Away - 06/25 Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pirlo has been absolutely incredible in his passing recently, especially last game. For someone at the end of his career, he still has really, really quick hips that can hit a ball in any direction in a twitch. Hope he stays on form, and collects a few more dangerous passes.
Forget about his passing... that juke move where he receives the ball, feints rights as he pulls the ball hard left, and leaves the defender wrong footed. He did that about 3 times to the same guy last week and it worked every time. You'd think they'd expect it after a while, and yet when they do he goes to the right.

You can expect it all you like and know it's coming, but he's Pirlo, and he'll still beat you.

I'll miss his slow turns into space when he is gone. Like Brek Shea said, he "runs like my dad" but all of the sudden he is alone in space and ready to make the killer pass. He does it dozens of times every game and it is wonderful every time.

I don't think he was the right move for the team, but I'll defend his individual performance any day and I'm grateful to have had him with us. He is a truly unique player and it is a privilege to watch him play.

Last edited:
I don't expect any changes in the lineup except for a replacement for Hernandez. I suspect that will be White, but could be Mena.

More interesting will be the bench. Who will the subs be?

Anyone know if Bravo is ready to come back? For this game, I think we stick with Iraola to help with possession in any case.

I agree with leaving Iraola in as our central mid and leaving Allen as our right back. The Sounders attack has suffered with the absence of Dempsey, but we shouldn't underestimate some of their remaining options.

Our attack will be fine. It's the defense that I'm worried about. My guess is White will slot in next the Brillant as he's gotten more PT than Mena.

Reactions: JayH
I don't expect any changes in the lineup except for a replacement for Hernandez. I suspect that will be White, but could be Mena.

More interesting will be the bench. Who will the subs be?

Anyone know if Bravo is ready to come back? For this game, I think we stick with Iraola to help with possession in any case.
I had assumed as well since he has been ahead of Mena on the depth chart all offseason. Then Glenn Crooks and Robert Abramowitz, who presumably have pretty good information, were rather definitive in saying that it will be Mena. Here's hoping. So much more upside.

I believe Bravo isn't even traveling with the team this week. The Bravo vs. Iraola debate once he is back is a fasciniating one.

Reading Schimd's comments from the last game, I swear MLS coaches must get a book with quotes in preseason. He sounds just like Vieira.

"We created a number of really good chances. We had a couple of chances we should have scored."

"We just have to continue to play the way we're playing, because our tactics were right. We talked about the tactics and we talked about how we wanted to play and the guys followed that, and I thought we opened them up fairly well, you know."

"You have to keep doing what you're doing. It's not we're not creating chances. We're creating chances, so we have to continue to do that and we have to continue to believe in how we're playing."

Reactions: Goodfella
I love the fans that end up on the commercial flights with the players. It's great stuff.

Waiting for someone here to ask him why he didn't berate Lamps for 6 hours about his lack of commitment to NYCFC.
Or at least ask him what was in the letter that that fan gave him a couple of games ago *eye roll*

Jokes aside, great story. And well done to that fan for being a fan without being obnoxious.

Mendoza is out as well.

New York City FC

• Connor Brandt - OUT
  • Federico Bravo - OUT
  • Steven Mendoza - OUT

The lead in to this match on ESPN is Croatia vs. Portugal (Round of 16). We may have another television issue with our club if there's some hail delay like there was in a previous Euro match or more likely extra time and/or PKs.

ESPN2 is showing the NCAA World Series starting at 3 PM until 6 PM so there's no way we'll be on ESPN2.

So the start our of match may be pushed to ESPNNews unless they just push back the kickoff time like they did on FOX for that game that happened at home that one time.

Reactions: adam
Forget about his passing... that juke move where he receives the ball, feints rights as he pulls the ball hard left, and leaves the defender wrong footed. He did that about 3 times to the same guy last week and it worked every time. You'd think they'd expect it after a while, and yet when they do he goes to the right.

Imagine for a moment being a soccer fan and not liking Andrea Pirlo.

These people exist.

Reactions: Christopher Jee
Status
Not open for further replies.