Away - 4/22 Portland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that isn't crazy confident about this game? I'd be happy coming out of Portland with a draw.

This is only their second home game of the year and Providence Park and that environment is always really tough, and we are traveling cross-country to do so. They haven't been in great form lately, though did win their last match 3-2 and had another called back, they can score.

They still have lots of talent, and my opinion on this team this early into the season is that they will eventually figure it out. I hope that doesn't start on Sunday.

Also, I'm not sure we've ever dealt with two massive environments on back to back occasions. At Atlanta followed by at Portland is about as good as it gets from an environment standpoint.

Am I the only one that isn't crazy confident about this game? I'd be happy coming out of Portland with a draw.

This is only their second home game of the year and Providence Park and that environment is always really tough, and we are traveling cross-country to do so. They haven't been in great form lately, though did win their last match 3-2 and had another called back, they can score.

They still have lots of talent, and my opinion on this team this early into the season is that they will eventually figure it out. I hope that doesn't start on Sunday.

Also, I'm not sure we've ever dealt with two massive environments on back to back occasions. At Atlanta followed by at Portland is about as good as it gets from an environment standpoint.

I’m more confident for this game than I was for ATLANTA. The experience yesterday on turf will hopefully mitigate its impact against Portland. I just hope Tajouri-Shradi is healthy and Sweat rides the pine.

I’m more confident for this game than I was for ATLANTA. The experience yesterday on turf will hopefully mitigate its impact against Portland. I just hope Tajouri-Shradi is healthy and Sweat rides the pine.
I wouldn't get your hopes up on Shradi. Hamstring injuries can be really tough, so I would expect him to be out longer.

But I would absolutely love to be wrong about that.

Why is the Portland field turf? Because of all the rain? They didn’t have proper drainage installed when the baseball stadium was built years ago? Just kind of odd.

Also they’re pitch is incredibly small since they renovated the stadium to be soccer. I remember when I first started watching MLS it was around the same time PTFC was coming into MLS existence and people complained about it constantly. Kind of odd all that talk has died down. I guess we saved them from that?
Field is also used for the women's team (Thorns) and for college football, so it gets a decent amount of use. Most likely reason is a mix of football (American) plus the rain would leave it being a mud sludge between August and November.

Field is also used for the women's team (Thorns) and for college football, so it gets a decent amount of use. Most likely reason is a mix of football (American) plus the rain would leave it being a mud sludge between August and November.

The reason that providence park is turf has to do with the low wet ground - in fact I believe a small stream actually went through where the park was initially built. A grass field would struggle to drain properly.

Portland Timbers v New York City FC
Providence Park (6PM ET)
REF: TED UNKEL
AR1: ADAM WIENCKOWSKI
AR2: MICHAEL KAMPMEINERT
4TH: NIMA SAGHAFI
VAR: KEVIN TERRY JR.

Ted Unkel refereed 0 NYCFC matches in 2017. In 2016, Unkel referred our 3-2 loss at home to RSL where 1 penalty was issued for NYCFC and four yellow cards (1 NYC, 3 RSL). Also in 2016, Unkel referred our 3-2 loss at Columbus where 1 penalty was issued to NYCFC four yellow cards (3 NYC, 1 CLB) and 1 DOGSO red card that resulted in to the penalty to Columbus (which would not be a red card in 2018).

The reason that providence park is turf has to do with the low wet ground - in fact I believe a small stream actually went through where the park was initially built. A grass field would struggle to drain properly.
That's just an excuse. This stadium has been around since the 1890s. They werent playing on artifical turf in 1893.

We also weren’t there in 1893 to know if the field drained properly either. Maybe it’s an excuse and maybe it’s not.
That's bullshit reasoning. Take that to a moon-truther forum or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.