Away - NYCFC vs Columbus 4/16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom in Fairfield CT

Registered
Elite Donor
Donor
Jul 16, 2014
Danger in Kei Kamara, but they also have a good midfield and wing play. Will love to see Finlay vs Matarrita. I continue to hope Hernandez gets a rest. Mena had a great game against Kamara last year. I don;t see why a 442 is not an option to get bravo and pirlo on the field since our wings have underwhelmed anyway.

-------------Johansen---------------
-------Brillant--Mena-----------
Iraola---------------------Matarrita----
-------Bravo-----Pirlo-------
---Mix-----------------McNamara----
---------Mullins----Villa------------

Danger in Kei Kamara, but they also have a good midfield and wing play. Will love to see Finlay vs Matarrita. I continue to hope Hernandez gets a rest. Mena had a great game against Kamara last year. I don;t see why a 442 is not an option to get bravo and pirlo on the field since our wings have underwhelmed anyway.

-------------Johansen---------------
-------Brillant--Mena-----------
Iraola---------------------Matarrita----
-------Bravo-----Pirlo-------
---Mix-----------------McNamara----
---------Mullins----Villa------------
I don't think Vieira likes Mena. Replace him with Hernandez and Johansen with Saunders and I think you have our line up.

I don't think Vieira likes Mena. Replace him with Hernandez and Johansen with Saunders and I think you have our line up.
I suspect that's right that we'll see Hernandez and Saunders, but curious about you saying that the rest is right. Do you really think we'll see 4 at the back plus Pirlo and Bravo? I think it is the right way to play in this game (either with the front four Tom suggests or with our usual approach but one of TMac or Mix dropping out), but have never seen any indication of Vieira going that route.

I'm pretty nervous about this match. Columbus has been struggling, but they've also played a lot of tough teams on the road. I could see them laying a four spot on us.

Do you really think we'll see 4 at the back plus Pirlo and Bravo?

I think starting Bravo is an absolute must. They have wingers, they have one of the best strikers in the league, but one that somehow gets overlooked is Higuain. Mata is going to do his best to shut down Finlay. Hernandez is going to do his best to not shit himself as he gets smoked by Kamara, and without Bravo next to Pirlo, Higuain will have a field day feeding both of them. I watched in horror as Higuain lost Pirlo easily last year and scored on a corner. We need Bravo to shut him the hell down.

he was injured throughout preseason, so I am hoping his lack of PT is due to getting up to speed. He is so much better than Hernandez. I just cannot wrap my head around Hernandez being our number 1 CB option.

I'm pretty nervous about this match. Columbus has been struggling, but they've also played a lot of tough teams on the road. I could see them laying a four spot on us.

Yup, I totally see this as a match where Columbus figures it out and wins comfortably. Too much of a good team there to sit at the bottom. Look for them to score a set piece and a counter at least.

With Poku's success vs. Columbus last year, do we think it's possible to see him out there? And also, did we ever find out who the team scrimmaged between the NER and Chicago games?

Here's my preview of the Columbus match. This was recorded last night, but you'll see I agree with a number of the comments above. You can also find out how I found cause to compare Stephen Mendoza to Andrea Pirlo -- at least with respect to one moment.

With Poku's success vs. Columbus last year, do we think it's possible to see him out there? And also, did we ever find out who the team scrimmaged between the NER and Chicago games?
Wait what? A scrimmage? Where was that discussed and how'd I miss it?

I can't imagine this is the case, but if anyone is planning to go to Columbus and needs a ticket, I have an extra. 5 rows behind the NYCFC bench, so you can watch Vieira yell at the team.
I have a ticket but would consider this offer, just one? Also how much?

Status
Not open for further replies.