the bench every game.
Let me rephrase, it's about keeping RJ Allen off the field.

Previous posts have flirted with it, but I figured it's worth being explicit – PV loves the 3-2-2-3 / WM.

Johnson
Chanot Callens Mata
Pirlo Ring
Camargo Maxi
Harrison Villa Wallace

Overload the center and play an absurdly high line so the lack of defensive width doesn't matter. We have enough pace to handle balls over the top now. Finally. I'm not that worried about Mata as a LCB. It means we're OK without a starter-level RB too. We have a lot of interchangeable pieces that fit into this shape too. Lots of #10s.

Agree that Herrera looked very capable. He just looked like he had so much time on the ball compared to a lot of the other players, and he was in fine company.

Thoughts on Johnson?
Thought Johnson looked great. Worked well to distribute the ball and help get us out of trouble with the back line. A bit shaky when he had to boot it forward but that's not what PV is looking for anyway. Great save on the penalty. Fully extended.

Last edited:
That type of sick pass from Jack to Maxi on the goal when Jack had drifted to the middle is in line with my continuing belief that he eventually ends up off of wing and at CAM. It may not be this season with our other pieces, but I just see a comfort level when he is playing behind the play in the middle that I see just a bit less of when he's on the wing. I still think he's a very effective winger, but I continue to suspect it's not his natural spot.

Last edited:
HOT TAKE INCOMING:
I know I'm going to get a ton of shit for this, but I thought Ethan White did well as a sub, he had some good interceptions and I didn't notice that much attack being generated from his side for SKC. I will, of course, have to go back and watch to see if I am completely wrong, and he is not going to be much help in generating attack on the right flank, but he seemed like a good late game defensive option at RB. I am not saying he deserves to be in the XI, but maybe he has actually improved under Vieira and can actual be used to help close out a game every once in a while.

Reactions: Kjbert
HOT TAKE INCOMING:
I know I'm going to get a ton of shit for this, but I thought Ethan White did well as a sub, he had some good interceptions and I didn't notice that much attack being generated from his side for SKC. I will, of course, have to go back and watch to see if I am completely wrong, and he is not going to be much help in generating attack on the right flank, but he seemed like a good late game defensive option at RB. I am not saying he deserves to be in the XI, but maybe he has actually improved under Vieira and can actual be used to help close out a game every once in a while.
I didn't see anything glaring, but if I recall, most of his shift was played 11v10. He's fine as a 4th CB, the problem lies in that we failed to address RB again so we have RJ, Gomez and white for that spot.

I didn't think Gomez looked very good in preseason. I am higher on RJ then most here. I think he's a smart player and he plays good defense, (shut down giovinco two years ago) and hits a great cross. He didn't get much time in preseason, one bad game shouldn't put him in the doghouse

Very disappointed in Gomez this preseason as well. I hope it's just rust and recovery. He needs games

Reactions: Jock
I noticed a lot more aerial crosses in the behind the scenes. Last year, we seemed to keep the ball on the ground a lot in the final third.

Reactions: Kjbert
HOT TAKE INCOMING:
raw