Away - 03/21 Colorado Rapids

This was a good result overall - Kreiss is a good poker player - don't want to give all your cards away- its too early in the season. lets not forget we are a new team and the players have to play more games to be able to read each other better.

Reactions: obsession600
We stole a point we played awful. Although Facey got screwed with a bad call but it didn't matter. Saunders was great again.

Reactions: NYCFCP
Give credit to Kwame for getting some big clearances and blocks after he came on toward the end

I just feel like the team that's been starting for us aren't our real starters.

I want to see Mullins and Calle start. Maybe even Shelton needs to start, too.

Reactions: Tom in Fairfield CT
I just feel like the team that's been starting for us aren't our real starters.

I want to see Mullins and Calle start. Maybe even Shelton needs to start, too.
I agree. We always look better after Kreis changes the team up, too.

3 games now Shelton has completly changed things when he comes on. Not sure how much longer Kreis can bench him. I get that he's been a great super sub, but he can handle a full match and 90 minutes of his quality would do wonders. Nemec isn't terrible, but Shelton is just much better.

3 games now Shelton has completly changed things when he comes on. Not sure who much longer Kreis can bench him. I get that he's been a great super sub, but he can handle a full match and 90 minutes of his quality would do wonders. Nemec isn't terrible, but Shelton is just much better.
And today it wasn't just him coming on and exposing tired defenders with his pace. It was everything.

Am I the only one who thought that challenge was reckless, especially when he was already on a yellow, and Facey was lucky it didn't go to the spot?

On first blush I thought it was a penalty and for me that was a clear yellow. Too bad because the first yellow by Facey was a foul he had to make.

For me Poku, Shelton and Mendoza are starters in the long run, maybe Calle too.

Saunders
Williams Hernandez (John) Mendoza Wingert
Mix Jacobson Poku
Velasquez/Calle (Lampard)
Shelton Villa

Meh, Facey's young and in a strange land with much travel and crazy weather swings as you go from game to game.

Plus, its still early in the season. I really didn't think his second yellow was yellow worthy but its not up to me I guess.

Now time to hope Orlando loses and DC United draw.

I think our guys were intimidated by a moustache much stronger than Brovsky's roaming the sidelines:

CApyYbSUYAArGNu.png:large

Some on BigSoccer are saying Colorado is "a blackhole from which no soccer can escape."

Reactions: MagnusPax
Wow...just watched the game. It's nice that MLSlive gets the archive up almost immediately after the game. The downside, they used the Colorado broadcast which was......AWFUL. Also, that stadium and their fans are depressing. The Rapids had a free kick from just outside the box late in the game and the entire stadium is sitting down. What a shame. I am very anti-pro/rel for MLS, but this match was a great argument in it's favor, at least for a business pro/rel. If you have a franchise that sucks so badly who built a terrible stadium and have the most pathetic fans, you should be relegated out of the league!
I'll write my thoughts on the match itself later.

Reactions: NYCFC_Dan
Horrible first half. Mediocre second half... Great result, a point away, I'll take it!

My grades:

Saunders: 7
Made spectacular saves as needed. Total stud. Colorado so bad though with finishing, didn't make it hard enough on him.

Facey: 3
Horrendous game. No ideas when getting forward. Frequently out of position, and a second yellow, could have easily been a PK.

Hernandez: 6
Good in defense, generally lackluster distribution.

Wingert: 5
Beaten to the ball twice, could have men punished by better forwards.

Brovsky: 5
Rarely passed ball forward. Did have some probing runs in second half. Scary defending.

Jacobson: 4
Not helpful in the midfield. Loses possession, and passes backwards.

Mix: 6
Technically sound, but made some uncharacteristic bad decisions.

Grabavoy : 4
Seems to be unaware he has lost a step, makes runs like he expects to have more speed, then is beaten to a spot.

Velasquez: 6
Best of the outfield players. Showed energy, able to dribble, but no end product, schooled on defense in the box, giving up a good chance.

Villa: 6
Poor first half, better in second. Lacked energy, like the whole team. But so close to a goal and inches from an assist.

Nemec: 5
Best game so far, but looks totally out of place when shooting.

Subs:

Shelton: 6
Showed flashes, I can't see an argument against him starting. In great position to score on villas cross, batted away by Irwin.

Calle: NA
Had two touches, hit a great cross field ball, but red card limited his contribution.

Siriboe: 6
Looked decent in bunker mode. Had effective clearances and defended well down a man.

Team looked like it was not prepared for altitude, if it is possible to do so. Lineup is a ticking time bomb, the results of three games have been in spite of a lot of weaknesses. Need to see what the bench can provide.

Reactions: Paul
As the first half rolled on, I was just hoping and praying we took a point I would be happy with that. As in the Orlando game we started slow, Rapids easily controlled the play. Nemec shouldn't be starting he's slow and doesn't bring much to the team, As the second half began we finally had some chances a few of them. Shelton is our super sub, I understand people asking for him to start. But I perfer to have him coming off the bench injecting life into our team with his speed, energy and will. Villa easily had our best chance of scoring in the second half he looked liked much better. Thank God for Saunders easily man of the match saved us over and over. Facey challenge wasn't that awful but it was dangerous espically when your playing with a card but he's a young player will only grow and learn. Happy we at least took a point, it's only gonna get harder from here.

My thought on the game? Lampard can't come fast enough. Grabavoy and Nemec are frustrating Villa and me... they are just too slow and out of position. At least Khiry can replace Nemec tomorrow. Lampard might be a step slow, but at least I have confidence he'll be well-positioned. So where's Frank?