Away - 4/15 Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to be defensively sound against Atlanta in MBS.

You need Herrera and Ring to slow down ATL as soon as they get possession of the ball (either in their own half or especially on the turnover). ATL lives for the transition goal.

Also, I bet they will want to get some minutes for Barco in this game so get ready for the hype.

No need to overthink the lineup. No need to over think the tactics for the opponent. I get we are going into a hostile environment and playing the best competition we have this season, but so are they. While their attack is phenomenal, they're defense is very mistake prone. Vieira just needs to continue what he's been doing.

Can Villa go a full 90? Ring's a lock to start over Ofori IMO. and for the love of God, please start Matarrita over Sweat.

No need to overthink the lineup. No need to over think the tactics for the opponent. I get we are going into a hostile environment and playing the best competition we have this season, but so are they. While their attack is phenomenal, they're defense is very mistake prone. Vieira just needs to continue what he's been doing.

Can Villa go a full 90? Ring's a lock to start over Ofori IMO. and for the love of God, please start Matarrita over Sweat.
Weren't Joe and Ian talking last night about PV potentially wanting Mata to start at Yankee Stadium because of the narrowness and that Sweat might start away from home? I was trying to eat dinner and watch at the same time so I didn't hear the conversation really well

Weren't Joe and Ian talking last night about PV potentially wanting Mata to start at Yankee Stadium because of the narrowness and that Sweat might start away from home? I was trying to eat dinner and watch at the same time so I didn't hear the conversation really well

That was definitely said. I also think that'd be a case of overthinking it as other than positioning, Mata is entirely better than Sweat.

That was definitely said. I also think that'd be a case of overthinking it as other than positioning, Mata is entirely better than Sweat.
Mata played great last night, no question, but he got undressed a few times that led to incredibly dangerous crosses that would have been finished by a better team. Everybody is singing his praises of going forward, as they should be, and he did make some great defensive stops, but if Sweat got undressed on those same plays that Mata did, there’d be a line of posters looking to highlight it and tear him down. Praise when praise is due, and highlight errors accordingly.

Let’s not forget that RSL is as shitty of an attacking team as we’re gonna see this season.

Mata AT HIS BEST is better than Sweat, I agree. We saw a glimpse of that last night. I think we'd be fine offloading Mata after the season and going with Sweat in 2019, especially if he has a good WC. We may be able to get a lot for him in a favorable scenario.

Mata AT HIS BEST is better than Sweat, I agree. We saw a glimpse of that last night. I think we'd be fine offloading Mata after the season and going with Sweat in 2019, especially if he has a good WC. We may be able to get a lot for him in a favorable scenario.
Maybe, but who knows how much the ambient quality of MLS will improve by next year. We're swimming in Garber bucks so I wouldn't be surprised if Sweat is outta sight in a couple of years.

Reactions: mgarbowski
I'd like to see both Ofori and Ring on the field and go defensive versus Atlanta with our offensive built through building out of the back and counterattacks.

We're obviously not going to see a lineup like this. It will be Ofori or Ring, and Villa or Berget up top. Maybe Wallace? I think I have a new game in mind.

------------Shradi--Medina-------------
-------------Maxi-Herrera--------------
------------Ring--Ofori------------------
-Sweat-Chanot-Callens-Tinnerholm-
--------------Johnson--------------------

I'd like to see both Ofori and Ring on the field and go defensive versus Atlanta with our offensive built through building out of the back and counterattacks.

We're obviously not going to see a lineup like this. It will be Ofori or Ring, and Villa or Berget up top. Maybe Wallace? I think I have a new game in mind.

------------Shradi--Medina-------------
-------------Maxi-Herrera--------------
------------Ring--Ofori------------------
-Sweat-Chanot-Callens-Tinnerholm-
--------------Johnson--------------------

Honestly, I don't like this lineup. Atlanta is going to score -- they're as potent an offensive team as we are. Put our best offensive XI out there and go after them. If we play a defensive lineup, we will get beat.

Also not a fan of changing the formation for a game like this. The team is comfortable in the 4-3-3, don't reinvent the wheel.

Josef was apparently back in training this morning wearing a cast, not much more info out on that at the moment. So it appears his status is still up in the air

Reactions: Kjbert

The issue I have with this idea is that Ofori plays deep, but he doesn't actually provide much defensively. Very few tackles and interceptions. His playing style is closer to Pirlo than Ring.

Herrera and Ring provides more defense than Ofori and Ring. Defense is played all over the pitch, and Herrera gets plenty of tackles around midfield or even more advanced, while Ring sweeps what gets thru.

Can we please, please beat Atlanta just so their fans can shut up?

Atlanta’s fans will NEVER shut up.

As for the pundits, over/under on the number of articles on MLS.com about Atlanta if they win? 4? (Note: if Barco plays and scores, that number goes up to 6).

Looking at WhoScore.com for this game, something interesting...

Atlanta has scored 13 goals this season. 5 are from open play, 1 from a set piece, 2 from the counter attack, 3 penalties, and 2 own goals.

The own goals are similar to counter attacks as that's how they usually happen. We are the best defense that Atlanta will face so I don't see those penalty goals or own goals. And we're more organized, limiting the five open play goals.

We've scored 11 from open play, 1 set piece, 1 counter attack, 1 penalty.

https://www.whoscored.com/Matches/1...e-Soccer-2018-Atlanta-United-New-York-City-FC

Status
Not open for further replies.