CCL - March 8 - Comunicaciones (Home*)

this may sound weird but i feel more comfortable and better shot at leon than seattle. that travel and turf will end this team.

Reactions: Kjbert
MLS teams are 20-0 when winning the home leg by two or more goals in a CCL elimination round.

(Saw this stat on Bigsoccer, I did not independently verify this.)

That performance from NYCFC really impressed me. Two day break after a cross-country flight against a fully-rested opponent, we looked exhausted after halftime, then we fight back and get those two goals. Incredibly impressive. We have a really special team here that can deal with everything being thrown at them and do what they did tonight. This is a special group.

I thought Cremas played really hard and were tough to break down, but we had some outstanding moves on those goals. Taty was incredible tonight. Maxi was immense. Seattle does look tough, but we look pretty tough too. Nine goals in 3 CCL games. Not too bad.

For those who attended, what was the supporter split? On tv it looked/sounded like it was overwhelmingly in their favor.

For those who attended, what was the supporter split? On tv it looked/sounded like it was overwhelmingly in their favor.
It looked/felt to be about 85/15, not for us. We may have had more sprinkled into the Guatemalan sections than I counted due to the similar colors, but it didnt seem like many.

• Wow
Reactions: Kjbert and JayH
So what's the connection between cream and communications?
Lol. Their home color is cream. But it looks like white to me. Why they are named communication in Spanish is beyond me

Attachments

• C4CF8F3A-2B87-4042-AC6C-26F2EA4E22E3.jpeg
    C4CF8F3A-2B87-4042-AC6C-26F2EA4E22E3.jpeg
    477.8 KB · Views: 2
I was at the game last night. It felt like 98-2 percent Guatemaltecos to NYCFC supporters. All of the ones I talked to were super nice and knowledgeable. It made for a fun experience.

Kudos to the club for providing free buses to supporters who wanted to go. There were two buses total, one from the club and one from the Third Rail.

The stadium up there has better food and beers than Yankee Stadium.

I was a bit surprised by how effectively the Cremas pressed us, but eventually, our talent advantage put us on top.

I hurt today.

Lol. Their home color is cream. But it looks like white to me. Why they are named communication in Spanish is beyond me
Thanks. Didn't even think of cream as a color. WIkipedia confirms your response, and also says that in 1949 the Guatemalan Minister of Telegraph and Communications took over the team and renamed it. Dude was also a military major. later a colonel, and also also took part in a coup, but kind of backed out, but still got a job in the new government, not just T&C but also Public Works and later became Ambassador to the US, but then there was another coup in 1954.
I thought I was busy.

Last edited:
Thanks. Didn't even think of cream as a color. WIkipedia confirms your response, and also says that in 1949 the Guatemalan Minister of Telegraph and Communications took over the team and renamed it. Dude was also a military major. later a colonel, and also also took part in a coup, but kind of backed out, but still got job in the new government, not just T&C but also Public Works and later became Ambassador to the US, but then there was another coup in 1954.
I thought I was busy.
That’s honestly a great story. There’s a team in Peru also named after a college degree, “cienciano fc” or scientist fc based in Cusco. They have a less interesting history because a bunch of students at the school of science started a team. The team is the only Peruvian team to win an international tournament.

Last edited:
That’s honestly a great story. There’s a team in Peru also named after a college degree, “cienciano fc” or scientist fc based in Cusco. They have a less interesting history because a bunch of students at the school of science started a team. The team are the only Peruvian team to win an international tournament.

For those who speak Spanish, I should try to get the audio file of a radio commentator at the end of the match when Cienciano won the Copa Sudamericana against River Plate. Since Cienciano is from Cusco, the former capital of the Inca empire and the "belly button of the world" in Quechua, the guy immediately goes into a furious ranting tirade about 500 years of humilliation and how the world was now going to see what our race was worth, and all other sorts of marvels about the return of the empire, with the (white) Argentinians as stand ins for the Spanish Conquistadors getting thrown out to the sea. All of it not in jest at all. Lemme tell you, the US is a big country but a simple and young country by comparison.

Thanks. Didn't even think of cream as a color. WIkipedia confirms your response, and also says that in 1949 the Guatemalan Minister of Telegraph and Communications took over the team and renamed it. Dude was also a military major. later a colonel, and also also took part in a coup, but kind of backed out, but still got a job in the new government, not just T&C but also Public Works and later became Ambassador to the US, but then there was another coup in 1954.
I thought I was busy.
I guess what I thought were power lines in their crest are actually supposed to be some form of telephone/radio communication cables? I likw how they are open to giving the mountains in their city the ability to speak/communicate with their fellow hills/peaks.
1646832957443.png

I watched the game live last night and sure that I saw contact at some point with Chanot on the Gamboa goal.
Watching the clip today I noticed Gamboa actually elbows Callens in the back of the head and puts Chanot into the turf all in one move on the initial corner kick. Not complaining about a non call. Just thought the human bowling aspect was kinda interesting.

I watched the game live last night and sure that I saw contact at some point with Chanot on the Gamboa goal.
Watching the clip today I noticed Gamboa actually elbows Callens in the back of the head and puts Chanot into the turf all in one move on the initial corner kick. Not complaining about a non call. Just thought the human bowling aspect was kinda interesting.

that ref basically let all sorts of contact go last night. Best was when about four minutes in, Jasson attempts to go past a defender and just gets put down, and the ref says play on. set the tone for the night.

I thought I was busy.

This reminds me to add a short post explaining the GIF of the Game in another thread - perhaps the most obscure one yet.

giphy.gif

Wikipedia also reports that the Club Mascot for Comunicaciones F.C. is the ghost "Gasparin" - which upon further research is what we call "Caspar the Friendly Ghost".